What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andy's pearls of wisdom

That's a new one, I've seen coil stops worn to within an inch of their lives, or where the lug has dropped out, but I've never seen that happen before.

Happens a lot more often than you think... seen a dozen or so like that (or the broken remains) over the years.

That's so well crafted I had to look hard to see the 'mod'... :p

I take it they were unaware of the settings available inside the coin door?

First pin I looked at buying the owner was surprised the playfield could be lifted up, which made me feel a bit better for not knowing hardly anything about pins either :)

Dodgy ASIC/socket? No problem, is there anything cable ties can't fix?

Johnny Mnemonic..

20150917_163843.jpg

...actually not sure if this is the problem, currently experiencing random resets. 5.02V on driver board and mpu so I don't think it's that. Reseated all connectors and ribbon cables, no difference. Checked power cable is plugged in properly after my shadow debacle, all ok. No battery leakage. Maybe it is the ASIC? Suggestions?

Poke the ASIC with the game powered up. When I was working on the TOM of doom, it would reset and/or fire coils when you poked the ASIC, so I replaced the socket which cured (some of) the problems.

The ASICs themselves are one of the more reliable parts (strangely) in a pinball machine

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_11_21_df72f373fcdd3dce46a1a20048466791.jpg

Coin door connector. I just don't even know what happened here, needless to say it's going to end up being an inch shorter to fix this mess.

Hopefully this is the last of the Hook Hacks to undo!!

Hi @strobey I have similar connectors to re-use on the looms I'm modifying for my VECTOR - are they easy to repin?
@astyy... Yeah dead easy. Look at the pins...

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_11_21_8ee77f49773f8e8ffed8dc5c7763f38e.jpg

...see they've got little fins at the base like a space rocket? Squeeze them lightly with some tiny needle-nosed pliers while pulling on the wire at the rear of the plug - it'll pop straight out the back.

Then just cut/desolder/resolder and push the pin back in. You'll hear a little click when the fins relocate.

As with anything, you need the right tools for the job. If not, get over to screwfix and spend a fiver - they're even open Sundays so no excuses [emoji5] [emoji39]

HTH..!

Back
Top Bottom