What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally Star Trek Software Rewrite - The Journey

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
I'm starting work on a new software rewrite using the boardset that i developed for early Bally & Stern games (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-custom-pinball-controller-for-ballystern-games). I will be posting my progress on the rewrite here and on the pinside thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-star-trek-software-rewrite-the-journey) as i build up the new game rules, new sounds/speech etc for my Bally Star Trek.

The idea is to recreate the original rules with new sounds, speech and music and then add some more features such as multiball, jackpots, combos, hurry ups, modes etc I'll be using some re-created sound effects from the squawk & talk sound board era as well as some movie stuff.

First things first is to find a game to use as the basis for the development. Here is the game i've located:

startrek2.jpg

Next up is to get a new brain for it, and i'm in the process of making the first boards for batch 2 of my controller so i'll be using one of those for this to.

First job when the game arrives is to fit a new power cable, line filter and varistor, plus an overhaul of the power transformer assembly and some filtering for the power creation

im looking forward to this,and I agree a spinner could easily be added at the entrance to the skill shot which brings the ball back into the shooter lane

im looking forward to this,and I agree a spinner could easily be added at the entrance to the skill shot which brings the ball back into the shooter lane

I will look at this, pretty easy to add i think

Also looking at having memory drop targets on the left hand side as well as moving drop target sequences (like on hobbit) perhaps

Great...now that freakin tune is stuck in my head...thanks JC :mad:. Have you really never heard that Jim?

Yes of course I have heard of it, I was making a comment meaning 'why are we bringing that up?' Guess that got lost in translation

And no that won't be being used for music in this rewrite

OK, so the donor game arrived last night around 6pm

Pics of me unpacking it. Typical that it starts raining as soon as a pin gets delivered on a pallet! Quickly moved in side and all fine

IMG_7367.jpg IMG_7371.JPG
IMG_7372.jpg

Today, i've fitted a new line filter, varistor and power cable & plug. Just not worth messing about with these old parts. Replace and upgrade the 240vac stuff for peace of mind. All parts used are the ones i sell and supply to everyone. They are universal line filters. Interestingly they aligned with the cabinet holes from the original even though the new part was originally chosen for WPC/Stern games.
IMG_7382.jpg IMG_7390.jpg IMG_7386.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7383.jpg
    IMG_7383.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7384.jpg
    IMG_7384.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
And i replaced the Ground braid strap that runs from the cabinet to the backbox

Old

IMG_7383.jpg

New

IMG_7391.jpg IMG_7392.JPG

And i cleaned out the backbox, cabinet and fitted all new pcb stand offs and screws

IMG_7393.JPG IMG_7394.jpg IMG_7396.jpg

So awesome Jim..
Dude you should offer commissions :)
I for one would sell a ball bag to have a custom made pin on this kind of level based on a dream theme " the blues brothers " in my case.
Good luck with the project sounds epic

You have done more to it in the 1 day you have had it than I did in the 5 or 6 years I had it.

Well it got a quick clean, new bumper tops and some drop targets if I remember correctly.
Keen to see how this turns out..

Cleaned the insert panel today along with the display loom and fitted new 7 segments displays for scoring

Before

IMG_7397.JPG

After

IMG_7398.JPG IMG_7399.JPG IMG_7400.JPG

Taking a look a the transformer and rectifier assembly. I have a few units spare and decided to use this one from my old HV game.

IMG_7411.JPG
I wanted to upgrade the power outputs on it and may possibly use a 48vdc switched supply for coils later, but am starting with this to see how good i can get it.

I found a new rectifier board i got from some where awhile back and had a look at it. Seems pretty good with Leds for voltages but whoever made it didn't upgrade the rectifiers, so its still as original. First job is to remove those pidly ones and get some big 35A 200v era in there. I could have bought a board from great plains with this already done but i do like the leds for voltages on it.

IMG_7401.JPG IMG_7402.jpg IMG_7403.jpg

Also bought some new connectors to re-pin all the plugs

IMG_7410.JPG

Rectifier and transformer update. I completed the upgrades i was on about before, double checked my working and powered on :)

IMG_7454.jpg

All good. Nice to see those test leds light up. I also have an idea to add a filter cap to the coil voltage for smoothing, like on WPC and Stern Sam games. New Williams spec flipper mechs should be here soon to.

IMG_7459.jpg

Re-pinned the cabinet power connector and also the playfield power connector.

IMG_7457.JPG

No control board in yet, but i wanted to test the playfield and cabinet GI power anyway. Funny how nice it is to see the GI spring to life even without anything else :)

IMG_7464.jpg

Busy couple of days moving the project forward

Serviced and fitted a power driver board (for +5v and +190v use only) and installed the backbox GI

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG IMG_7474.JPG

Fitted my new controller board and driver board set. New rev3 sound controller still to fit on controller board

IMG_7486.JPG IMG_7488.JPG

First power on and test of displays along with lamp tests (after changing to led bulbs)

IMG_7489.JPG

Replacements of all old standup targets with New WMS spec ones. Also fixed some more playfield GI issues

IMG_7478.JPG IMG_7481.JPG IMG_7493.JPG IMG_7494.JPG IMG_7495.JPG IMG_7496.JPG IMG_7497.JPG

Replacement of the old flipper assemblies with WPC spec one and Stern PWM coils

IMG_7475.JPG IMG_7499.JPG IMG_7500.JPG IMG_7498.JPG IMG_7501.JPG

How its looking now:

IMG_7502.JPG

Now to write some new code and get a basic game going Star Trek style. Also need to test out my new PWM flipper code and order some more high brightness leds

Attachments

• IMG_7483.JPG
    IMG_7483.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7484.JPG
    IMG_7484.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 6
Are you going to sort the cupped inserts out Jim ?
It's one of the things that does my noggin in with older games. I simply have to flatten them. Saying that one of those new fangled playfield protectors would do the job without all the PITA of removing the inserts.

I see someone has just listed a star trek on ebay for a grand this afternoon,perhaps they are aware of your software rewrite;)

Couple of days spent hashing out some game code based on the original rules. Have something that compiles now, so can start to test it out. Also waiting for some more LEDs to arrive along with some lamp holder faults to sort out and need to get some new stern low power flipper switches installed to

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 10.51.47.png

I see someone has just listed a star trek on ebay for a grand this afternoon,perhaps they are aware of your software rewrite;)

Interesting looking playfield here as the playfield insert colours are different to the one i have (and others that i've seen inc the repro playfields)

Notice the white inserts for the ship's BALLY letters and 3X. Mine are all yellow like the 10K, 25K and 50K above

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 10.47.22.png

Interesting looking playfield here as the playfield insert colours are different to the one i have (and others that i've seen inc the repro playfields)

Notice the white inserts for the ship's BALLY letters and 3X. Mine are all yellow like the 10K, 25K and 50K above

View attachment 39510

the ones on mine are white,although I think mine is one of the later ones serial number 13,000 and something

Back
Top Bottom