What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Ode to Fish Tales (probably the best pin ever*)

I've played Fish Tales quite a very lot, and I can have games that go on for a long time, or games that barely go over a minute...
To keep the game interesting, I have different ways of playing instead of just going for multiball and jackpots. One game I'd do the standard catch as many fish on the side targets, then the next game attempt get a 50 million monster fish, and the next game get as many fish finder awards as possible.

I do prefer White Water, but the difficulty of FT keeps me playing it.

I spent a lot of time practicing the casters club shot for multiball but then I end up realigning the flippers or adjusting pitch and level then lose it again 😆.

I'm trying to do the Fish Caught and Tales told high score now as at our event in January Matt Vince got that high score with 5 fish caught and 4 tales told.

It sounds like it would b easy but for some reason I haven't managed it yet have got 600mil GC 🤣

I have this rule on our games, if all the high scores are my initials I reset them (sometimes leaving GC) so my friends can get some high scores.
I've got GC and 1-4 and Rock the Boat but just need to knock Matt off the Fish Caught and Tales told one 😁

Gives me a challenge for sure.
On a related topic @wayneJ got 44mil on Diner at Swavesey so i have left extra balls off and won't switch them back on until I've beat his score fairly.

I have this rule on our games, if all the high scores are my initials I reset them (sometimes leaving GC) so my friends can get some high scores.

Not having any friends, I used to put in other letter groups to avoid that, such as JFK or NJB on Taxi, YGV and MIG on F-14, NVA and VET on Special Force, etc

Last edited:
Damn, you can't backhand the lock on mine, I wonder what the difference is. My flippers are aligned to the rollpin holes (with rubber off). I just noticed yours are standard flippers, I wonder if thats why.
One mine the shot appears to be physically impossible

This is one of my favourite things on Fishy

A full game as I can't seem to edit it to show the backhand to spinner
I recorded a bunch in June with the idea of making a thread about critiquing gameplay and getting tips but never did it :)
cheeky backhand at after 0:50

There's a great moment around 2mins in where I thought i'd locked the ball and looked away, didn't even notice it drain till I watched the video after.

Last edited:
Not a silly question. CFTBL is the ultimate in my opinion, similar in terms of brutality, huge risk reward, similar one more go factor.

Others to consider that I would put in a similar bracket HS2, Shadow, Indy 500, World Cup Soccer, Jackbot. And for a similar feel but newer, Iron Man.
That is a fascinating recommendation. My husband absolutely loves CFTBL and I’ve got into it, as well, so we’ve bought the snackbar mod and are saving up for one! Glad to know we’re not barking up the wrong tree there :)

We also really like Shadow. I’ve never managed to find a Jackbot onsite (yet). I‘ll give Indy 500, HS2 and WCS some more time :)

Your opinion Neil, I find nearly every Stern at PBR boring, I'd rather play Fish tales, it makes me smile and also is addictive. Sterns feel soulless in comparison in my opinion.

@David_Vi As a fellow FT fan, do you like the Elwins? I like A:IQ, GZ and JP2 (and my husband likes IM),

I’ve enjoyed Stern Star Wars the few times I’ve seen it and I like ST (as a less charming, but more complex version of AFM/MM), but most other modern Sterns leave me cold.

I love watching comp streams that include a fishy as it's great to see how top players approach Fish Tales, even if they don't seem as fast as mine. It's easy to understand and makes for a great watch.
That Bowen Vs Elwin game is probably the best pinball I've seen and I don't believe Elwins scores been beaten on a comp fishy?

Is this the game you're on about?

I see Elwin put 5.2B on. I remember watching it at the time (or when it was uploaded to youtube). I've since seen Daniele put 8B and 5+B in tournaments, I can't remember which order they were but one was the European circuit finals in Poland 2016, the other against @robotgreg (sorry Greg!) at possibly the Belgium open in 2016..?

Some machines you can back hand on and others you can't, I believe it's the positioning of the flipper shaft in relation to the sling star post. Doesn't matter if normal or lightning flippers are fitted. Also sling rubbers and flipper rubbers will have an influence in that positioning and could make all the difference.

