What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Bally Vector

I used to like taking things to bits too. My parents commented that I was terrible at putting them back together though.

Thankfully now I tend to be better - I stripped and rebuilt my Pin and only had 2 pieces left over...... ;-)

Wow! Here's a little tale of maintenance happiness:

After returning from UKPP2014 I was obviously buzzing with pinball and urgently in need of playing yet more pinball, so I fire up VECTOR, my only working pin. After 20, 30 or maybe even 40 games I start to think that maybe the flippers are a bit weak, especially the main right-hand flipper that's used for the key VECTORSCAN ramp shot. Maybe I should service them? I have some new coil stops, sleeves and plunger bushings (they're Bally "linear" flippers) but it's lunchtime at work, so I don't have long.

After checking that the mechanism is totally free with no sticking I wonder what to do? Bing! I'll try out one of those new NEUSES 3-316 Contact Burnishing Tools I got from the US via eBay. Just a few minutes gentle back and forth between the EOS switch contacts on just the right-hand flipper so if there's any change compared to the left it'll be obvious...

VectorHighScore.png

WOW! New HIGH SCORE TO DATE beating my previous best of ~786,000 by a long way - and I set that score back before I fixed the broken tilt mech (VECTOR uses a lot of nudging for the out-lane saucer saves).

But not only that I also set a NEW VECTORSCAN RECORD (the game measures the time the ball takes to travel around the main upper orbit), got my first EXTRA BALL for scoring over 1,000,000 and first ever MULTI-BALL by putting 3 balls up the VECTORSCAN RAMP and into the VECTOR ENERGY CONTAINMENT UNIT!

:D WOOHOO!!! :D

That was exciting. And the moral of the story is... dirty contacts make weak flippers.

Nice one Peter! Just think what will happen if you also clean the mech on the left as well.

:)

Stick it also in the high score thread, it will be useful for other folks with the same game to check and see where they stand. Incidentally, what's the current league highscore for Vector?

Stick it also in the high score thread, it will be useful for other folks with the same game to check and see where they stand. Incidentally, what's the current league highscore for Vector?

1,588,900 by a chap called Paul Brock... hmm that name rings a bell... :wave:

If 1,588,900 is the top league score I might be in with a chance if I take VECTOR to a meet ;) I'm very happy with 1,118,350 :D

Nice one Peter! Just think what will happen if you also clean the mech on the left as well.

Yeah... o_O You can bet that's exactly what I did after a few games. And what happened? The little white plastic spacer on the EOS fell off :mad: This means the switch never opens to kick in the low power coil - if I were to hold the flipper it would overheat and burn out as the high power coil would continuously draw a massive current. The upper flipper is now also dead as the spacer doesn't close the secondary switch to activate it.

Bit more tinkering required... I've managed to "glue" the plastic spacers back on with a soldering iron and some melted polycarbonate plastic.

Managed to fix the little white plastic spacer on the EOS switch today. Whilst rummaging through my box of bits I found some tiny brass pins about 5mm long and 1.8mm in diameter with a flat and thin head. So I drilled a 1.5mm down the middle of the spacer and "crimped" the pin into the spacer to hold it onto the end of the leaf contact. Result! Upper flipper working again and no chance of frying the main flipper whilst holding.

Right! Time to resurrect this "Not Really A Shop Log" thread with some err... shop logging ;)

99% certain I'll be taking VECTOR to NLP for 9-11th October 2015 so I'd better make sure it's as good as I can get over the next 4 weeks.

image.jpg

Just look at that workmanship! Have you ever seen a higher density of mechs, switches and cables? I haven't. And it weighs a tonne. 3 drop-target banks, 4 flippers, 2 slingshots, 5 saucers (1 double), 1 pop bumper and a 6-digit display plus a bazillion switches, lights and expander boards!

Decided I' shall start with the underside. Not going mess around with this like I did on GOLD BALL, just make it play as sweet as possible. First up was a quick feel of all the coil mech. Upper-right flipper has very loose cool due to broken screw on coil-stop bracket and the other is loose. It also had very dirty plunger and EOS is black. Does not slide nicely! Upper-left flipper also has totally loose cool stop and filthy plunger which explains why it's been sticking up recently. I reckon someone hit all the plungers with spray on lube at some point. Main flippers are both sloppy. Slingshots are the newer linear design. Will be putting on the new Nyliners from my group buy along with new sleeves on all could. Upper double saucer is sticking due to bent arm. Needs a fettle. Pop bumper skirt feels rough.

So, plenty to do! More to come in the following days and weeks running up to NLP!

When a vector works properly it is a cracking game. If not, it really is crap.

My appreciation of this game soared when i got it working properly

Mine has been tombstoned since nerg, but i will get it out of retirement tomorrow

I thought mine kinda played ok until @astyy came over on Monday night to play GOLD BALL. We shot a few games on VECTOR but they were very short compared to GB. His synopsis was it's a tough game. Mine was it just isn't playing very well. After my initial inspection tonight I can see why!

