What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afterglow Nano - Group Buy - ** ££ payment time ££ **

stumblor

Site Supporter
Alias
Davey Price
AFTERGLOW NANO

About 6 months ago @Vimtoman raised the possibility of doing a group buy for some fully populated and ready to go Afterglow Nano boards.

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/afterglow-nano-and-gi-build.44357

If you're unfamiliar with the Afterglow project, it was made as a low cost solution to make modern LED inserts and GI behave more like classic incandescents. If that sounds a lot like LEDOCD, you're right! It's exactly the same thing. Only much cheaper.

Christoph (the creator) tried to film a before/after, here it is so you can see it in action.

Current Interest:
----------------------
Vimtoman x 1 ✅ PAID
@Toxteth O'Grady x 4✅ PAID (2 from Tyke)
Stumblor x 9✅ PAID
@M4carp x 4✅ PAID
@Julian x 2
Tony x 2 ✅ PAID
Broomstick x 2✅ PAID
MadNat x 1✅ PAID
MajesticPinball x 2✅ PAID
Rick87 x 1 ✅ PAID
DanLewell x 2✅ PAID
David_Vi x 1✅ PAID
Replicas x 2✅ PAID
BigIan x 2✅ PAID
----------------------
Extras:
Fifty x 1
Matrixnetuk x 1
----------------------
Total: 35

Twister on flippermarkt doesn't seem to want to kick off another group buy at his end, so i thought I'd investigate the cost of doing it through PCBWay.

Price for 10 boards - approx £60 each
Price for 20 boards - approx £53 each
Price for 40 boards - approx £50 each <-- Currently here
Boards are £40ea (delivered)- still some spares so hit me up

Bear in mind the following things

* This would be a zero profit group buy. That means profit, free boards, or anything else.
* This doesn't include cabling. Ideally each person would do this themselves (details here), since large amounts of cable crimping is right ol fafferama. Also wont include PCB risers or screws.

So - the question is, who is interested, and at what price would you be interested?

===================================================

AFTERGLOW GI

Happy to look at doing a GI group buy as well sometime in the future. You can see the GI at work in the background of this creech clip:

View attachment 20200619_132054_1.mp4

Current Afterglow GI Interest:
----
AndyPC x2
Tony x 2
M4carp x 3
broomstick x 2
MajesticPinball x 2
Rick87 x 1
Paul x 3
Fifty x 1
----
Total: 15

Last edited:
Been happy with my Afterglow boards, would be up for some more. Would be good to get a big order in to get the price down as they were pretty cheap before about £30/£40 ish I think. £60 still much better than the other option though.

Ive since bought a couple of ocd boards from members on here so only need 4 boards now.

As for price, as cheap as possible😁

Thanks for trying to organise this👍

I'd be in for some too please, maybe 4 depending on the price.

Do they work and offer any benefit to RFM?

I'd be in for some too please, maybe 4 depending on the price.

Do they work and offer any benefit to RFM?

Pinball 2000 rows/cols are the same as WPC, but it really depends on whether the pinball 2000 architecture polls the cols/rows in the same way as WPC. At the very least you'd need to be building a different extension cable for the IN (16 row molex thingy) and an adapter for the OUT, but I would try to borrow one first and test it.

£53 at the moment, another 20 boards or so and we could get them for £40.

I'm sorted for the nano, however if you get there sign me up for the GI... I'm even happy to assemble my own boards if it could be supplied as a kit!

I'm sorted for the nano, however if you get there sign me up for the GI... I'm even happy to assemble my own boards if it could be supplied as a kit!

I can sort out a kit for the GI Paul. I'm just waiting on some parts to come in but will let you know. All in a kit for that would be £45 delivered (there's an 8 quid component in there!) but the soldering takes about half as much time as the nano.

I suppose I should really know this and I’m sure this is out there, but could someone please explain the difference between nano and GI?
Thanks

Nano is for doing the inserts, GI is for dealing with machines that use GI fading - not all of which do.

Two gismos mate - nothing is easy! :)

Here are ones I've been building by hand, nano on the left, GI on the right (minus a few connectors and the Arduinos).

1592470854257.png

are you offering both here or just the nano? thinking about Taf?

This is initially just for the Nano, made by machine (PCBWay) in China.

If there is enough demand for the GI we can do the same thing for that in a month or two. If demand isn't great enough for the GI to warrant a group buy I can instead offer it in kit form from my own supplies (£45 which is at cost). Still waiting on some parts for that but could possibly do in a month or so, anyone interested can PM me.

I've built up a bit of a discount with PCBWay due to the previous PIN2DMD group buys - happy to use this account so you can get a few more percent off?

I'm interested in the project for Fish Tales if its compatible - looks like it is.

That would be brilliant Mike, thanks very much.

I've already got an open quote with them, but need to remove some items from it (Arduinos and pin headers I can get cheaper elsewhere, so was going to solder them manually). I'll finalise that then maybe we can work out a way to transfer that to your account?

As you know, I'm interested if we can get it working with SAM.

I think this will end up having to be a different board anyway Tim, due to the extra connectors and mosfets. So we either build that one by hand, or test the water for a sam/whitestar group buy when the time comes.

I'm up for 2 nanos please dude, and 2 GI when it gets round to it. Although I'm sure you'll convince me to get more and stash them for a rainy day lol

@stumblor reading the original post, are these just for Williams and Bally? Will they work with Stern (LOTR)?

Yes mate these boards are just for wpc architectures at the moment. We're helping Christoph do the investigation into sam/whitestar but if that eventuates it'll be a different board.

Back
Top Bottom