Damn, you can't backhand the lock on mine, I wonder what the difference is. My flippers are aligned to the rollpin holes (with rubber off). I just noticed yours are standard flippers, I wonder if thats why.
They are lightning flippers, the videos are a bit too compressed to see the lightning bolts.
I often change the flipper rubbers to different types, I've got perfect play silicone in at the moment (was titans in those videos), and the lock backhand shot is harder to do currently. I think you have the same ones in your video, which probably explains it.

@David_Vi As a fellow FT fan, do you like the Elwins? I like A:IQ, GZ and JP2 (and my husband likes IM),

I’ve enjoyed Stern Star Wars the few times I’ve seen it and I like ST (as a less charming, but more complex version of AFM/MM), but most other modern Sterns leave me cold.

Not really, AIQ has interesting shots but I can't say I enjoy it. I feel the same about JP2 but I'd like to own one and try to get into it as I am a big JP fan.

GZ Is fun, definitely the best of stern with a near return to the old Bally Williams feel with more toys and interesting shots. But again still a little souless for me.
I can't put my finger on why sterns leave me cold. I don't hate them but I prefer the older games, more approachable, more fun, more humourous and less serious 👍

Is this the game you're on about?

I see Elwin put 5.2B on. I remember watching it at the time (or when it was uploaded to youtube). I've since seen Daniele put 8B and 5+B in tournaments, I can't remember which order they were but one was the European circuit finals in Poland 2016, the other against @robotgreg (sorry Greg!) at possibly the Belgium open in 2016..?

Some machines you can back hand on and others you can't, I believe it's the positioning of the flipper shaft in relation to the sling star post. Doesn't matter if normal or lightning flippers are fitted. Also sling rubbers and flipper rubbers will have an influence in that positioning and could make all the difference.

Yes that's the video. I heard that score referenced in another video as if it hasn't been bested but it must have been someone who doesn't know about European comps or it was just at IFPA or PAPA (I forget).

Interesting, I guess there's a tiny difference in where they drilled the holes, even a mm would make a difference.

They are lightning flippers, the videos are a bit too compressed to see the lightning bolts.
I often change the flipper rubbers to different types, I've got perfect play silicone in at the moment (was titans in those videos), and the lock backhand shot is harder to do currently. I think you have the same ones in your video, which probably explains it.

Mines all translucent perfect plays except flipper rubbers and post sleeves.
I experimented with different flipper rubbers recently actually. I was trying to see why I get airballs on launch sometimes. I've had balls jump onto the wireforms before.
I did a slo mo video and noticed on a fast cast plunge the ball actually bounces on the flipper before you hit it but it's so fast you don't notice. That's when it gains air.
I thought it was the perfect plays but didn't change much at all with traditional rubbers.

I'm tempted to switch to Titans soon when we have a UK supplier. I find the post sleeves too bouncy.

Not really, AIQ has interesting shots but I can't say I enjoy it. I feel the same about JP2 but I'd like to own one and try to get into it as I am a big JP fan.

GZ Is fun, definitely the best of stern with a near return to the old Bally Williams feel with more toys and interesting shots. But again still a little souless for me.
I can't put my finger on why sterns leave me cold. I don't hate them but I prefer the older games, more approachable, more fun, more humourous and less serious 👍
GZ is the closest to the Bally Williams feel with the silly visuals (e.g. the Xillians’ goat) and humorous callouts, e.g. “We’ve come to plunder your pinball machines. Wahhahah”, “I bet you feel proud of yourself, Earthling”.

Most of the modern Sterns are ‘straight’ licences, and don’t have the charm and humour of the classic B-W machines. That’s why I think they feel soulless. There simply isn’t anything as quotable as “You gonna to talk, or you gonna fish?”, “Gone fishing, leave a message. BEEP” or “You’re not gonna eat that, are you?”