Really looking forward to bringing VECTOR up to the same standard as GOLD BALL, at least in terms of performance. The bling can come later!

Trying to decided if I've got enough time to fit a custom Lexan protector? It's that that makes GB so good to play. Perfectly flat and smooth playfield. No cupped inserts or protruding displays!

I did a flipper rebuild on mine with new parts,and the change was amazing,I prefer the 2" flipper I got for the top as well,When I used to play the game in the early 80's as a kid,I never even realised the rules or the fact it had multiball,I even remember going to the change booth and saying the ball had got stuck when it was in the capture saucer,obviously the woman in the booth didn't realise either as she switched it off and gave me a couple of free credits on gorgar which was next to it

Right! Time to resurrect this "Not Really A Shop Log" thread with some err... shop logging ;)

99% certain I'll be taking VECTOR to NLP for 9-11th October 2015 so I'd better make sure it's as good as I can get over the next 4 weeks.

View attachment 20183

Just look at that workmanship! Have you ever seen a higher density of mechs, switches and cables? I haven't. And it weighs a tonne. 3 drop-target banks, 4 flippers, 2 slingshots, 5 saucers (1 double), 1 pop bumper and a 6-digit display plus a bazillion switches, lights and expander boards!

I've taken to showing people a parts-manual picture of the underside of Jungle Lord's playfield, as an example of how complex these things can get. Though I've not actually tangled with one, I find the shall I say 'cramped' conditions under the upper section (an intelligent 5-drop bank, slingshot, eject, the ball entry, 4-lane mini-ball feature and two flippers) more than a little intimidating. At least this was long before the pivoting mechanism came into use, which would've presented all that stuff really low down in the cabinet.

Last edited:
My new Dremel 300 arrived today (eBay "used twice" virtually new) so time to start turning this:

image.jpg

Into this:

image.jpg

Still not doing the full restoration in VECTOR. Just making the important bits clean and smooth so they work at their full potential.

that looks nice and shiny what is it:D
You should know!!! Your VECTOR has four of them ;)

It is a plunger from the later "Linear" style Bally flippers. Instead of a pinned linkage there is a slot that a nylon roller sits in. Have a look on my GOLD BALL thread for a full rebuild.

Some say this late re-design is flawed and advocate replacing with original style flipper mechs. Only the plunger and linkage has to be swapped. Baseplate, brackets, coil and other parts remain the same. Personally I think they're fine. Like any flipper they just need good maintenance.

now you pointed it out i can see what it is
but before i didn't have my sunglasses on:cool:
got them on now:D:thumbs:

LOL @cooldan! I think you could be right though. One of my first weekend jobs as a teenager was polishing floors with a buffing machine! I'd almost forgotten all about it...

Finished off the quick overhaul of the upper mini flipper:

image.jpg

This is minimum amount of effort I'd put into servicing a flipper. I'm in a rush because I want to do all the coil mechs before NLP! In the above photo I did the following:

• Polished the plunger and armature
  • Cleaned and polished the Nyliner at the thin end of the plunger with Novus (ideally I'd fit new but out of stock)
  • Fitted new coil sleeve
  • Polished the coil stop and other brackets
  • Cleaned the coil with IPA
  • Cleaned the main bushing with Novus #1 and polished the inside with Novus #2 then #1 (ideally I'd fit new but out of stock)
  • Burnished the EOS contacts
  • Refitted the coil stop with machine bolts and Nyloc nuts
  • Refitted coil with wires away from end stop
  • Adjusted EOS switch position and gap
This thing is now working like greased lightning! So smooth, no sticking or grating.

Just 3 more flippers, 2 slingshots, 5 saucers, 3 triple drop targets and 1 pop bumper to go...

Another small victory tonight. I'd noticed that the Perspex cover over the embedded 6-digit display in the centre of the playfield had a nasty protruding edge right in the line of the shot to the VECTORSCAN ramp.

So I took off the cover and lifted up the thin paper gaskets used for padding to get the level flush and noticed this:

image.jpg

Yes! That's right! It's a screw poking through! Just a tiny amount, maybe just a millimetre but enough to push up the Perspex. I think this is a screw that holds the display bracket. As a quick fix I used a cutting disc on the Dremel to grind off the point.

After refitting the Perspex cover its now perfectly flush:

image.jpg

And the best part? This fix along with the overhauled upper-right mini-flipper and I get all 3 balls locked for multiball the first game I play! Only ever done it once before. @DRD will be proud ;)

I fired mine up for the first time since Nerg over the weekend. Weighs an absolute tonne this game

All worked fine, save some ghosting on the top right 7 digit display. Will have to sort that another day.

