What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things Dialed in!

No. However my phone has started going dark mid game. This is my second phone? I have updated to the latest code recently, have you done the same?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

No. However my phone has started going dark mid game. This is my second phone? I have updated to the latest code recently, have you done the same?

no im still on the old code - this just started happening yesterday

Haven't seen that Kev but I think you're on the right track with the optos. Maybe an opto has fallen off as has happened on a few opto's under the playfield to many people. That or a wire off an opto.

My first phone failed within days of getting the machine but the replacement has been solid ever since. However, there's quite a few reports of screens blanking out on pinside. Some people are on their 4th phone and still having the issue. Just read the last few pages of the owners thread here . I'd get onto Phil or JJP for another replacement although they clearly haven't sorted the reliability of the phone screen yet.

....I see you're one of the posters in the thread.

Last edited:
@newdos You'd be better emailing me direct rather than post on here and waiting for a reply, I dont look every day....

Guessing it's an opto issue but before I puull it to bits has snyone else seen this issue ?

Quite obviously (to me) its an opto/switch issue, so take the cover off with those 4 screws and check them in switch test and let me know what isn't working.

However my phone has started going dark mid game. This is my second phone? I have updated to the latest code recently, have you done the same?

I think when I got you that 2nd phone I mentioned it was probably off the same batch as the faulty ones, last time I discussed this with JJP they said they thought they had it sorted, I have more phones in stock if you want me to send one?

Phil

@newdos You'd be better emailing me direct rather than post on here and waiting for a reply, I dont look every day....

Quite obviously (to me) its an opto/switch issue, so take the cover off with those 4 screws and check them in switch test and let me know what isn't working.

I think when I got you that 2nd phone I mentioned it was probably off the same batch as the faulty ones, last time I discussed this with JJP they said they thought they had it sorted, I have more phones in stock if you want me to send one?

Phil
Cheer Phil thats what I thought - will take a look

Kev

New Dialed In code is imminent :D . Buffalo streaming it tomorrow. Can't wait to see what's new, game is awesome as it is already! mine has been getting played to death lately.

I really enjoyed playing yours, when the time is right😎
Just got myself an AFM after playing yours and everyone loves it - result.

Yes, only had a quick glance at stream this morning but it looks like its nothing to get excited about. Minor tweaks, fixes and polish.

anyone else lost both the Theatre Screen and the phone screen at the same time? Game boots ok, no faults or warning just two blank screens.

Super unconvinced this is a hardware fault given they both went at the same time and they are connected to different video carts. @kevlar's machine like mine has the phone in the secondary card and the main screen and theatre screen on the main motherboard but I noticed on pinside some games are the other way around. Swapping the connectors makes no difference. The Screens come on with the blue test screen when the game boots and they both get detected as monitors although the also got detected as monitors when I disconnected them both and booted the game (although not sure if that's graphics card port detection or not) and because of this I'm wondering if its the OS that's got corrupt. Going to do a full re-install of 1.6 tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had seen this.

have opened a ticket with JJP but seems like they take an age to respond going on the posts on pinside. Was taking this game to Pinfest so hoping to get it back up and running.

Cheers,
Neil.

@Neil McRae Nope never had this, does sound like an OS thing, did you post it on Pinside as @LTG usually comes back straight away on JJP things.

I was listening to a Podcast yesterday that mentioned on some of the older Dialed In games, the PC isn't powerful enough to run the latest software reliably? Probably not related to your issue but worth a mention.

I was listening to a Podcast yesterday that mentioned on some of the older Dialed In games, the PC isn't powerful enough to run the latest software reliably? Probably not related to your issue but worth a mention.

yeah thanks - but I think that's a theory. JJP changed the CPU to a more beefier one but on mine with the less beefier one it played fine.

But its not related to that at all.

Neil.

@Neil McRae Nope never had this, does sound like an OS thing, did you post it on Pinside as @LTG usually comes back straight away on JJP things.

yeah no reply and have pinged JJP direct.

have to say though my experience with Dialed in wouldn't encourage me to ever buy another JJP pin. Pinball Heaven have been saints in supporting the game for me but the number of issues with the computer end of it is nuts.

Yes there's definitely an issue with the latest code causing slowdown in the videos displayed on the phone. JJP seem to have swapped cpu's at sometime in DI's on the line, the machines with the video lag all seem to have a weaker Celeron cpu , mine included. Removing the Bluetooth dongle seems to fix 90% of the video lag but others ( in the pinside thread ) have upgraded their cpu's. Some are also reporting very inconsistent coil strengths but I haven't noticed that.

I sold a lot of DI's, not had that many problems.... the phone was a pain but overall it wasn't horrific.

yeah I know Phil and you guys are doing an epic job in helping me (even though you don't have to!). Not sure this is indicitive of all games by any means but just my experience. I don't think JJP would survive if all games where like this one! Just annoying that its happened just before Pinfest as I know a lot of folks wanted to play it there. I'm hoping its some strange software issues and reinstalling the OS fixes it.

I wonder if the custom kernel has been compiled for this newer cpu thats been used. What CPU did they bump it up to?

I've upgraded the CPU this week to an i5 4670K I bought for £40 on Ebay took 1 minute to swap over - Plays much better no video lag anymore (scored 8 Billion on first game after upgrade and reached Showdown!) Coincidence, I think not .

Had horrendous slowdown after 1.57 especially on Big Bang and Acid Rain animations. Removed Bluetooth dongle too, but that incurs an error message at start up. As I don't use it, I hope that JJP allow for users to turn off Bluetooth in the options in later code

2019-08-14 14.28.59.jpg2019-08-14 15.21.15.jpg2019-08-14 15.32.03.jpg2019-08-14 15.32.01.jpg,2019-08-14 15.21.07.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-08-14 15.32.05.jpg
    2019-08-14 15.32.05.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 7
I take it you can plug a keyboard in and ALT-F1 after its booted to a shell?

Bit of an own goal if they do release code that doesn’t work properly on older models. Doesn’t exactly encourage people to buy early.

Just one thing I'd say having reached Showdown for the first time and beaten it (I think) it's a great looking thing (no spoilers) but when you finish it, nothing happens. Armageddon on the other hand which is easier to reach in theory is a superb bit of theatre. Hope they finish off Showdown to give some kind of payoff.

Back
Top Bottom