What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt Connector

Mattyg48

Registered
Alias
Matt
Hi all I'm seeking some advice please
I've noticed a section of lights in my backboard are not working after some inspection I've noticed what looks like a
Burnt connector ( see photo) can somebody advise if this is the problem with the lights and where I can buy some new connectors and what are they called? Thanks

Attachments

• 20211125_192346.jpg
    20211125_192346.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 35

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Mr Sinister
That there looks like a burned GI connector at J120 (I can't see the connector number on your photo). Backboard lights are GI (general illumination). Burned GI connectors are very common. Probably 50% of my machines came with burned connectors.

If I am right and that's the burned GI connector then you need to replace it and probably also the pins that it plugs into.

It looks to me like the connector has already been replaced as it is a different type (crimped pins) than the original IDC (like in the connector below). The fact that it has burned again suggests that the pins do need to be replaced or the new plug will also burn.

If you want to replace like original you need to get an eleven way connector like this:

with a keying plug

and if you are going to replace the header pins then this:

and you'll need one of these:

That's my opinion for what it's worth. Others may disagree!

Last edited:

carl lawrence

Site Supporter
As above for all pinball parts ,if you need any help in deciding which part you need I always ask Andy by sending him a email etc he is also known as the legend 👍

Dex-Jay

Site Supporter
Alias
Richard
That's a common fail in Williams/Bally's of the WPC era. I've also known the weight of the cable (& the lower cables) pulling the connector so the connector is at more like an 85 degree angle instead of the 90.
A push back up into position and all the GI came back on. A swap to LED's will help stop these burning again.

OP
M

Mattyg48

Registered
Alias
Matt
Thanks for all the great advice people. im very new to the pinball world and learning a great deal about things from you the experts it's amazing how you are so happy to help👊

Asiapinball

Site Supporter
I have found it much better to use Molex Trifurcon 0.156 phosphor bronze crimped connectors for this and make sure pins on the board are replaced. I have done this with every WPC I have owned and never had an issue. You may well have issues with the board as this overheating often fries the traces on the board too. If you don't have a de-solder station its best to gently pry off the white plastic from the male pins first, so that you can then de-solder and take out the male pins from the board one by one. Its easy to damage the board (or already have a damaged board from overheating so you may need to use a "stitch" to get the continuity back.

pinballmania

Site Supporter
That replacement connector is also mis-wired. They are always wired like this

From left to right
White-Violet
White-Green
White-Yellow
White-Orange
White-Brown
Violet
Green
No connection
Yellow
Orange
Brown

The connector below is a parallel general illumination. The two plugs can be on either of these connectors.

So with the wrong wiring above, you may be driving two separate circuits from the same fuse ( which may cause it to blow ), and/or driving two circuits from one triac ( The thing on the heatsink that turns a circuit on )

The upshot is that most wpc machines use three circuits for the playfield on one connector and two for the backbox on the other ( there are exceptions ). So where theres a wire in the top one, the bottom one should be empty. SO once you've replaced the burnt connector, if you are not confident to replace the pins, you may find that you have good pins at the once burnt positions on the alternate connector.

Top Bottom