What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bitcoin for pinball

Right now, the money is in Altcoins. Privacy and proof of stake coins seem to be making a lot of headway.

Still reeling from the Dogecoin pump however. Still have over a million of em stuck in a wallet. If anyone wants 20% of a wallet worth over 11K right now and can help me somehow to get into it, i'd be more than happy to give it to you should you be able to crack my forgotten password (which is some dumb phrase with spaces that i used years ago).

I think the trend is 'cheap coins' honestly. Seems a lot of newbies are getting involved and thinking (hoping) coins like Tron/Ripple etc can reach the dizzying heights that Bitcoin has. Still, I'm ridding the Ripple and think it has a good future ahead.

Ripple can do one! Sold all mine when I found out it was a centralised currency. No one needs that, also the recent news about them being able to freeze accounts and lock up funds really hurt the price. It goes against everything crypto stands for, and I'll never put any more money into a crypto which is backed by a government or bank.

I'm in about 25 different coins at the moment, sold off most of my Bitcoin but still holding about 10% of my portfolio because I use it for trading. I'm absolutely obsessed with Cryptocurrency now I think it's amazing.

Recently joined a group of traders who offer signals for buying and selling, and got a semi-auto/manual trading bot to work with the signals so now I just hand over instructions from my phone. Don't even need to sit around on the exchanges watching charts all day.

So far so good, getting around 30% profits per week. Love it!

Last edited:
You have to be very careful about what you read on the internet Pete!
Here's the official response to that article that talked about freezing Ripple https://www.quora.com/What-are-Ripp...Ripple/answer/David-Schwartz-9?share=43efcdb0

Ripple seems to get a particularly hard time for this misconception that it is centralised. It's mainly because it's so different to the way Bitcoin works. So we know Bitcoin is decentralised, because it relies on the miners to authenticate each and every transaction. But as we're seeing, as the mining difficulty gets harder it can't cope with the amount of transactions it needs to process. I believe it's currently working at around 3 transactions per second globally. To fix this, Bitcoin is planning to introduce the lightning network, which will then rely on hubs to authenticate transactions until they're added to the blockchain.

You could make an argument at that point that it's not entirely dissimilar to the way Ripple works now. Ripple doesn't use miners, it relies on gateways to authenticate transactions, which allows it to process thousands of transactions per-second. Ripple (the company) has no involvement with the gateways, and anyone could in theory host a gateway. I for example bought into Ripple using Kraken, which I think would be pretty far from most people's definition of 'a government/bank controlled institution'

Likewise you have to be very careful what you read from "official" sources because they quite often talk a load of BS. Trust me, out of all the coins listed on CoinMarketCap.com, Ripple is the one to keep out of.

Bitcoin is never going to be used as a day to day currency for buying things. It's digital gold and where you should store your digital wealth. For transactions then Litecoin and Ethereum are ultimately the best, and Litecoin is very fast for sending and receiving, but I'm very much in love with privacy coins - like Monero, ZCash, and PivX, which offer complete anonymity in transactions, and that's another reason to stay away from Ripple.

Does anyone want to buy my 0.2265 ETH at whatever google says the current rate is? (right now I'm seeing about £225).

Likewise you have to be very careful what you read from "official" sources because they quite often talk a load of BS.

Fair enough. But David Schwartz is literally the guy who invented and develops Ripple, so I'd say it's a pretty good indicator he knows how it works :) I'd still argue there is nothing 'government controlled' or 'centralized' about Ripple. You, me or the guy next door could start a Ripple node today if you like.

You may be best using an exchange if you're selling at market price :)

I'm waiting for ID to be approved at a couple of them, but don't they stitch you up on the exchange anyway? Meanwhile, people on localcoins seem to want way over the odds when selling. ETH seems really hard to convert to cash.

Lol. Yeah twas a joke. But semi serious as im bag holding them.,....haha. Had a few too many gin and tonics when showing friends how to buy Alts. Went ape**** and had a right laugh buying loads of poo coins then woke up and realised im bagholding a ton of 'em....lolz.

Lol. Yeah twas a joke. But semi serious as im bag holding them.,....haha. Had a few too many gin and tonics when showing friends how to buy Alts. Went ape**** and had a right laugh buying loads of poo coins then woke up and realised im bagholding a ton of 'em....lolz.
I hope your not bag holding any Trump coin, it only got pumped a few days ago!

This all sounds great but I've no idea what your on about, any suggestions for a newbie? Or is it stay clear?

This all sounds great but I've no idea what your on about, any suggestions for a newbie? Or is it stay clear?

Yes worth a punt but be prepared for a very bumpy ride. Don't invest what you cant afford to loose. Learn all the lingo like FUD, HODL, pumps and dumps etc. Have a strong hand and a strategy. Read up on the coins from the official sources if you can, there is much mis-information out there.

You could start off with the basic top coins using coinbase. It's a nice easy way in.. after that get signed up to one of the exchanges like binance or bitfinex to have access to all the alt coins. Registrations are limited currently but shoud be lifted soon.

Delta is a good app to manage your portfolio and if you get serious about holding large values consider a hardware wallet like the ledger nano s.

Apart from that have fun ;)

when starting out - make sure you can afford to lose the money.

