What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Knight Sword Of Rage VIDEO + first info

The teaser didn't really excite me, and not being a huge fan of BK or BK2K, I wasn't particularly interested. However, after watching a stream, I now think it looks great, a lot of fun.

Not that I can afford to buy one, but I can add it to the wish list for 15-20 years from now [emoji16]

Lol if anyone gets 10 years out of a modern stern that will be a freaking miracle. Games are not built to last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True but I think that loop was important. The stream made me more excited about the game so hoping for the best, I think the code is looking epic and lots more to go in!

If we were smart, you could probably work it out based on the time i posted the message.

Edit - try 50 minutes in

Edit 2 - 46:50

I think the Pro might be better on this one. Upper playfields on Sterns are tricky to pull off because they remove them on the Pros and an upper pf is such a huge difference that it's tricky to make a ruleset that works with both. It seems too easy to hit it up there and it's safe once it is so I fear it'll become a negative feature. I would've preferred they only do one version or have the upper pf on both models. Or neither.

Seems like your wrist will get a good work out on the upper playfield as Keith was constantly nudging it to get it to the flipper.

I agree with what others have said. Either he was bored to tears playing it or he was thinking, f@@k this is better than my game. Hard to tell.

I think the Pro might be better on this one. Upper playfields on Sterns are tricky to pull off because they remove them on the Pros and an upper pf is such a huge difference that it's tricky to make a ruleset that works with both. It seems too easy to hit it up there and it's safe once it is so I fear it'll become a negative feature. I would've preferred they only do one version or have the upper pf on both models. Or neither.
The bonus of the top PF is that it gives the opertunity of a double ball lock which spawns a 6 ball multiball mode (3 up 3 down) or that’s the understanding I got from the stream talk

Plenty of player reports this weekend at the MGC.

Over 100 NIB games being opened - that's crazy!

So far, looks like pro is way to go as upper p/f not really a wow factor.

4278d56793b0c2fc624ac7074a07ac5a05cca930.jpg

I'm still not sure if i prefer BK to a Munsters pro....
if i get back into pinball i might have to make the leap and get a NIB.

Review from Levi who has a well respected opinion:

PLayed it.
Love it!
Fast and furious and has personality. Kind of game of throney in the layout department. Love the orbit shots they are both smooth and different. THe left one is a perfect loop pass, the right one sends the ball down straight at fat part of flipper. I also like the far left orbit shot that's into a VUK like F-14.
Game isn't really bricky just the very center. outside shots nice and flowy. Love the flail ramp shot always satisfying. Love that your add a ball shot is an actual shot and not just a stand up or mystery award shot like every other game.
Only big miss is the magna save which is kind of pointless. It ain't 1980 anymore (or 1989 for that matter) and the game is just too fast for the magna save to be effective. For sure the lack of a third button doesn't help at all but even then it probably would only save the slowest of death arcs or bounce arounds. They should have saved a few bucks and just made it a "virtual" ball save you activate (though can you imagine the outrage here?). Or it could have been placed lower in the outlane and chucked the ball back up like Shadow?
One big plus at least (by subtraction) is that so far the action button does nothing except that one function. Fine with me I'm getting very sick of that feature when it's overdone.
All in a all fun fun fun! Stern pro remains the best deal by far in NIB pinball.

Lol if anyone gets 10 years out of a modern stern that will be a freaking miracle. Games are not built to last!

All of these Sterns are currently over 10 years old.
I see no reason why the games currently being produced won't last as least as long.

I see no reason why the games currently being produced won't last as least as long.

I take the point but in my extremely limited experience, the newer games just aren't as well built. They feel noticeably cheaper to me. I mentioned it before but the difference in build quality feel between my Spidey and my GB/IMDN seems kinda big. Again, I have no idea whether the newer titles will hold up long term but they definitely feel less robust.

