What's new

Anyone used LED bulbs in an EM machine?

Have used.

Generally they look pretty awful.

If games are left on for hours and hours then not a bad idea as hot bulbs melt plastics/damage backglass.

But for home use 47's are best.

Its funny, I was at the PHOF earlier this year and thought the EM's looked terrible with them in. I understand why they did it with all those machines to run and I guess they would fail less often but I would always use incandescent bulbs for GI, inserts, now that's a different story!

Its funny, I was at the PHOF earlier this year and thought the EM's looked terrible with them in. I understand why they did it with all those machines to run and I guess they would fail less often but I would always use incandescent bulbs for GI, inserts, now that's a different story!

Time told me it's entirely for the electric bill. Can't remember how much he said, but it was $$$ hundreds per month over 400+ machines in savings

Tried it on the playfield of my Hi Deal and immediately changed back - just looked all wrong. But I've put them (warm white) in the backbox, I can't see any difference in appearance but I believe their cool running helps to protect the backglass from stressing and then peeling.

Just read a good article on the pinball ninja webzine. He talks about the annoying flicker that sometimes you get when using leds on cpu controlled lamps.
The cpu needs to see a load on the circuit which is normally provided by an incandescent #44 type lamp but not from a low power led.
The solution solder a 470 ohm resistor across the lamp holder to give it a bit of load.
Seemed to work a treat.

Back
Top Bottom