What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
You seen this in the flesh Neil? if so what’s the powder coat like IRL?
Oh and grab me a TMNT Topper while you there 😝

I think that's the guy in Canada from Pinside mate. He posted quite a few pictures and the powder coat does look lovely. Much more sparkle than Mando

We played Godzilla Pro at the Brunswick Centre Arcade (Funland) in London last night (our Flipper Beast came along).

They have 100% new Stern pinball machines at the venue and, thus, it’s easy to compare to other models. They also have TMNT Premium, ST Premium, Mando Pro, LZ, The Beatles and JP2 Premium.

Godzilla Pro was my favourite pin at the venue. The callouts - from what I could hear - were appalling (lots of “shoot the left ramp”-type stuff). However, it has a wide variety of interesting shots with ramps, orbits and wireframes that are probably smoother than A:IQ. The two wireframes criss-crossing the playfield were a highlight; they felt a lot like the flowing boat ramps on Fish Tales. The playfield lacked toys, but the variety of shots, lanes and rollovers meant the playfield felt crowded without being confusing. The graphic design looks less lurid in reality than on pictures and suits the theme, which is campy like Batman ’66.

In general, Godzilla Pro felt faster and smoother than JP2 Premium, which felt clunky by comparison. The speed and variety of shots/angles also made it feel harder - there were multiple routes back to the flippers.

The Flipper Beast (age 4) also liked Godzilla Pro. He said “I like Godzilla because it has different cities in it and different types of buildings to knock down. I liked it more than Jurassic Park.”

1F32D82B-AE9C-48D2-A7A0-285FA485E95D.jpeg

Remember what I said about people who use the world "clunky" LOL

The shots on AIQ, JP2 and GZ are all like sliding a hot knife through butter. Its whether you can make the shot.

however as expect those running a pinball arcade without any pinball knowledge at that pitch the game is going to play like body floating in the Thames.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 09.53.25.png

Regards,
Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember what I said about people who use the world "clunky" LOL

The shots on AIQ, JP2 and GZ are all like sliding a hot knife through butter. Its whether you can make the shot.

however as expect those running a pinball arcade without any pinball knowledge at that pitch the game is going to play like body in the Thames.

View attachment 150914
I was making a direct comparison to between JP2 and Godzilla (GZ). GZ is definitely a smoother play than JP2; very similar to the A:IQ (which I believe is yours) at FlipOut. There are a lot of interlocking/interlinking ramps/wireframes/orbits, more so than JP2, and more links between the upper and lower playfield.

To my knowledge, the guy running the Brunswick pinball arcade is a long-time pinball distributor who is using it as his showroom (hence, all the premium editions). I would have been interested to see a GZ Premium, but AFAIK those haven’t started shipping yet.

I was making the comparison between JP2 and GZ because those are the pins I spent most time playing. I didn’t rate any of the other machines for various reasons (in LZ’s case, I think the music, which you can’t hear in a noisy arcade, is a big part of the experience). I can discuss if anyone is interested in potentially ordering GZ and wants to understand my playstyle.

If you play JP2 and GZ in quick succession, as I did, JP2 feels ‘clunky’ in comparison and that’s not because I was doing worse on JP2 (in fact, I found JP2 a lot easier - I nearly completed two paddocks and got multiple replays). I think, personally, if you find JP2 hard, you will find GZ much harder - the ball position is more unpredictable because of the numerous shots, rollovers and lane guides exiting at various positions onto the playfield. I found that interesting, but I can see why other people might not.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAX
I like reading everyone's reviews and I'm looking forward to trying it out at Tilt and Electric Circus but from what people are saying it looks like my initial thoughts of it being too hard for me atm will be right. Still think it looks amazing for more skilled players though.

Two paddocks 'nearly' completed doesn't suggest you found it terribly easy tbh mate 😂
Yeah, I’ve been playing pinball since July. Literally 🙄

Note the comparison words: ‘a lot easier (than)’. In GZ, I managed to do flamingo-all towards any goals, but it still felt worth exploring. I’d compare it to LoTR - a tonne of shots, but the skill is about making the right ones.

The difference, I think, between JP2 and GZ (and both the two adults present agree with this assessment) is that GZ felt that the shots are overall more interesting and there are more of them. I think it’s because the way the ramps and lanes are set up; the playfield is more open. There’s a lot of stuff filling the left-hand-side of JP2 (e.g. that big ball lock cage mechanism, the actual physical control tower, and the control room).

I’m not saying JP2 is a bad game. In fact, it’s probably among my favourite modern pinball machines. I’m just saying that I was surprised that, given how much I like JP2, I liked GZ more*.

*I was also surprised, given how much I suck at pinball, that we got so many champions, replays and high scores. I’m guessing the clientele are mainly young kids who play pinball worse than we do.

