What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Insane Hardware Project - Bally S & T Sound Board - Gordon's Alive!

Hi, Jim,

The Bally Mpu board/software in S&T equipped games has two bookeeping registers (20, 21?) which can be used to take over the 'Sound Volume' and 'Speech Volume' functions from the pots on the S&T board, though jumper changes are needed. I don't think it's widely known, and rarely used, but will your board incorporate this?

Hi, Jim,

The Bally Mpu board/software in S&T equipped games has two bookeeping registers (20, 21?) which can be used to take over the 'Sound Volume' and 'Speech Volume' functions from the pots on the S&T board, though jumper changes are needed. I don't think it's widely known, and rarely used, but will your board incorporate this?
I noticed this whilst I was fiddling with testing the AY-3-8910 from GOLD BALL in my VECTOR (which uses the smaller 28-pin AY-3-8912). Is there a list of games that make active use of this, or is it any game which had an S&T fitted?

Hi, Jim,

No, my board does not include this. Although this was an option on the original board, it adds a fair amount of components and expense to the design for no real gain. All games except rapid fire were jumpered not to use this from factory. There is however, the option to use remote speech and sound volume controls from the J2 connector as well as the standard volume control.

Nice! Makes it sound just like CENTAUR!

I think having the board as a future plug and play option will be the best route. I need to expand my J2 connector slightly to allow simplification of my reverb board design, but that's not an issue and will allow for a more cost effective board. This won't effect the use of other reverb board remakes out there or originals still functioning.

I will be opening up pre-ordering for the first batch of 25 boards later today hopefully. Just going over my bom spreadsheet and the costs for everything. I will confirm the price plus shipping later. The aim for the first batch of pre-orders will be to include all ics except roms. This includes the TMS5200 speech ic. Future standard orders may be different.

Those TMS-5200 are a bugger to find...

Can you shed any light on the reverb design? Just interested in what you used.

Pre-Ordering is now open for the first run of 25. The cost for an assembled and tested standard board will be £149 inc. VAT plus postage to your country. The pre-order process will run like my other board and mod projects with 50% upfront and then the remaining 50% once your board is ready to send. I am aiming to have the boards ready within 2 months, all being well.

Please contact me now if you'd like to get in on the first run. Thanks.

You are also welcome to purchase the blank pcb or a kit from me if you want to assemble it yourself.

The summary of updates for my board are:

- Reduced component count
- Test point pads for common signals and voltages
- Leds for power voltages and diagnostic led
- Improved and simplified reset section
- On board reset button
- Dip switch config for rom settings
- Fully compatible with all stock roms
- Dip switch config for inclusion of sound generator ic
- Expanded J2 connector to allow future plug on daughter cards such as echo/reverb board.
- Option via J2 for external amp hook up and multiple speaker usage
- Higher power amp on board for stock speaker connection
- Socketed ICs
- Plate through design

Some new videos of additional testing with the proto boards in a friends centaur yesterday. Working really nicely

Sound Board Test

Game Play

All changes done from testing and assembling the proto boards. Final v1.0 design completed and off to the board manufacturers tomorrow.

bally s&t sound board component layout v1.0.png
bally s&t sound board top layout v1.0.png bally s&t sound board bottom layout v1.0.png

Assembly pics. Everyone who has pre-ordered a board is now being contacted as your board finishes assembly and testing with the remaining invoice. Once the balance is paid, your the board will ship. :)

If you would like to order any additional ICs with your order please contact me when you receive your invoice.

IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3654.JPG IMG_3656.JPG IMG_3661.JPG IMG_3663.jpg

* The board does not come with sound roms as standard.

Testing the boards with more sound roms. Another favourite of mine - Mr & Mrs Pacman. Love the pac-man voice pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_smile.gif

'Pac-man Aggressive!!'

Update: Got the first pass done on my first effects board. As a recap this board will plug onto the J2 connector of either my Squawk & Talk or my Digital sound board for bally games and add reverb/echo effects to all sounds/speech etc. Stay tuned for testing of this board etc I will be ordering some protos to assemble and test soon and taking orders for them.

bally sound effects board component layout v0.1.png

bally sound effects board top layout v0.1.png

bally sound effects board bottom layout v0.1.png

Last edited:
Update: Got the first pass done on my first effects board. As a recap this board will plug onto the J2 connector of either my Squawk & Talk or my Digital sound board for bally games and add reverb/echo effects to all sounds/speech etc. Stay tuned for testing of this board etc I will be ordering some protos to assemble and test soon and taking orders for them.
Would it be possible to retrofit these to an original?

Would it be possible to retrofit these to an original?

The board is designed to fit on to my new range of boards not the originals, as the connectors on the originals don't provide all the pins you need in 1 place. Another reason to upgrade an old board :)

Update: The effects board is now with the manufacture and i should have the first run of them back in a few weeks.

Great, do you have an expected price Jim?

Aiming for £40 inc. VAT plus postage, assembled and tested. The board will work with all my pinball project boards with sound as well as the s&t board, so the new digital bally sound board and also the custom pinball controller board.

Also the board can now be made to work with the original s&t sound board and other sound boards with some minor adjustments to if people want to experiment, though this is not supported by me.

Pre-Ordering is now open for the first run of 25. The cost for an assembled and tested standard board will be £149 inc. VAT plus postage to your country. The pre-order process will run like my other board and mod projects with 50% upfront and then the remaining 50% once your board is ready to send. I am aiming to have the boards ready within 2 months, all being well.

Please contact me now if you'd like to get in on the first run. Thanks.

You are also welcome to purchase the blank pcb or a kit from me if you want to assemble it yourself.

The summary of updates for my board are:

- Reduced component count
- Test point pads for common signals and voltages
- Leds for power voltages and diagnostic led
- Improved and simplified reset section
- On board reset button
- Dip switch config for rom settings
- Fully compatible with all stock roms
- Dip switch config for inclusion of sound generator ic
- Expanded J2 connector to allow future plug on daughter cards such as echo/reverb board.
- Option via J2 for external amp hook up and multiple speaker usage
- Higher power amp on board for stock speaker connection
- Socketed ICs
- Plate through design

Fantastic work Jim how much is the board in kit form?

Thanks Ronnie

Fantastic work Jim how much is the board in kit form?

Thanks Ronnie

Kits with all ics inc all the hard to find speech, dac and sound chips are currently £130 inc Vat plus postage. The discount from an assembled board isn't massive as the bom cost is high and are all hand built.

Back
Top Bottom