What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

backglass size

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Bugger! Just managed to smash my AFM backglass. Thousands of tiny bits are now scattered throughout the shed. Guess I've been lucky as this is the first glass I've broken in 10 years.:eek: Haven't had the machine her for 18 months and it gets screwed within 2 mins of getting through the door.

Anyway are all 90s backglasses the same size? PH have replacement glass listed as:

"Clear tempered 27 inch x 18-7/8 inch x 1/8 inch thick glass that supports and protects the translite plastic backglass art on many 1990 and later Williams / Bally pinball machine."

Are the dimensions going to be the same for AFM? I can't get to Phil's to pick this up so will have to give the dimensions to a local firm and get them to cut something for me. Just want to doubt check before going.

Oh, did I say ****, ****, ******, bollcoks it?:mad::mad::mad:

Edited comment, half asleep thought John broke a RFM glass which has no dimensions.
The worse bit is trying to locate all the little bits of glass, I feel your pain John

Thanks guys. One to sort out tonight.

Oh well. Luckily it's on a wooden floor so relatively easy to clear up

Think I've beaten the odds anyway. Could have been far worse and been inside the game or worse still a proper old style back glass

Thanks guys. One to sort out tonight.

Oh well. Luckily it's on a wooden floor so relatively easy to clear up

Think I've beaten the odds anyway. Could have been far worse and been inside the game or worse still a proper old style back glass

If ordering glass or perspex in metric size, make sure that the thickness is 3mm and not 4 or 5mm. Otherwise you will have trouble sliding the plastic clips onto the edges of the glass to hold the translite on to it, and it may not fit into the slot on the speaker panel properly.

Here you go, John http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/de-hook-back-glass-size.18669/#post-102514

i smashed a backglass yesterday too, but mine was Stern otherwise i'd suggest we get a bunch made.
having said that, if you get two WPC and i get two Sterns, we can swop em?

WPC 685 x 479 x 3mm
Stern 660 x 489 x 3mm

edit - even better, if you're ordering, order both to save postage then i can collect when i bring your new game over

The problem you may have is this. I've been told that the minimum thickness glass you can get TOUGHENED in the uk is 4mm. Which causes issues fitting it into the backbox. So you have to choose between tight 4mm toughened. 3mm Plate glass (dangerous) or 3mm acrylic. I tend to go for the latter nowadays. Can't tell unless you are touching it. If you CAN get 3mm toughened do let me know

@johnwhitfield i'm gonna order a few acrylic sheets as spares, a couple each of WPC, DE and Stern. i can bring you a WPC one at cost.

if anyone else is coming to John's league meeting on Sunday 28th, let me know in the next few days so i can get you some as well @Matt Vince @Mfresh @whoeverelseseesthisintime

Does the translite tend to 'cling' to acrylic though ? I've seen those playfield protectors and the static cling makes it look like there is water trapped underneath.

Back
Top Bottom