What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Bally Vector 1982

deathrow

Registered
Well here is my first machine...

I have never repaired a pin before and have followed hints and tips from here and google to learn the basics.
She was bought not coining up and with several issues.
This is all she did when turned on:
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_th_100_8451_zps9985f6fa.jpg
She has a new mpu and you can get into test modes and get some features and sounds to function but she's pretty sick and dim lamps etc.
Found the earth to the upper cabinet wasn't connected to anything.
Fixe4d and now have Nice bright lamps and the mpu will run through its tests correctly.

I decided to give her a shake down.
First up it had no balls (added balls)

Wouldn't coin up? Re-soldered the cut wires from the switches and replaced the connector from the loom. Now accepts old 10p's and gives credit.

Game wouldnt start?
Hmmm, set to work and found a fault on the tilt meaning the game wouldn't function or load the first ball.
cut the offending diode out for now to remove the tilt function.

Ok so I could get the game to start but no flippers or solenoids so had to manually enter the ball into game- Lets take a look at the Driver board.
I got two with the machine, Both horlix'd
Started on the best of the two and replaced:
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_100_8442_zps54be341e.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_100_8445_zps18ac3044.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_100_8446_zpsa37de9ad.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_100_8447_zps36f59100.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_100_8449_zpsb51cba1d.jpg
Checked the voltages and I now had the 5v to the transistors.
A nice working board set up
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_100_8450_zps4bbd211f.jpg
Next I ran a full test and still had some solenoid issues on the PF.
Turned out to be the solenoid expander relay board on the underside of the playfield.
Replaced and we have nice very strong flippers.

A couple of switches cleaned and I now have a nice bright and fully working vector www.ukvac.com_forum_smileys_smiley1.gif

Will Upload a vid when I have the right size pinballs installed as I dont want to damage it.
Anyone have any kicking around they would sell?

I will strip her down soon and start a thread on more repairs etc but I was just so chuffed to get her working!

Well I decided to have a go and fix the second drive board I have.
Replaced a few bits and re soldered some cracks under the terminals.
Fitted it and the game fired up.
Slight problem though in that one of the coils was constantly engaged and burned up... What a lovely smell.
That'll teach me lol

Ahh need more photos! It's great to see someone spending time and money on an oldie like Vector...
I love my Vector but I must admit she does come in last place when it comes to finding money for her.

Well deathrow...your enthusiasm seems to have inspired me to do some work on my Vector..
it all works, just might order a new Alltek solenoid board to beef up the flippers and finish installing leds in the inserts!

Cool, nice one mate :)
Do you have a thread?

I am just waiting on getting my coil from Pinball Heaven so that I can get a working video for you.

Once I am completely happy all the elastic trickery is sorted then I will strip her down.

First job will be to get rid of the mylar... In some places three layers thick! :eek:

The sound board was giving me some grief so I re-flowed a few connectors etc and got some more chat.
Unfortunately I have spotted that one of the sound chips have missing legs.
The board fitted is a squawk n talk and the chips look to have been swapped over from another (badly).

I have found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220779637281?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But do any clever forum members have the tech/power to fix me up a set of these?

Its hard to get a picture of the pins on the chip but if you look at the two bottom pins on the second sound chip then you can see the wire legs and solder tips. (you can honest)

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1424_zpsa22e136e.jpg

And what a mouthful this old box can say:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_th_DSCF1426_zps071e3114.jpg

There are a couple of phrases that I have found in there that are not used in the game anywhere.
Here is a pop quiz for the Anorak types ;)

Answers on a post card to - Blue peter po box.........

This next part is where I should never trust whats fitted to a machine as being correct.

I removed the offending coil from the top saucer hole and replaced with a like to like from Pinball heaven.
The coil arrived in good time but burnt to a crisp even faster! I had replaced the drive components so was a little puzzled.

I was checking the wiring again and again through the Circuit Lie-agrams and I even checked every diode I could find. Then my lovely assistant pointed out that the numbers on the diagram were different to that on the coil!
Some silly bugger had used a twin winding coil in place of the original single.

The playfield.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1420_zps0739c8e6.jpg

The wrong coil:
(This is the new replacement I burnt £15 quid on in an insatnt lol)

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1421_zps118dabc6.jpg

This is what should be fitted:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1422_zps56ca5965.jpg

The better half found a place online with some genuine bally coils (used) for a couple of notes each. Will give an update when they arrive.

http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/

I was going to let it go but the house sale is flat on its backside so I will continue on with it.

The sale thread was updated.

Looks like your making great progress there! good work on the sound board....I love to press the test button on the sound board and just listen to him rant on for a few minutes! he can't say SHOOT often enough! I know how you feel about the coil, I ordered one from france for the lower left saucer on mine and it locked on and fried in seconds Aaarrgghh!!

The coils turned up today (bought two so I had a spare just incase lol).
Original Bally coils.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1428_zps1d045321.jpg

swap time:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1429_zps18225491.jpg

Just to be on the safe side I removed all components linked to the coil and replaced the lot.
Don't want the replacement to burn up.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1431_zpsdf3515c1.jpg

AND........WOHOO! I have a full house of coils! :D

I think I am going to re do all of the board connectors next. Does anyone have any they can sell before I place an order or maybe some advice?

While I was busy my wife set to with the cleaner and a pot of elbow grease and smartened the machine up for me.

Guess I'll be buying some new shoes for her then lol

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1436_zps6fb66ad4.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1437_zps1c546224.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1438_zps0ab609c6.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1439_zps91c36404.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF1441_zps67b340ac.jpg

Hi @deathrow, it's been a while since you posted anything on this. Have you still got your Vector? I just picked one up last weekend (which nearly triggered World War 3 with my wife - see http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...or-the-weekend-or-im-getting-a-new-pin.11116/ and http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/bally-vector-£350.11162/) but after watching a few videos on YouTube I think I may be lacking a few sounds.

You mentioned that you'd had a few sound problems. Just wondering if you could shed any more light on your fixes? It appears as though I don't have any background sounds - the sort of heavy throbbing that goes up and down. I get feature sounds when targets and switches get hit. Wonder if there's actually a configuration setting?

Thanks.

No worries @deathrow, I found it. Setting #18 was set to "00" for "Most switches associated chimes without feature background." I changed it to "03" and now I have "Most all scoring will have a noise effect with background."

Now the whole thing is shaking like an earthquake! Nice to hear that a lot of the sounds are very similar to Centaur.

Back
Top Bottom