What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best place to get Stern Shaker motor kit in UK?

It might be a nice project for @myPinballs or @lukewells or someone else with the requisite knowledge/skills to come up with an aftermarket version of these at a more reasonable price - they seem to be hugely expensive for what they are, but there's probably a huge market if they could be produced and retailed for say half the price.

What, like Phil Dixon is doing ? However you have to be on that other group thingy to be in on it, cos Phil doesn't like it here. [emoji3]

Reactions: JT.
It might be a nice project for @myPinballs or @lukewells or someone else with the requisite knowledge/skills to come up with an aftermarket version of these at a more reasonable price - they seem to be hugely expensive for what they are, but there's probably a huge market if they could be produced and retailed for say half the price.

What, like Phil Dixon is doing ? However you have to be on that other group thingy to be in on it, cos Phil doesn't like it here. [emoji3]

Phil Dixon shakers are the dogs danglies, have 3 of them here.

The dedicated shaker controller board included in the first run of shaker motor kits by Phil was designed by me. The newer run of motors is doing things differently with no controller board afaik.

I may do a v1.1 run of the board separately if there is enough interest.

Last edited:
The dedicated shaker controller board included in the first run of shaker motor kits by Phil was designed by me. The newer run of motors is doing things differently with no controller board afaik.

Thats right, they now come with no external board, I was sceptical but fitted one to a Walking Dead yesterday and it works fine. Only for modern Sterns with shaker support obviously.

Excellent :thumbs: It'd be good if someone who knows him or still subscribes to that big pile of pants Yahoo group could give Phil Dixon a nudge to come over to the light-side. Or at least have a non-commission-taking agent over here :)

I may do a v1.1 run of the board separately if there is enough interest.

I'm sure in kit form, with a motor, that'd do great sales. I briefly looked to try and find those motors with a spindle coming out of both ends, but couldn't find them...no doubt you can find them if you know what they're called though.

it doesn't have to be a Stern, Phil's shakers work with older games too, thay just need a 12v source like the flashers

Reactions: JT.
So if we took away 12 v sources we could rid the world of flashers ?
Imagine how nice the parks would be, but feel sorry for raincoat manufacturers

it doesn't have to be a Stern, Phil's shakers work with older games too, thay just need a 12v source like the flashers
Thats phils old design Dan with the interface board, the new design has no external board and just plugs into the 2 connectors on modern sterns.

What, so his new ones can't be used on older games then? Sounds like a backward step, I can't believe Phil would do that. I'm gonna fit mine into MB one of these days when I get round to it.

Not sure if he intends to make both Dan, I had 1 from his first batch with the board and fitted it to BK2K and he said I was the only one who didn't fit it to a stern.

What, so his new ones can't be used on older games then?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think creating the boards for the first batch was a major ball ache and seeing how a lot of people put them in Stern's I don't think he bothered for the second run.

Not sure if he intends to make both Dan, I had 1 from his first batch with the board and fitted it to BK2K and he said I was the only one who didn't fit it to a stern.
Not quite true, I had mine in AFM for a while, tied to a UFO flasher, then I switched it to Stern ST.

I like it better in the ST, with it set to moderate on the Stern settings, so it only goes occasionally but it's powerful when it does.

Not quite true, I had mine in AFM for a while, tied to a UFO flasher, then I switched it to Stern ST.

I like it better in the ST, with it set to moderate on the Stern settings, so it only goes occasionally but it's powerful when it does.
Whats this " moderate " you speak of? :) Maximum use all the way!. :eek:

I was never happy with it in BK2K, whichever flasher I connected it to and whatever duration/strentgh I set it to just didnt feel right.

Having spoken, I've some answers

Phil's latest batch of motors are for Stern (£75 + p&p) but if they are required to be fitted to a non Stern machine he can provide the board at an additional £25

The motors which went missing at 8bit were replaced by Phil at his cost. For that reason motors will not be given to others to deliver third party.

He currently has 10 left of the current batch. If you want one contact him directly.

There is no guarantee that there will be further runs.

Back
Top Bottom