What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assorted JD questions | Removing a playfield from cabinet.

Nice Comet order. Went for the individual colours then?

I would have been in so much trouble.

I firmly believe you've crossed the line already - it's a slippery slope from here on...

Good to see you're putting care and attention into each game - there's a certain joy in tearing down, cleaning up, replacing knackered stuff, enhancing what you feel works (like the powder-coat, colorDMD) and then putting things back together. Almost detracts from the game play...

...almost.

Nice Comet order. Went for the individual colours then?

I firmly believe you've crossed the line already - it's a slippery slope from here on...

Good to see you're putting care and attention into each game - there's a certain joy in tearing down, cleaning up, replacing knackered stuff, enhancing what you feel works (like the powder-coat, colorDMD) and then putting things back together. Almost detracts from the game play...

...almost.

It's actually quite ridiculous.

I have spent the last hour polishing pieces of plastic nobody will ever see and that I didn't even know existed. 😬

The game was perfectly playable when I purchased it but I have brought it home and taken it apart. . . . I've even thought about painting the inside of the cabinet. Clearly I need help.

I should be at work but have taken the morning off because the postman was delivering some tiny light-bulbs for my big toy.

Whilst eating breakfast I was on adobe illustrator adjusting some custom apron cards just to make them look slightly different. . . . I didn't even know what an apron card was 6 months ago. 👀

I have massive limitations and holes in my knowledge so there is no way that I should be doing this sort of thing. However I have a picture in my mind of an illuminated playfield full of ramps and flashing things and I'm cracking on.

I'll get to a point then call Martin to do the rest but I know what will happen then. I'll look at the cabinet, backbox & legs and end up wanting that done too.

Ridiculous hobby really but I've disappeared down a wormhole.

Maybe one day I'll just get a new pin that doesn't need anything doing. That being said when I look through the glass of my STTNG full of lights and stuff that shouldn't really be there I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I think i'm a few years ahead of you down this hole, because I'm getting nostalgic just reading this o_O

My recent issue has been lack of time and sometimes motivation (plus other distractions) to complete the 2 projects i have sitting here... a lovely RS & a TZ. TZ has been so close for months now, RS less so... i need a local Martin!

Maybe one day I'll just get a new pin that doesn't need anything doing.

Bought a Metallica Premium about a year ago, it was effectively new, but still 'needed' stuff doing to it... there's always something! Don't get me started on TRON or the AFM years...

Enjoy it.

I think i'm a few years ahead of you down this hole, because I'm getting nostalgic just reading this o_O

My recent issue has been lack of time and sometimes motivation (plus other distractions) to complete the 2 projects i have sitting here... a lovely RS & a TZ. TZ has been so close for months now, RS less so... i need a local Martin!

Bought a Metallica Premium about a year ago, it was effectively new, but still 'needed' stuff doing to it... there's always something! Don't get me started on TRON or the AFM years...

Enjoy it.

Is the TZ playable? I've found with the Next Gen that the last 10% is the hardest to get motivated for particularly with a second pin now here.

The fact that I can jump on and play probably doesn't help me get that last bit done.

Is the TZ playable? I've found with the Next Gen that the last 10% is the hardest to get motivated for particularly with a second pin now here.
[/QUOTE]
if i put the freshly re-flapped ramps back in, tightened the new flippers up, reinstalled the rebuilt clock, a few other bits, then yes, mostly!

Both games were playable before i took them apart...

EB07353B-6C40-4ACF-AB5A-98C14F4E52CD.jpeg3C8C5B8C-761F-4987-B0DF-8DC20F52D1DE.jpeg

The fact that I can jump on and play probably doesn't help me get that last bit done.

See previous comment about Metallica - It's one hell of a game.

if i put the freshly re-flapped ramps back in, tightened the new flippers up, reinstalled the rebuilt clock, a few other bits, then yes, mostly!

Both games were playable before i took them apart...

View attachment 101356View attachment 101357

See previous comment about Metallica - It's one hell of a game.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that looks close Paul.

I've never played a Metallica (haven't played most things really).

It looks brilliant from what I've seen ..... if only I knew a solitary song from them 😂

Great job mate that is looking absolutely amazing. Inspired choice of green too.

Those comet star post leds should really make it pop too. Are you changing the colour of the star posts?
Yes mate.

Green illuminated star posts with green & orange bumper sleeves.

Green perfect play flipper rubbers and
transparent ring rubbers inspired by my trip to see you mate.

The whole thing was just too dark so I'm hoping to turn a dull playfield into a vibrant one.
20200204_153444.jpg

If you can stand the knock to your OCD, a bit of silicone might do the job.

I'm doing this with one of my ramps on Creech. I'm sure I'll end up buying a new one at some point, but they don't come cheap.

Stick it and add a metal strip to strengthen and cover the repair mate [emoji106]

Freeplay40 recommended me a clear acrylic cement "SCIGRIP 16" but I couldn't find it over here.

Freeplay40 recommended me a clear acrylic cement "SCIGRIP 16" but I couldn't find it over here.
The trouble was that it wasn't a complete clean break. Some of the plastic has splintered and become lost.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Here's where we are ....

Those pesky rubbers are the wrong bloody sized.... I was sure I'd ordered from the manual too. I was looking forward to testing today.

Another essential [emoji23]
4201eb29181da70256da2346abc5af3d.jpg

They def sound less clunky than mine, power looks fine though, left orbit takes a bit of accuracy then comes round quickly to the right flipper, you’ll soon be hitting a few loops in a row, if not then maybe there is an issue but from that video it looks fine to be honest.
Oh and I’ve read that you should clean new balls due to the residue you describe.
Balls, playfield, flipper rubbers will all soon wear in a bit then everything will feel good to play [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They def sound less clunky than mine, power looks fine though, left orbit takes a bit of accuracy then comes round quickly to the right flipper, you’ll soon be hitting a few loops in a row, if not then maybe there is an issue but from that video it looks fine to be honest.
Oh and I’ve read that you should clean new balls due to the residue you describe.
Balls, playfield, flipper rubbers will all soon wear in a bit then everything will feel good to play [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate.

I'll have that DMD out soon for you but I'll record it first so as you can see if you want it.

Back
Top Bottom