What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DE Hook Back Glass Size

astyy

Play Flipper Games for Fun and Recreation
Alias
Dont be nosey :-)
Hi All

I need a back glass made for my new Hook.

I've researched online and the standard DE size is apparently 22 1/2" L x 26" W & 1/8" D. I don't think this is right though for Hook which is one of the few earlier machines with the thinner 128x16 DMD. Can somebody with a Hook confirm the size please.

Second, which material am I best using here - plastic types or glass. If my Gold Ball is anything to go by it's always in and out of the machine so I'm veering towards plastic (if only to start during the shop) but not sure what type.

Cheers

My Hook backglass is 23 1/2 " high X 26 " W. So it's 1 inch higher than the size you've written above.

It's glass, I reckoned about 3mm or 1/8 " thick.

I normally replace with 4mm toughened glass with bevelled edges from my local glass people, don't use normal glass as it breaks really easily. I'd also use glass as opposed to plastic because it's what people expect when you sell a machine. :)

I think I was quoted £8 when I went looking for a replacement bit of glass for hook. That was a few years back now though, saying that it was also the only place I tried so might be expensive ?

My Hook backglass is 23 1/2 " high X 26 " W

Strange I got a piece cut to that size and it wouldn't fit in height wise. Luckily, the piece was non-toughed (that was all they cut on the premises) and it could be ground down 1/4" or so. It's still not perfect and I cant lock the glass in but I haven't the nerve to hassle the glass guys again.

Agreed. I'm not that happy with it and need another cut slightly smaller and would prefer toughened. Does your local glass place cut on the premises? A piece ordered in here was £35 odd.

Are you sure the dmd panel is installed correctly ?

The bit on the bottom of the panel fits into a groove and the it drops down about 1/4 of an inch or so. It can look like it's in properly when it's not, had the same problem on hook and Star Wars

You can usually see that the wee clips n the top are sitting high and barely holding on the bits of wood on the sides of the backbox

1/4" too big! That's just a bit confusing:hmm:

I've taken my glass out and measured it again - it's still 23 1/2 " - well, it's just a fraction less, 1/32" maybe.

More importantly, the translite is pretty much that size, what size is your translite?

I'm with Peter on this. I would really really want to know if one of my pins had real glass in it that could break into sharp daggers and tiny super sharp fragments at any time. If it's also rammed in there then it's probably under tension all the time, and could pop when someone gives the machine a good jolt, or folds it down or moves the game or even just opens the backbox. Will there be kids around? It's a Sword of Damocles, dude

I bought plastic on eBay that they cut to size for free. If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know it was plastic. Just so you know it's an available option out there.

You guys have convinced me. I'll use the real glass as a test run to get the right size then demote it to the greenhouse!

@cooldan I like the idea of plastic, do you have a link to what you bought? There are a lot of options.

@cooldan I like the idea of plastic, do you have a link to what you bought? There are a lot of options.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-CLEAR...25712df97f&clk_rvr_id=805241315340&rmvSB=true

one of these sheets is big enough for two back'glasses'. they do four cuts for free, so if you bought two of these sheets, they'd make them into four perfect pieces delivered for £41.50, or just over a tenner each. buy more, they get cheaper as the delivery charge gets diluted. i had four made a few years back, i got them made perhaps 1 or 2mm too big, so next time i'd do my research better - for the sizes, check here for the details in inches and then here to convert to metric for the seller

you might even find that other people want to join in on a group buy, and bring them to a show or something?

gif cutie bouncing boobs.gifgif weird emma watson different ending.gif gif that cutie with the boobs again.gif

Back
Top Bottom