What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadband Providers

Mozcom

Registered
Hi everyone

Been with BT for many years now but the price for BT Infinity 2 with weekend calls is costing me £56 / month including line rental. A colleague has just switched from BT to Vodafone with the same speed and says it good and is only paying £28 / month including line rental minus the weekend calls.

Called BT to see what they could do and would only lower to £37.50 per month, that being still approx £120 more per year.

Anyone else using Vodafone? Don't really want to leave BT as the service has been good but £120 / year is a bit of a difference - why they don't price match to keep you is beyond me

Cheers

It's called making money - on that price Voda is making nothing - it will be an intro offer - with checking out their ratings from ofcom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought you might be the first to reply @Neil McRae lol. But there's making money and then there's retaining custom. Surely it's better to have some of something than nothing at all? And why does it always seem that existing customers are not as well looked aftter after as new?

Don't really want to leave BT as the service has been good but £120 / year is a bit of a difference - why they don't price match to keep you is beyond me

Cheers

BTs Hands are kinda tied. Ofcom wont let them reduce their prices to much. Bizzarely they can sell to their competitors cheaper than they can sell to the public...

I will always have cable (Virgin Media) regardless of the cost as their minimum download speeds are now 100 meg. Always get a constant fast connection and absolutely vital which watching Bowen tutorials on You Tube ;)

I will always have cable (Virgin Media) regardless of the cost as their minimum download speeds are now 100 meg. Always get a constant fast connection and absolutely vital which watching Bowen tutorials on You Tube ;)
Still not in our area [emoji30]

Thought you might be the first to reply @Neil McRae lol. But there's making money and then there's retaining custom. Surely it's better to have some of something than nothing at all? And why does it always seem that existing customers are not as well looked aftter after as new?

It's actually better to have nothing at all!

There are huge myths about broadband and really the only two players are BT and Virgin, everyone else is getting help from the regulator and mostly use BT's network.

Plus net should be able to do you a great deal (part of BT!)

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure I pay £16, Unlimited Fibre, Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls, this is net of a £8 monthly discount

Am on VM, and have been for years....

Plus :
Speed
Ping Times (Gaming)
Engineers (usually are honest and completely hacked off!)

Minus :
If you get a good connection, really good service. If you get a bad one, it's Dire! Had several ongoing disputes with the Executive team (a LOT of the network is oversold around the country). 9 months the first time..... only 2 the second as i kicked up a stink and threatened to take them to Ofcom (I work in the Industry). Unfortunately you cant get any other Telco nearing the speeds they offer.

I have heard the Vodafone offering is quite good from a friend of mine who has it.. Cant comment though.

Another one for Plus net have been with them for years always found them great & very cheap! If you pay for line rental a year up front

btw check that your really need 76M, most folks don't.

Neil.

Think I'm on 50mb.... Not bothered about any faster cos I ain't got a kodi device or any other freebie channel provider....
I'm a tight Yorkshireman but still believe in paying my way.

I loathe Virgin Media

Central London. Paying for 150MB but for the last 12 months+ we've been getting less than 1 MB. Problem is they have oversold the system to such an extent that it all grinds to a halt. There solution is to refund £5 a month. I did ask if I could only pay 1% of the bill as I only get 1% of the service. The "upgrade" is always "next month". Absolutely crap company. I'd leave them for BT if I could but BT infinity stops 100m from my door.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Fought Virgin to get an upgraded hub which they finally agreed to, so we can now get maybe 5MB but it's still up and down.

Inner cities are meant to be better connected etc. There was an article in the Metro recently saying the worse place in the UK only got 3.5 Meg (I think) which was worse than on Mt Everest. I'd be happy with 3.5 if it was consistent. If I try to connect at 3 am I can actually get 60-70 Mb. As such Virgin deny there is an issue as it only affects households during peak hours.
We also can't get a mobile signal in the house. Virgin know there's a problem but addressing it would presumably cost them money.

76Mb.... Lol - I struggle on 200Mb!!!
What on earth are you doing with your internet connection to struggle with 200Mb @Paul? Most of the the schools we support don't have a faster line then that and aren't having any issues with speed!