As you buy, be clear in your mind when you want to sell and be disciplined about it. I personally take a five year view on everything that I buy and for bitcoin and a couple of other stocks its paid off, for one other stock it didn't but spreading the risk on a number of things makes it safer for you. Dont be emotional about trading.

Spend a great deal of time understanding how the various trading systems work, many of them have features advantageous to you.

Rule of thumb that I always remind myself of, is the banker always wins, but whilst the risks are high there probably isn't a better opportunity in investing right now - I still think crypto will face regulation soon and thats both a risk and an opportunity. and remember right now crypto has value because people believe it will make a big difference in the future - in 2000 lots of folks thought the same about the Internet and lost billions.

Cheers,
Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
in 2000 lots of folks thought the same about the Internet and lost billions.

And the flipside to that is that if you'd have put a couple of grand into (eg) Amazon in the late 90's, you'd have about a quarter million today. Agree with your larger point though - there will be far more losers than winners in the long term. But still, if you pick a winning horse... This time next year Rodney...

Whatever you use, make sure you know how you're going to withdraw your GBP if that's what you're planning to do. I've had a dabble and decided it's not for me but nobody is making it easy to turn Ether into pounds in my bank. I could convert to Bitcoin but I begrudge the £15 or so that that will cost me.

Good advice, I'm also having a go, feel I've joined the party a bit too late!!
It seems that
1) You buy and lose on the exchange rate.
2) You get charged a fee small % of rate of stock your buying so down from the start!
3) Whatever happens up or down for however long you "Trade" + or -??
4) You sell and get charged a small % of the going rate (you get a lower rate)
5) it costs you on the exchange rate to get your money back to £
6) can take upto 8 working days to get your money?

Initial reactions are you'll need quite a steep rise to make money? Maybe more of a medium to long term, than a short term? And those red and green lights are just like a fruit/pinball machine enticing you in!

Any advice/comments more than welcome

Whatever you use, make sure you know how you're going to withdraw your GBP if that's what you're planning to do. I've had a dabble and decided it's not for me but nobody is making it easy to turn Ether into pounds in my bank. I could convert to Bitcoin but I begrudge the £15 or so that that will cost me.

Ethereum right now is sky high compared to BItcoin. Selling your ETH to BTC should make you a fair bit of profit compared to when you first bought it. Also, I can't be 100% sure as nobody can, but Bitcoin is currently sitting at around £10,500 today which is fairly down compared to where it was. There is speculation that Bitcoin will receive another pump in the next few weeks so that £15 transfer shoulde be pretty insignificant.

Then again, depends how much you're playing with. If it's £50 then ok, but if it's £5000 then £15 is pretty reasonable.

Get a Revolut account for free sepa transfers. Transfer your ETH to GDAX and then verify that with your Revolut account. Once verifed withdraw your ETH to the Euro wallet on GDAX and then send the euros to your Revolut account.

I'd agree with what Pete posted. If however you really just want out, then you need to transfer your eth to an exchange that handles both eth and fiat. Eth has relatively low fees compared to btc, so I'd leave it in eth if possible.

Coinbase and Kraken both allow transfers directly between eth and eur.

Then a sepa transfer from that exchange to Revolut. Convert eur to gbp in revolut (market rate) then transfer from there to your proper bank

Coinbase is proper annoying, they don't deal with Nationwide and whilst it might work with Halifax, I have to do a transfer to them first :(

Edit: just read the posts again (properly), I guess this is where revolut comes in.

Good advice, I'm also having a go, feel I've joined the party a bit too late!!
It seems that
1) You buy and lose on the exchange rate.
2) You get charged a fee small % of rate of stock your buying so down from the start!
3) Whatever happens up or down for however long you "Trade" + or -??
4) You sell and get charged a small % of the going rate (you get a lower rate)
5) it costs you on the exchange rate to get your money back to £
6) can take upto 8 working days to get your money?

Initial reactions are you'll need quite a steep rise to make money? Maybe more of a medium to long term, than a short term? And those red and green lights are just like a fruit/pinball machine enticing you in!

Any advice/comments more than welcome
Just as well you have a recent pinball haul to sell as you'll probably need it....

Never had any experience with Revolut. Has anyone here used it and confirm how trustworthy it is?

Its not actually a propper bank is it?

There is speculation that Bitcoin will receive another pump in the next few weeks so that £15 transfer shoulde be pretty insignificant.

When you say "pump", do you mean the dubious practice of pump and dump or simply that the price will go up? It's more of a slump today.

When you say "pump", do you mean the dubious practice of pump and dump or simply that the price will go up? It's more of a slump today.

Probably both actually, but I originally just meant that a major price rise is on the cards for bitcoin soon. There's a few long term and well respected crytpo investors saying this as well. I mean it might happen slowly, but I definitely think that sometime in February we're gonna see it finally break the 20k USD mark and hit a new high.

And yeah today wasn't nice waking up to see 100bn disappear from the market. Too much FUD going on with China right now and the wealthy dicks on wall street manipulating the market to suit themselves. I can only HODL as my portfolio is maxed out and all in the red, but there's some amazing 30% and even 50% discounts going on for anyone with spare change.

Back
Top Bottom