What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackout Repair

Rpearsonx

Registered
Alias
Brye
Hello Pinballers,

So I’m taking my first venture away from EMs and I’m feeling a bit lost to be honest.
I started looking at the Blackout I picked up and it is isn’t booting at all, just getting the GI lights and the 2 LEDs light up on the MPU Board.
The batteries have leaked so I took the boards out and cleaned them up to prevent it getting worse and checked connections between the 40 pin connector which were all good. I can definitely see damage that needs repairing but I thought I’d get advice from the pros before I do anything at all.
Basically I don’t know whether to see if I can get the board fixed by someone / try and repair it myself or buy replacements?
I’ve started doing a lot of reading and research so any extra info or reading material would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

• 1602EC55-4D62-4B37-8F3B-418C986EAFD0.jpeg
    1602EC55-4D62-4B37-8F3B-418C986EAFD0.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0E1FAC32-08F1-4BBA-BF2B-9301ACB23F8F.jpeg
    0E1FAC32-08F1-4BBA-BF2B-9301ACB23F8F.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 860F372D-82F5-4930-91F2-62369FD977E9.jpeg
    860F372D-82F5-4930-91F2-62369FD977E9.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 32
Thanks, gives me somewhere to start, I’ll do some research and testing and see what I find

@DAD Thanks for those, I can’t lie I am tempted by the one you’ve used, I do really want to learn to fix it but I’m just itching to play it!

do you get anything in the displays?
No nothing from displays, from what I’ve read it seems it’s the blanking signal from the MPU not booting, I can see a orange dot at the base of the displays

If you've not already done so it would be worth reseating all the connectors a few times as problems on these games often come back to the connectors, especially if the game has been stood for a while

The good news is that it looks like the 40 pin connector on the Driver board has already been replaced.

If you then get a game serial number in the top left display, open the coin door and flick the game off and on (possibly more than once) and you may find it will boot

I have plugged them in and out a few times but I’ll give the connectors another check and pray.

Ahh I’m very pleased about that! I though it seemed like a strong connector when I separated the boards.

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind! Because I’m getting no serial number on the display could that mean the fault could be anywhere more specific?

Yes it’s still online, I’ve got that saved and started reading yesterday so I’ll definitely carry on with that, very nice to know it has good recommendations before I read through it thanks :)

I would check your voltages on the power supply and other boards as well,just to make sure it's not that causing an issue.

If you are looking at repairing the board it is likely to be a long, if not ultimately satisfying, journey [emoji846]

Unknown board with battery damage.

First thing I would do is to get that battery holder off the board as it's covered in battery gunk.

Then check power supply voltages as suggested.

Investing in a test chip is a must.

How are you with a logic probe and multimeter?

Not trying to put you off but, as I say, it's likely to be a journey[emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Re. the serial or I.D. number (1495 # for Blackout) being shown in player 1 display; that'll be an indication of successful repair. Without a battery, any pre alpha-numeric Williams game shows its ID in this format when powered up.

Last edited:
No nothing from displays, from what I’ve read it seems it’s the blanking signal from the MPU not booting, I can see a orange dot at the base of the displays
Don't get too hung up on the blanking signal. Its likely to be other issues that cause blanking signal problems.

Orange dots in the display means they are probably OK.

+1 for #DAD's suggestion of the Pinrepair guide.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

@Andy_B It would be great to repair it myself, I’m considering getting the rottendog board so I can play now and take my time repairing (I’m very impatient to play this one haha).

I’ve seen test chips mentioned a few pages I read , do you know where I could get those from?

I’m good with a multimeter (with directions) and have never used a logic probe, I’m on my way to buy one now, so will do some reading on those, thanks.

It’s definitely going to be a journey!

image.jpgA quick update, after weeks of confusion trying to understand what was wrong with the boards I caved and got a replacement one for now! So, it will now play a game at least!! My last 2 issues are no sound in game or on test (possibly Rom issue as I can hear the speaker loudly hum) and the missing digits on player 3-4. Does anyone have any idea where I could get new Sound Roms from and any advice on the displays would be hugely appreciated! I’m so close to playing this now! Thanks in advance.

have you tried swapping the displays into other positions to see if the fault moves with them?

Have you replaced the sound board or was it just the mpu board you replaced? if it’s the old board then it could be faulty.
the missing digits is probably a fault of the display driver board, strange the 100’s out on both p3 and p4 as they are both driven by different ics on the board (i think)

have you tried swapping the displays into other positions to see if the fault moves with them?
Yeah, I just swapped the connectors to the displays around and the issue does move to which ever display is connected

Have you replaced the sound board or was it just the mpu board you replaced? if it’s the old board then it could be faulty.
the missing digits is probably a fault of the display driver board, strange the 100’s out on both p3 and p4 as they are both driven by different ics on the board (i think)
I did just replace the MPU so still the original Sound Board, I can hear the hum increase as I turn the volume up, just getting no sound at all.
I thought I might be a board issue for the displays but I was basing that off the fact the same number was out on player 3&4

Back
Top Bottom