That said, there are a lot of soulless B-W era games. Again, mostly the ones with the licensed themes. I enjoy Demolition Man on a mechanical level, but it’s no Fish Tales (or Monster Bash or White Water).

I must say that I enjoy the Elwins despite the emotional deadness and, in the case of A:IQ, toyless playfield. If I was going to compare him to a board game designer, he’s very much Reiner Knizia, i.e. someone who creates largely abstract games with excellent mechanics that reflect the theme in a weird abstracted-out way. So, for example, all the wireforms in A:IQ vaguely represent superheroes flying about, and the orbits are assembling individual Avengers. So, the theme is there, but it’s all pretty abstract.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to switch to Titans soon when we have a UK supplier. I find the post sleeves too bouncy.
Wouldn't recommend Titan post sleeves - have some on my AIQ and they are disintegrating. Cliffy does some good ones which are much more durable.

My fish stopped flapping.
Uncharacteristically I didn’t notice for about 2weeks & I’m in no rush to fix it.
Can hear the game much better!

Probably just a fuse🧐
(It’s the wire on the solenoid)

My fish stopped flapping.
Uncharacteristically I didn’t notice for about 2weeks & I’m in no rush to fix it.
Can hear the game much better!

Probably just a fuse🧐
(It’s the wire on the solenoid)

Happened to mine too! Well the whole coil assembly fell off😁

My fish was annoying but I made it more thuddy rather than clacky.
I prefer it to sound like a real fish rather than metal on metal.
It's not as loud and irritating but still gives a great effect.

Wouldn't recommend Titan post sleeves - have some on my AIQ and they are disintegrating. Cliffy does some good ones which are much more durable.

I had perfect plays on my TMNT and they wore out within weeks. I think it's because the stern sleeves are thinner.
I assume Titans are the same.

Hopefully not an issue on a Bally Williams!
I'd love to try the cliffy ones but where do you get them that doesn't cost a bomb for just a handful of post sleeves?

I'm loving the love for Fishtales.. It's not a machine I have fallen in love with yet, but this discussion is to me all that is best about pinheads. I wanna see threads like this about Medieval Madness, TOTAN and ToM.

It's so nice to see people gushing rather that Neiling.

We are all here to love that perfect shot.

I'm loving the love for Fishtales.. It's not a machine I have fallen in love with yet, but this discussion is to me all that is best about pinheads. I wanna see threads like this about Medieval Madness, TOTAN and ToM.

*than 🙄

It was an impulsive thread so I'm glad it has created some discussion,👍

I suppose it would be very on brand to do a similar one for Road Show 😆

Love a bit of Fish Tales, very simple but done incredibly well. Really satisfying combo shots on the boat ramp then nailing the Monster Fish first time

Thanks for the video clips posted above. Great camera placement - assume some kind of camera or phone mount was used to capture the entire playfield from birds-eye view? Great skills too with the nudging and the backhands.

I have been able to hit Monster Fish/Jack Pots with a backhand on mine but more by fluke during multi-ball than design. Possibly made the Caster’s Club ball lock with a backhand but that’s even rarer. When I trap the ball to consciously try it, it seems to hit the slingshot or the edge of the right hand barrier (unsure of correct terminology for those little posts that the captive ball rests on) of the captive ball.

Update: No that’s not it. I mean the outer right part of the right hand side boat lane - plastic/post thingy, lol!

Talking of shots to the right hand side of the playfield - I never realised Fish Tales didn’t have an “Extra Ball” call-out nor did I appreciate just how hard it is to actually hit that target when it’s lit.

Lovely seeing a colour DMD on Fish Tales. Are these still very rare to get hold off? Think it I was quoted £400 last time I researched it. What’s typical labour/installation charge to get one of these fitted? Although expect many of the clever folks here installed there’s themselves. Impressive.

Noticed mine - previously @David King - has been fitted with one of those under cabinet led strip lights. Gives off a cool green glow, my little boy loves the light show!

Plus, I love how Dave added the Monster Fish toy for the playfield. Great touch.