Remembered that I had detuned the lower right flipper for Nerg to prevent game damage when shooting the vectorscan ramp. It was still gettable though. I will give it a bit more oomph ahead of manchester.

Will be good to finally meet you in manc. I had that protruding screw issue on mine too. It happened when I tightened one up too much on the underside of the playfield.

If you get the hang of shooting the hype targets in order that can get you multiballs more quickly. I haven't figured which is the best strategy though.

@DRD, I haven't gotten that deep into the rules yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't shooting H-Y-P-E in order start a quick multiball such that if you've got a ball locked in the "VECTOR ENERGY CONTAINMENT UNIT" one is released?

Checking my inlay card it states:

Making H-Y-P-E targets in sequences lites all top bonus arrows; out of sequence lites only 1 arrow. Bonus arrows collected in top right storage energy saucer - 3000 points for each lit arrow.

The are 7 arrows on the top arch, so potential maximum of 21,000 if you make H-Y-P-E in order and then shoot and make the VECTORSCAN ramp.

But the inlay mentions nothing about Quick Multiball. I'm running the v5 custom ROMs which mentions that it changes the sound used for this feature:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_softvector.html.

Vector Skill Plunger Shot
Purpose: Adds a potential skill shot to the Standard Vector Ruleset and incorporates the unused "Super Shot" voice quote.
Rule: Game awards a skill shot value (75K) if the ball shot from the plunger goes over the rollover button. Feature is ancelled when any other switch is hit. Every light of the right bonus ladder is lit when a new ball is served. After successful hit, 25k + 5k is lit.

"[1,2,3] captured!"
Purpose: Incorporates the unused "[1,2,3] captured" voice quotes into the ball lock sequence. The "energy stored" phrase is removed.
Rules:
- 1st ball locked: Game voices out "1 captured!"
- 2nd ball locked: Game voices out "2 captured!"
- 3rd ball locked: Game voices out "3 captured!"
After the 1st and 2nd ball captured, the next quote "Shoot for hype targets" is used. After the 3rd ball is locked, then the next quote "offense released" is used.

Quick Multiball
Purpose: Incorporates the unused "Strategy Changed!" voice quote into gameplay, which better defines the quick multiball feature which is started via the H-Y-P-E targets when a ball is currently locked.
Rule: When Quick Multiball (2-Ball or 3-Ball) is started via the H-Y-P-E targets, the game voices out "Strategy Changed!".

"Welcome to Vectordome!"
Purpose: Incorporates the unused "Welcome to Vectordome!" voice quote.
Rule: When START is pressed for Player 2, 3, or 4, the game voices out this quote.

"Double Vectorscan Value!"
Purpose: Incorporates the unused "Double Vectorscan Value" voice quote into normal gameplay.
Rule: When the player achieves 2X on the Vectorscan multiplier (via H-Y-P-E targets), the game voices out this quote.

"Triple Vectorscan Value!"
Purpose: Incorporates the unused "Triple Vectorscan Value" voice quote into normal gameplay.
Rule: When the player achieves 3X on the Vectorscan multiplier (via H-Y-P-E targets), the game voices out this quote.

"new vector record"
Purpose: Add the "new vector record" voice quote at the end of a play when the high score is beaten.

Right rollover button
Purpose: Enlarge the scoring possibliltys on the right rollover button.
Rule: The normal counting sequence (5k -> 10k -> 15k -> 20k -> 25k)
is enlarged with 5k,25k -> 5k,10k,25k -> 5k,10k,15k,25k -> 5k,10k,15k,20k,25k

"Period completed!"
Purpose: Incorporates the unused "Period completed!" voice quote into normal gameplay.
Rule: After the player achieves 3X on the Vectorscan multiplier (via H-Y-P-E targets), and no energy is in storage the game voices out this quote.

"Energy stored"
Use of the "Energy stored" Quote after outlane special.​

And I've just discovered a couple of switch faults whilst testing these rules:
  • The centre DEFENDER drop-target in the VECTORSCAN ramp isn't registering (or is permanently closed) because attempting to knock them down in order (L>R or R>L) always pops up the front set of DEFENDER targets.
  • Dropping the X and Y drop-targets always reset the whole bank. You can do Z then Y then X but X then Y triggers a reset.
  • Eventually something goes wrong with the H-Y-P-E targets and only H and Y produce the corresponding letter sound. P and E just cause an alarm sound and the bank of lights resets.
Looks like I've got me some duff switch contacts and/or duff switch capacitors and/or duff diodes! Or maybe a duff line on the switch matrix. I'm suspecting a duff cap as all the switches seem to work but sometimes the game logic goes walkies :confused:

The weirdest one for me is the rollover switch on the upper playfield. Advances the V-BONUS and scores the lit value on the 5K-10K-15K-20K-25K. Does it also increment the lit value on these inserts?

It must be complicated the vintage TNT video explaining the game is 15 minutes long!

Back
Top Bottom