I take the point but in my extremely limited experience, the newer games just aren't as well built. They feel noticeably cheaper to me. I mentioned it before but the difference in build quality feel between my Spidey and my GB/IMDN seems kinda big. Again, I have no idea whether the newer titles will hold up long term but they definitely feel less robust.
Even SM uses the crappy thin inner leg bolt brackets - and that’s 2007, but otherwise the cabinet is much more solid than a 2017 Met.

And I bet they have never been hammered in a commercial inviroment like the early nineties when pinball was at its height.

Yeah when I say modern I mean from Ghostbustersish onward. Stern changed the wood they use for the playfield around then and there is no doubt it’s ****ter than those games mentioned above.

The more I check the BKSOR the more I like the look of it.
Have to say they def hit a home run on the play-field, lighting and cab artwork, got to be one of the best for sure.
Has anyone pulled the trigger I wonder...
Think the LE is the best of the bunch....but the Premium has nice artwork also..
Really hope the gameplay is cooking👍

Really starting to get excited about this after the reviews from folks on pinside and other places!

Steve Ritchie put this up on Facebook:

Black Knight Sword of Rage Info:

While reading Pinside, I see that some people are having problems with their Pro's. Here's some fixes for you:

1) If the ball is flying off the right wire ramp near the right flipper here's what you need to do: Run the ball up and down gently on the lower section of the wire ramp. You will feel the ball hitting a screw end. Gently lift the wire ramp with your hand from underneath (it's flexible) until the ball flows down the wire ramp smoothly. If it doesn't fix the problem, lift a bit higher and harder. Once set, the wire ramp will stay put, and the ball won't touch the screw any longer.

2) If the Shield one way gate traps the ball under it, do this: With the game turned off, lift the shield with one hand and find the gate wire with the fingers of your other hand. Flex the wire gate all the way up a few times. This gate is a spring gate, with a piece of spring steel forcing the gate to close after the ball passes through to the up kicker. Flex it, and the sticking problems will go away. It will still be possible for the ball to stop under the wire, but when adjusted correctly a few flips on the right flipper lets the ball fall into the up kicker. It gets better with time and break in.

3) Black Knight Sword of Rage was designed to play at 6.5 to 7 degrees. While I realize game owners can do as they wish with their games, this game plays fast at 6.5-7 degrees. Making it steeper is absolutely cheating, because it removes the side-to-side action that makes the game interesting. I hate a float-y game as much as you guys do, ya think? :) It is fun to learn to react with the right nudges and flipper skills to keep the ball in play, and is part of the Black Knight's challenge. It will help improve your game play skills. Side-to-side ball action when mastered also affords some really cool ways of knocking down the drops, scoring the Ball Saver in the left drain and setting up for nice feeds to the flippers. BKSOR has made me a better player, but[emoji146] I am no champion.

With the Premium and LE, a steeper slope is not a good idea. Besides cheating, fewer shots will make it to the upper playfield through the Flail Lane.

All NIB pins need some small adjustments to get them to play near perfectly. If you ask any experienced owners, they will tell you the same thing. While we at Stern strive to make sure your games work well, sometimes things are missed or change in transit and handling. If you aren't a klutz and have some mechanical sensibilities, don't be afraid to make adjustments when something isn't working quite right. If mechanics aren't your thing, there are plenty of people on Pinside that can help you get it right. I'm thinking Lloyd, Levi, and if you ask me for help, I will do what I can. Just write here on my Facebook page. I don't know all games, but I know mine pretty well.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Steve

I hope the premiums don’t take too long to get here ! I’ve got a black knight sized hole in my line up .. 😂😎

0F958526-8867-4F07-B222-EA81506AF0E8.jpeg

Last edited:
I particularly like the part where he says "While I realize game owners can do as they wish with their games, this game plays fast at 6.5-7 degrees. Making it steeper is absolutely cheating, because it removes the side-to-side action that makes the game interesting." as it applies to any pinball machine. I've never understood why so many people insist on jacking the back legs right up to make the game play "harder" as most of the time it has the oppposite effect.

Back
Top Bottom