What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aligning flipper, tight nut

David_Vi

Site Supporter
Alias
DaveTheTrain
Noticed turtles was draining SDTM if plunging around the orbit. Thought the flipper might be touching the ball slightly (although hard to confirm even in a slow mo video).

However its definitely not aligned correctly.
I have Allen keys from Pinball heaven, I've managed to align flippers on the other machines but I can't loosen the nut on that flipper at all. It feels like I'm going to strip the head.

Any ideas? Or reccomendations for a specific Allen key?

20211116_130241.jpg
20211116_130735.jpg

Attachments

• 20211116_130245.jpg
    20211116_130245.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 5
I had this issue a couple of weeks back with my MET (not completely sorted my ball hop issue unfortunately) - I can't quite see the size of the allen keys you are using, but I ended up using a pretty long allen key; prior to that I was having no luck and was worried I'd balls it up.

try a gentle tap on the allen key with a hammer

There's a bit of give when I try move the allen key, as if it's bending, but might be it's not a snug fit (maybe stripped it a little 😕).
So I'm not sure the hammer will work. I'll try though!

I had this issue a couple of weeks back with my MET (not completely sorted my ball hop issue unfortunately) - I can't quite see the size of the allen keys you are using, but I ended up using a pretty long allen key; prior to that I was having no luck and was worried I'd balls it up.

It says 5/32 which I assumed was right as stern must be imperial?

There's a bit of give when I try move the allen key, as if it's bending, but might be it's not a snug fit (maybe stripped it a little 😕).
So I'm not sure the hammer will work. I'll try though!

It says 5/32 which I assumed was right as stern must be imperial?
If it fits snuggly then you have the right size - I meant getting as long a key as you can is a good idea; takes all the effort out of it and I'd nearly given up before that as was jammed super tight.

I had the same problem, put so much effort in felt like it was going to snap. I don't know what they're called (allen key handle? extender? cover?) but hubby gave me one of these to go over the allen key and now they are a lot easier
Allen+Key.jpg

I had the same problem, put so much effort in felt like it was going to snap. I don't know what they're called (allen key handle? extender? cover?) but hubby gave me one of these to go over the allen key and now they are a lot easier
Allen+Key.jpg

That looks useful! Will try a Google..

Don’t use Allen keys!
I have this draper set, about £15 on Amazon.
I’ve always used this (see photo) - never had a problem getting tight screws undone 👍View attachment 152984

Got a link? 😁

And does that one fit a hex bolt like the one I'm trying to get off?

That bit set is £10.99 - I don’t even own Allen keys, I hate the things 👍
You ever tried to align a flipper? Those must be the tightest bolts ever.. I'm always scared I'm going to slip and the allen key flies out ripping wires out 😂

Ordered the set, why the hell not!
Will get it tomorrow and see if i can manage it

You ever tried to align a flipper? Those must be the tightest bolts ever.. I'm always scared I'm going to slip and the allen key flies out ripping wires out 😂

Ordered the set, why the hell not!
Will get it tomorrow and see if i can manage it
I’ve done it loads, it’s easy once you’ve done it a few times, you can put a screw driver through the hole in the handle of the one in that set and hold it like a cross for extra torque if one screw is a bit tight

That bit set is £10.99 - I don’t even own Allen keys, I hate the things 👍

You’ve obviously never tried PB Swiss Allen keys, they are amazing, truly beautifully made and with a lifetime guarantee. I use them daily for work, can’t recommend them enough, a little pricey but well worth it.

You’ve obviously never tried PB Swiss Allen keys, they are amazing, truly beautifully made and with a lifetime guarantee. I use them daily for work, can’t recommend them enough, a little pricey but well worth it.
Yeah no doubt it’s a case of the right tool for the job and quality tools are always much better. I’ve just found it easier with these flipper adjustments to use something with a fatter grip.

Allen+Key.jpg
thats an ikea one ! good idea though

Reactions: Jib
I’ve done it loads, it’s easy once you’ve done it a few times, you can put a screw driver through the hole in the handle of the one in that set and hold it like a cross for extra torque if one screw is a bit tight

Yeah it's ok on ones I've done before, but i guess this Stern has never been loosened since it was built in the factory so probably uber tight!

brand new should just need a good fast wrench to click it free. even a 40 year old rusty one will come free easy enough.

Absolutely no luck here, even with new bits. It feels like the allen key or tool is going to turn, then it pops out. I'm sure it's stripping it. All other bolts loosen so easily I have no idea why this one is being an absolute....
I'm scared I'll strip it now, and the fact the key wiggles in it a bit kinda says I already have🙄

Last edited:
It's definitely the flipper alignment sending the balls down the middle... If I remove the rubber from the flipper bat the balls go to the far left of the bottom left flipper.
🙄🙄🙄
Absolutely no idea how I'll realign this!

It's definitely the flipper alignment sending the balls down the middle... If I remove the rubber from the flipper bat the balls go to the far left of the bottom left flipper.
🙄🙄🙄
Absolutely no idea how I'll realign this!
If you have to go nuclear on it, pipe grips on the caphead exterior. You won't want to back in but you'll shift it...

If you have to go nuclear on it, pipe grips on the caphead exterior. You won't want to back in but you'll shift it...

Would that really work? I just imagine it slipping as there's not much to grip onto on the outside of the head.

Someone else reccomended using a dremel to create a flathead slot in the top, but I don't own a dremel, although tempted now

If your Allen key isn’t moving it, a slot and flat head screwdriver certainly won’t. You are turning lefty loosey?

Decent set of Allen keys would be my suggestion.

I’m having similar issue on Godzilla - the flipper adjustment bolt is crazy tight. Couldn’t loosen it last night and decided to sleep on it and get some new tools to try from work. The mech is twisted slightly so it fouls on a screw and the flipper doesn’t have full range of movement.

If your Allen key isn’t moving it, a slot and flat head screwdriver certainly won’t. You are turning lefty loosey?

The inside of the head looks too rounded for an allen key. If you get it out, you definitely don,t want to be putting it back into the machine.
Instead of pipe grips I would be trying a set of mole grips set to a tight grip on the outside of the head.

Use the correct size Allen key , the longer the better for more Leverage . A ring spanner or a nut driver will make you Allen key longer. If you have good quality Allen keys they well flex but ell not snap , well I have not had one snap yet !

Don’t use Allan keys as noticed above they are usually terrible interms of accuracy.

get your lighter out and gently heat the bolt it will remove any threadlocker and expand the bolt and it’s holder being careful to keep it away from plastic and other non heat friendly items. As noted replace the hardware when putting it back together.

The inside of the head looks too rounded for an allen key. If you get it out, you definitely don,t want to be putting it back into the machine.
Instead of pipe grips I would be trying a set of mole grips set to a tight grip on the outside of the head.

It's rounded from the failed allen key attempts I have no idea how considering the others underneath are snug, unless it was stripped a little bit before from the wrong size allen key.
I'm going to look into mole grips, there's a Wickes next to work, i hope they work!

Don’t use Allan keys as noticed above they are usually terrible interms of accuracy.

get your lighter out and gently heat the bolt it will remove any threadlocker and expand the bolt and it’s holder being careful to keep it away from plastic and other non heat friendly items. As noted replace the hardware when putting it back together.

The threadlocker had crossed my mind and I tried a lighter but not for long, do you know if once you've applied the heat does the threadlocker loose effect forever or does it set again once the heat has gone, if you know what i mean?

Do you know the type of screw or part number?

I was thinking of cutting a groove for a flat head as the head is already stripped.
Definitely left / anti clockwise 😣

Back
Top Bottom