Last edited:
however as expect those running a pinball arcade without any pinball knowledge at that pitch the game is going to play like body floating in the Thames.

View attachment 150914

Regards,
Neil.
I had to wind in the back leg threads all the way on my Stranger Things (like in the photo) to get 6.5 degrees. The front are also wound all the way in. First time I've had to do that. I have raised it since to make it steeper. I'm starting to think I need a new way to measure the inclination...

I was making a direct comparison to between JP2 and Godzilla (GZ). GZ is definitely a smoother play than JP2; very similar to the A:IQ (which I believe is yours) at FlipOut. There are a lot of interlocking/interlinking ramps/wireframes/orbits, more so than JP2, and more links between the upper and lower playfield.

To my knowledge, the guy running the Brunswick pinball arcade is a long-time pinball distributor who is using it as his showroom (hence, all the premium editions). I would have been interested to see a GZ Premium, but AFAIK those haven’t started shipping yet.

I was making the comparison between JP2 and GZ because those are the pins I spent most time playing. I didn’t rate any of the other machines for various reasons (in LZ’s case, I think the music, which you can’t hear in a noisy arcade, is a big part of the experience). I can discuss if anyone is interested in potentially ordering GZ and wants to understand my playstyle.

If you play JP2 and GZ in quick succession, as I did, JP2 feels ‘clunky’ in comparison and that’s not because I was doing worse on JP2 (in fact, I found JP2 a lot easier - I nearly completed two paddocks and got multiple replays). I think, personally, if you find JP2 hard, you will find GZ much harder - the ball position is more unpredictable because of the numerous shots, rollovers and lane guides exiting at various positions onto the playfield. I found that interesting, but I can see why other people might not.

Let me 'de-yaddaify' this post. :D

"I need to play better" :D

Let me 'de-yaddaify' this post. :D

"I need to play better" :D

Let me ’de-yaddaify’ your post.

I’m being an ass*.

*Genuinely, I’m unsure whether you turn up on everyone’s comments to make catty remarks, or whether I’m worthy of special honour, but you turn up a *lot* on almost every one of mine and it’s a dick move every time. I posted my impressions of GZ out of a sincere desire to help people who may be considering pre-ordering this pin, because many people are *not* in inner London and don’t have easy access to an arcade. I’m sorry that bothered you somehow.

I had to wind in the back leg threads all the way on my Stranger Things (like in the photo) to get 6.5 degrees. The front are also wound all the way in. First time I've had to do that. I have raised it since to make it steeper. I'm starting to think I need a new way to measure the inclination...

play what you enjoy but in my view the latest games from Stern all play better at around 7 degrees.

That’s very odd unless the playfield hasn’t been seated right.
On all of my pins just a small amount of thread can be seen at the top (ie the back legs are high) - all of mine somewhere between 6.5 and 7 purely as that’s usually the recommendation from the game designers.

Yeh its odd, I'm playing with the inclination to try to get the right flipper shot into the mouth, can only manage it from the left. I read raising the pitch can help, don't want to end up breaking the left shot so just raising it a bit then play testing for a while to see what's what. I *think* I'm at 6.7 at the moment.

I'm trying to avoid dismantling the Demogorgan, got it propped forward as far as it will go with some foam but the right flipper shot is still eluding me.

turns out that he is hitting a bug that causes this which will be fixed by Wednesday next week.

Hopefully before Christmas
otherwords -> nobody has any idea.

I heard there was a container coming in November but I also heard that there might be no containers until next year, which frankly, thanks to Stern's policy on LE's, given we've all had to pay well in advance is a bit of a **** take.

Stern and electrocoin won’t tell you anything not even what’s on the container the pro was supposed to ship last week but it didn’t I think the best thing would be to wait till the premium and le are ready to ship and do it all in one go I don’t expect to see any other titles shipping this year though

Stern and electrocoin won’t tell you anything not even what’s on the container the pro was supposed to ship last week but it didn’t I think the best thing would be to wait till the premium and le are ready to ship and do it all in one go I don’t expect to see any other titles shipping this year though
I don’t think electrocoin know what’s in the container until they open it!

id be happy with LE 1000 no mater how long it takes as long as any issues been ironed out!

The shows the self borging that I was talking about and that there is still code issues to solve :D

Imagine being this guy...

View attachment 151112

He's just forgotten what it's like to have a budget that's all. Last week when I was collecting Jessica from school two mums were talking and one said "I don't know how anyone can shop at Aldi... it's gross". 😂

Daniel just hasn't considered that for many it's not 'Premium or fail', it's 'Pro or nothing' and it may well take 2 years to save that much.

It's not particularly nice to save up for a couple of years for your dream purchase to than be informed it's $h1t by someone who can afford a more expensive model.

Back
Top Bottom