What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOP Face Guides

biglouieuk

Site Supporter
Alias
robllewellynuk
My face guides on my BOP were horribly yellow and cracked.

IMG_20201220_175450.jpg

I've spent a couple weeks reproducing new ones.

I've tried resin casting, but can't get them to set without being a little bit tacky.. I'd need a pressure pot and a vacuum pot and additive rubber not condensing rubber and and and...

IMG_20201219_181215_983.jpg

I've made them on the CNC from 10mm acrylic, it means a bit of sanding (320, 600, 1500 and 2500) but it does the trick.

IMG_20201219_215607_725.jpg
IMG_20201220_100614_285.jpg

They should do for now, but I think they need to be Lasered. So I'm trying to find someone with some laser skills!
IMG_20201220_175427.jpg

IMG_20201220_175456.jpg

Quite a journey of manufacturing and design, but think we got there in the end!

Been a real labour of love these last two weeks dude. I did start to wonder why I was bothering, but it makes a huge difference.

I've done it so it's a direct swap, screw in, for the old ones.

Resin.. what a ballache that stuff is! (•‿•)

Been a real labour of love these last two weeks dude. I did start to wonder why I was bothering, but it makes a huge difference.

I've done it so it's a direct swap, screw in, for the old ones.

Resin.. what a ballache that stuff is! (•‿•)
My missus is getting a resin cast kit for Xmas so I’m sure I’ll find out🤣

Just noticed this thread and I guess you now sorted for laser.
For future fefrence I can cut upto around 12mm acrylic in 1 pass although only stock upto 5mm in clear.

Col

Hey Col. Most certainly NOT sorted for the laser, I've cut these with my CNC for the time being.

It would be great to see these cut on a laser as I think the sides would be perfect!

Awesome, do you have some pictures? Do they come out well if 3d printed?

Just noticed this thread.
When I when looking for replacement plastic face guides could only find them included with replacement faces.
Great work nice result.

Funny enough just finishing 3D printing deisgn for same parts (See picture).
Testing final design with transparent filament over Christmas holiday. Will post results here.
My design a little different to originals being that they are outlines/hollow.

.Plastic.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Be interested to see 3d printing in clear.

Trialing some on laser and CNC for fun.

2020-12-22 12.52.22.jpg
Don't think I'll need the flame polish. Just the holes to pop in now.

As they are not hollow like originals, they are a bit heavier, 60g plays 30g for originals, full set. Won't be an issue.

I had the gear box opened up last night. Plenty of hard grease in there, but all now cleaned and regreased. I'll see if I can actually put it back together tonight!
IMG_20201221_222817.jpg

Last edited:
Well here's my first test run with orginal face plastic (Top left) and version v2 & v3 design using 3D printer PETG transparent filament.

IMG_0697-2.jpg

Would be interested to hear cost from everyone here on complete set?
My 1kg spool cost £20.99 plus owning or access to printer.

My face guides on my BOP were horribly yellow and cracked.

View attachment 128437

I've spent a couple weeks reproducing new ones.

I've tried resin casting, but can't get them to set without being a little bit tacky.. I'd need a pressure pot and a vacuum pot and additive rubber not condensing rubber and and and...

View attachment 128438

I've made them on the CNC from 10mm acrylic, it means a bit of sanding (320, 600, 1500 and 2500) but it does the trick.

View attachment 128439
View attachment 128440

They should do for now, but I think they need to be Lasered. So I'm trying to find someone with some laser skills!
View attachment 128441

View attachment 128442

Quite a journey of manufacturing and design, but think we got there in the end!

Clear resin is notoriously **** to work with when i cast some mini lab glass wear ive had best results by pre heating both pots of resin. Then preheating a presure pot and carrying on heating the pressure pot while it cures

I cut a load of these out for Someone on the group and they came out perfect.
I still have a couple of sets sitting around so shout if anyone needs em.
I’ve still got some 10mm Acrylic in stock if any more needed in the future.

Col

E1C8FD9C-1D6F-42E8-ABCB-F53F29CAEF0C.jpeg
3E3ED01B-D47C-4FD0-A034-753D289BBDB5.jpeg

Thank you. PM sent. I've got BOP in pieces. Bought it like that a while ago. At some point Ill clear coat it and put back together.

Back
Top Bottom