We've been with Plusnet for years too, long before they become a subsidary of BT and found their service has always been excellent. Controversially they were one of the first ISPs in the UK to prioritise traffic on their network. For most users this is a good thing and allows Plusnet to offer a quality service to most people for a competitive price. They have offered a "Pro" add on option for an extra £5 a month for years now (long before VDSL,) which increases the priority given to certain types of traffic on their network. As fairly heavy users including gaming, we have always opted into this and our connection pretty much always runs at line speed, even when using P2P at peak times. We are lucky that it feels more like a lease line than an contended service.

Virgin isn't available in our area, but even if it was we wouldn't choose to use it. Contrary to popular belief there is more to a decent internet connection than bandwidth and I doubt many here would come close to saturating a 38Mb or 76Mb line not alone 200Mb! If you want to use your internet connection to play games then an 8Mb line with low latency and jitter is far more useful. Virgin seems to have geared their network to deliver big downloads and streaming video at the expense of time sensitive traffic.

The quality of connection available does vary wildly depending on where you live. The speed of ADSL/VDSL connections are largely dependent on how far you live from either your telephone exchange or roadside cabinet respectively. You can get a good idea of the services available and the speeds you can expect by entering your phone number in to the DSL checker here: http://dslchecker.bt.com/ It's a waste of money to pay for an up to 76Mb over a 38Mb service if your line isn't able to support it. Luckily for us, our cabinet is only 100m down the road or so and consequently we see every bit of that 76Mb which is great but most won't.

Virgin connections seem to be a bit of a lottery too. First of all they may not even offer a service where you live. Second, even if it's available the service could be so contended in your area like @johnwhitfield that you'd be lucky to get 2Mb at peak times not alone 200Mb! Unless you live miles away from your exchange, it sounds like you would be better off with a solid ADSL2 connection instead of Virgin. If you're lucky enough to live in an area with few subscribers then I'm sure Virgin can be a good option though as many people rate it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Been with BT for many years now but the price for BT Infinity 2 with weekend calls is costing me £56 / month including line rental. A colleague has just switched from BT to Vodafone with the same speed and says it good and is only paying £28 / month including line rental minus the weekend calls.

Called BT to see what they could do and would only lower to £37.50 per month, that being still approx £120 more per year.

Anyone else using Vodafone? Don't really want to leave BT as the service has been good but £120 / year is a bit of a difference - why they don't price match to keep you is beyond me

Cheers
Have you asked BT how much they would charge you without the weekend calls? Are these something you actually make use of or do you already have more free minutes on your mobile phone contract than you use? Each to their own but I don't think I'd risk jeopardising a connection I was happy with for the sake of £120 a year, lifes too short lol.

I loathe Virgin Media

Central London. Paying for 150MB but for the last 12 months+ we've been getting less than 1 MB. Problem is they have oversold the system to such an extent that it all grinds to a halt. There solution is to refund £5 a month. I did ask if I could only pay 1% of the bill as I only get 1% of the service. The "upgrade" is always "next month". Absolutely crap company. I'd leave them for BT if I could but BT infinity stops 100m from my door.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Fought Virgin to get an upgraded hub which they finally agreed to, so we can now get maybe 5MB but it's still up and down.

John,

Will send you a PM later - exactly the same problem i had...

Cheers
Paul

76Mb.... Lol - I struggle on 200Mb!!!

Paul,
I find that really hard to believe :) ! When you say you struggle what do you mean? Unless you have hundreds of folks in your house or you are running a hugely popular website 200M is hard to use sustainably, even if you run a few 4K streams you are still no where near 200M.

Neil.

What's 76M Neil?

76M is the peak service offered by deliver via BT. Most customers go for the 38M service although some are offering a 55M service.

With regards to Virgin, the DOCSIS platform they use is a shared contention platform; which means your speed depends upon what other people in your street are doing. It has many advantages but consistent performance it utterly fails at. If you are a gamer playing between 8-10pm you are easy pickings ;) See here for ofcoms latest performance measures on latency (ping).

but watch out, we're coming with G.FAST ;) Upto 500M and no shared contention...

Neil.

ofcom_2017_broadband_isp_uk_latency_performance.png

Back
Top Bottom