Last edited:
Lovely seeing a colour DMD on Fish Tales. Are these still very rare to get hold off? Think it I was quoted £400 last time I researched it. What’s typical labour/installation charge to get one of these fitted? Although expect many of the clever folks here installed there’s themselves. Impressive.

I got my color DMD from Pinball Palace (http://www.pinballpalace.co.uk) and it wasn't rare, but was ~£400. There is also a Pin2DMD you can get, which is cheaper, but requires more installation. The colorDMD is simple to install - probably the simplest thing we have installed on our pins.

I'm currently on a waiting list to get a giant-sized Pin2DMD for my Fish Tales (https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...s-new-hd-pin2dmd-256x64-round-4-closed.50621/). Having seen a couple of examples at Pinball Republic on Fish Tales, Twilight Zone and Creature from the Black Lagoon, they are spectacular. At that point, I'll sell my existing color DMDs.

But now Neil says it is boring you need to sell it and buy a modern stern with horrid feeling flippers.
only when Pick Holder has rebuilt them of course, maybe you need some training?

Stern flippers are without shadow of a doubt the best feeling flippers in games post 85. And the best ones before that? Stern Electronics!

Thanks for the video clips posted above. Great camera placement - assume some kind of camera or phone mount was used to capture the entire playfield from birds-eye view? Great skills too with the nudging and the backhands.

I have been able to hit Monster Fish/Jack Pots with a backhand on mine but more by fluke during multi-ball than design. Possibly made the Caster’s Club ball lock with a backhand but that’s even rarer. When I trap the ball to consciously try it, it seems to hit the slingshot or the edge of the right hand barrier (unsure of correct terminology for those little posts that the captive ball rests on) of the captive ball.

Update: No that’s not it. I mean the outer right part of the right hand side boat lane - plastic/post thingy, lol!

Talking of shots to the right hand side of the playfield - I never realised Fish Tales didn’t have an “Extra Ball” call-out nor did I appreciate just how hard it is to actually hit that target when it’s lit.

Noticed mine - previously @David King - has been fitted with one of those under cabinet led strip lights. Gives off a cool green glow, my little boy loves the light show!

Plus, I love how Dave added the Monster Fish toy for the playfield. Great touch.

With correctly aligned flippers you can't make the extra ball stand up from the left flipper,It's an easy backhand from the right.
I think it just depends on machine whether you can backhand the lock, as @Moonraker says, the slingshot posts could be drilled differently and therefore blocking the much earlier backhand.

There is an extra ball call out just rare to get it as it's one of the later captive ball awards.

My colour display is a pin2dmd, but normal sized. Cheaper than a colordmd and I prefer the colourisation.
I'm not a fan of the huge XL displays personally.

My recording setup is proper ghetto. It's my phone attached to an old microphone stand from my old days in music 😂

Stern flippers are without shadow of a doubt the best feeling flippers in games post 85. And the best ones before that? Stern Electronics!

I'm known for an unhealthy obsession with flipper feel. I can't stand loose feeling buttons, especially any B/W wpc-s - wpc-95 that have flimsy repro plastic interrupters and missing the metal spring (the shadow at the club for example,a beautiful example but the feel under your fingers is awful, I suppose it's personal opinion though). I ordered interrupters from various pinball parts sites till I found some stiff enough 😂. Considering this most B/W Can feel much better than sterns if set up properly imo.

Anyhow,
I find Sterns vary just as much. I couldn't tap/tip pass on my TMNT at all. I tried to adjust the leaf switches endlessly to no avail. Apparently it's the CPU not keeping up with quick presses according to someone on Pinside but makes no sense as other Spike2 games I can do it on fine.

Yet your TWD at PBR I absolutely love because of how the flippers feel.

One major issue with Sterns is the awful buttons that don't use a spring and have a bump on the button shaft that creates a binding when you press. It's not a smooth movement. At least two or the pins in the stern room have this.
With my TMNT I replaced the buttons to have smoother action because of this.

This is all Very nerdy and I keep getting the pi$$ taken out of me for my obsession with flipper feel.

Back
Top Bottom