What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Escape from Megaverse Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Well exactly.
BAYC have made up their own terms on how copyright should work for their NFTs.
Nothing stops me from copying said ape and using it however I want, except a random company's terms saying "please don't do that".
It's completely separate and inferior to actual IP laws, and no precedents or laws have been set.

I'll agree that no precedent has been set in law yet regarding NFTs, but surely you can agree that the use case - verifiable ownership of digital assets - is something that is desperately required. And whilst I'll admit there are flaws in the protocol as it stands, there are ways to fix it.

Anyhow - I'll be at Swavesey next weekend so we can probably have a chat about it over a few beers? It's an area I find genuinely interesting.

It's interesting, because as far as I've seen, the NFT use case inevitably ends up being either useless, or a worse version of something that already exists. (in this case, normal IP law)

I won't be at Swavesey but would happily discuss at Pinfest if you're there 😁

I'll agree that no precedent has been set in law yet regarding NFTs, but surely you can agree that the use case - verifiable ownership of digital assets - is something that is desperately required. And whilst I'll admit there are flaws in the protocol as it stands, there are ways to fix it.

Anyhow - I'll be at Swavesey next weekend so we can probably have a chat about it over a few beers? It's an area I find genuinely interesting.
I"ll be there& would love to chat about it. There are many use cases for NFTs, but I don't think expensive art ownership is one.

Same could be said of any nascent technology. Quantum computing or carbon nanotubes for example.

I think we'll start to see blockchain technology as fundamental once decentralised identity starts to gain traction : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/business/solutions/decentralized-identity
Quantum computing and carbon nanotubes are both fundamental research, and have clearly valuable applications. Neither is true of blockchain - it's just a rehash (pun intended) of existing primitives, and hasn't demonstrated any actual value to society as a whole.

I'll also be at Swavesey, sounds like a fun chat :)

Still confused as to why anyone should then want a NFT ape as a game theme. It makes Twister seem like a stroke of genius.

If it’s not a show and you don’t own it etc then is this game just a collection of poorly drawn apes?

About as interesting as the Supreme theme.

I was lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time with the Ethereum L1 R&D team at DevConnect in Amsterdam, including Vitalik, Danny, Justin etc. I don't think anyone sees Monkey pictures as the use case for blockchain, but here it is today huh, in Stern form.

So it's basically about expanding on someone elses work and selling something based upon the back of it....

Sounds like Pyramid selling to me...
Lots of journalism supporting that view here too

So it's basically about expanding on someone elses work and selling something based upon the back of it....

Sounds like Pyramid selling to me...
Which is what all the blockchains are.

crypto = ponzi

it’s a zero sum game- for every £1 or $1 of hard currency made from crypto, someone has lost/spent or “invested” that £1 hard currency. transaction fees in all crypto systems have/are skimming off a tidy sum for the people who own those crypto processing / blockchain validation services. all paid for by a load of people who will lose hard currency. the biggest losers are yet to come, they are the ones left holding large amounts of valueless crypto

blockchain tech sucks - the sooner we abandon it , the better IMHO

And that doesn't even cover the insane ecological impact of mining. And for what? So crypto bros can gamble more, idiots can go to celebrity back patting retreats and people can use daft ape avatars on twitter to show how much disposable income they have.

Can't wait to see it all burn to the ground.

Lots of journalism supporting that view here too

The best and most accurate quote in this - "The whole thing operates by buying worthless assets, believeing you will later be able to sell them to a bigger fool"...

1655887818693.png

Edit - added the above pic...

Last edited:
One things for sure. There are certainly a lot of people feeling very foolish right now.

I have a vastly different view on the whole piece, but as I say, I think there has been some true internet bubble poop going on, lots of institutional money and many of the points raised by line goes up are true. However, there is far more at play and an underlying belief of builders who are focused on making the technology match its intended ideals. Are there huge numbers of Ponzi schemes conning people out of cash, yep? Are retail "investors" going to feel the brunt of some of the fallout? Yep. Will the technology serves a purpose in the future, with some elements becoming ubiquitous, I think so. Time will out. However, as I say, Monkey pictures worth hundreds of thousands if not millions and others riding the coattails and the infinite cycle of 10,000 profile picture NFT collections are not the way.

Ironically, the first thing anyone who owns crypto currency tells you is how much it's worth in 'real' money.
Unless they've made a loss and they say nothing

I don’t even want to try and understand all this bul****.
However! I will happily stick my **** out of my bathroom window and have the wife throw dildos at it in the chance one of the pictures hits the intended bullseye. Now that a picture surely worth paying for don’t you think.
Now If anyone wants to pay me thousands of pounds for these pictures let me know and I’ll arrange ASAP as it could be a way of funding the next JJP / Stern pin. 👍

crypto = ponzi

it’s a zero sum game- for every £1 or $1 of hard currency made from crypto, someone has lost/spent or “invested” that £1 hard currency. transaction fees in all crypto systems have/are skimming off a tidy sum for the people who own those crypto processing / blockchain validation services. all paid for by a load of people who will lose hard currency. the biggest losers are yet to come, they are the ones left holding large amounts of valueless crypto

blockchain tech sucks - the sooner we abandon it , the better IMHO

How does that compare with fiat currency? The only time new fiat is generated is by governments printing more money, which devalues the money in your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom