What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Ode to Fish Tales (probably the best pin ever*)

Got the urge last to play fish tales last night ( albeit on my v pin ), after watching the pinfest main comp
And it made me realise what a great shot the monster fish is

The adrenaline kicks in when trying to make it, the roar of the fish ads to the excitement, then if you do nail it, you get that little rush of dopamine, just so satisfying
Just love shots in pinball that get you buzzing, it’s not always about scores, sometimes you just wanna have fun and forget all the bad in the world, fish tales ticks that box

And it made me realise what a great shot the monster fish is

The adrenaline kicks in when trying to make it, the roar of the fish ads to the excitement, then if you do nail it, you get that little rush of dopamine, just so satisfying
Just love shots in pinball that get you buzzing, it’s not always about scores, sometimes you just wanna have fun and forget all the bad in the world, fish tales ticks that box
I love the “VROOOM” “VROOOM” “VROOOM” of the criss-cross boat ramps building to monster fish, as well. You can almost imagine the boat zipping back and forth, across the lake, with this giant fish on the end of a line.

I can’t think of many pins that have such a great execution of theme built into both the sound effects and the physical layout of the pin. It’s just a work of genius. Would love to know if there are any other examples on other pins, as it’s one of my favourite things about FT.

I'm known for an unhealthy obsession with flipper feel. I can't stand loose feeling buttons, especially any B/W wpc-s - wpc-95 that have flimsy repro plastic interrupters and missing the metal spring (the shadow at the club for example,a beautiful example but the feel under your fingers is awful, I suppose it's personal opinion though). I ordered interrupters from various pinball parts sites till I found some stiff enough 😂. Considering this most B/W Can feel much better than sterns if set up properly imo.

Anyhow,
I find Sterns vary just as much. I couldn't tap/tip pass on my TMNT at all. I tried to adjust the leaf switches endlessly to no avail. Apparently it's the CPU not keeping up with quick presses according to someone on Pinside but makes no sense as other Spike2 games I can do it on fine.

Yet your TWD at PBR I absolutely love because of how the flippers feel.

One major issue with Sterns is the awful buttons that don't use a spring and have a bump on the button shaft that creates a binding when you press. It's not a smooth movement. At least two or the pins in the stern room have this.
With my TMNT I replaced the buttons to have smoother action because of this.

This is all Very nerdy and I keep getting the pi$$ taken out of me for my obsession with flipper feel.
I’ve nowhere near the experience of others but in relation to flippers.
My afm feel like extensions to my fingers and the feel is amazing resulting in far better control.
Whereas in comparison LOTR feel removed and clunky and struggle to pass the ball between them.

When I play Spiderman and hit either ramps it feels like the boat ramp on Fishtales. I’ve played other Fishtales but mine just shot so well. Cracking game!

Last edited:
I didn't get it in the arcades. Virtually no modes. No toys. 2 flippers. Cheesy sounds. Iffy theme.

TAF was out at the same time and just blew it away, or so I thought for 20 years.

Buy when you know the rules, FT is a seriously good player. Its artistic limitations keep it relatively affordable.

it can be brutal but this is mainly the case when you shoot the captive ball and/ or ramp. Best to shoot the captive ball when you have ball save on. I only shoot the ramps when I have rock the boat going.

if you are disciplined and play for jackpots the ball times can be long.

Has been my most played title for years.

On spike 2 games you can tap between the flippers easily not sure why your turtles couldn’t do that pretty sure mine does that ok - I can’t think of any different feeling between the spike games in the club but I’ll check them out. Quite a few of the buttons have been replaced.

On spike 2 games you can tap between the flippers easily not sure why your turtles couldn’t do that pretty sure mine does that ok - I can’t think of any different feeling between the spike games in the club but I’ll check them out. Quite a few of the buttons have been replaced.

I have noticed it too, I didn't get a chance to try it on the turtles at Pinfest but I think it might have been just mine 😳
I recall asking on Pinside and a few said the way stern spike2's work the cpu can't read the flipper presses that quick to let you do a tap. But that doesn't make sense as I've managed on other games.
Funnily the turtles at Pinfest played way nicer and easier than mine, odd really.

Some games just feel better under the finger and it's always my obsession to work out why and get my games feeling that way 😂

I have noticed it too, I didn't get a chance to try it on the turtles at Pinfest but I think it might have been just mine 😳
I recall asking on Pinside and a few said the way stern spike2's work the cpu can't read the flipper presses that quick to let you do a tap. But that doesn't make sense as I've managed on other games.
Funnily the turtles at Pinfest played way nicer and easier than mine, odd really.

Some games just feel better under the finger and it's always my obsession to work out why and get my games feeling that way 😂

nonsense on the CPU not being able to do it.

I think that's BS. Both spike2 and WPC games have a CPU (realtime MCU) react to the button presses and there's no technical reason for one to be noticeably slower.

I find the stern/spike flippers to be quite snappy, and thus this kind of move quickly goes wrong as the flipper hits the ball too hard and sends it flying away. The snappiness is generally a good thing though.

Where would be the best place to get a full set of side decals in UK from? Plenty abroad . Thanks

Back
Top Bottom