What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afterglow GI - AGGI for short - Bulk order

@Ashram56 I wasn't in the bulk buy as I missed the boat, but asked if you have spare.

Can I be included in the UK batch for 2 boards please? If you have spare of course.

Yes I have spare (I think), especially since so far I'm missing a few responses (but I would have had spare anyway). I'll let you know once the tally is done.

Updated list:

@stumblor 4 units (includes @Fifty units) [confirmed]
@Andypc 2 units
@Fifty 0 units => 2 units transferred over to @stumblor
@MajesticPinball 2 units
@broomstick 2 units [confirmed]
@David_Vi 2 units
@Paul 2 units [confirmed]
@biglouieuk 2 unit (please confirm ?) [confirmed]

Missing @Andypc, @MajesticPinball and @David_Vi
Manufacturing is complete and has been shipped, so should be delivered within a week at my location. Crossing fingers everything will work as advertised :)

Yes, I'm still in for 2 Units. I am very near Stumblor so that's great for shipping. Please let me know the payment details.

@MajesticPinball and @David_Vi , please confirm and advise on shipment instruction.

I also received today the tax invoice, so final cost excluding shipping is 72 euros (not dollars) per unit. Still half the price than a "ledocd GI".

Delivery is on Tuesday at my place. I'll take a few days to test one unit, then ship to @stumblor for those who agree him acting to act as a hub (UK folks primarily).
International shipping from France is 20 euros to UK, up to 1kg.

Hello everyone !
I've just discovered last few days the afterglow project and I'd like buying the afterglow for inserts and afterglow GI (I've got one TAF)
@Ashram56, is there still chance to get one AGGI ? I'd like to purchase one if it's still possible. I'm based in France too.
I hope I still have chance.
And is there any plan for the afterglow for inserts as well ?
Thank you all and enjoy you pins !

Oui c'est possible

J'ai aussi fait

fabriquer des Afterglow pour les inserts, on peut en discuter par message privé

Ou êtes vous en France ?

Cordialement

Good afternoon,

Delivery was supposed to be today, but because of bad weather (snow !!!! of all things, in Britanny !!), the shipment has been delayed... Ah crap, I was looking forward to test this

Ah crap, it's still stuck in Leipzig... It took ONE day to cross the continent from China to Germany, and the package has been stuck there since last sunday... I'll call DHL

Sidenote: I also have a few Afterglow, for those who are interested (I had built a bunch, I think I have 5 available after accounting for all other requests I received).

Update: turns out I needed more cables than expected, as I could not pull far enough the existing cables all the way to the AGGI. And of course some connectors are not available on RS, some are available on Mouser but not all, etc... So in the end I had to do a split order, and waiting for them.

Bottom line: I don't have the connectors yet, and I won't have them nor time before our February break end of this week

So I'm making a huge leap of faith: I will dispatch to @stumblor all boards (16 units), without asking upfront payment. Hopefully @stumblor can test one or two boards in his setup and report.

@stumblor, I believe I have your shipping adress, let me know if I need to change it

Regards

There are enough people round these parts who know where I live in case you need to send the heavies around @Ashram56 ;)

Yes will be the same one I sent you earlier, will PM.

Great stuff mate. It's a big job but you will have a lot of happy pinballers for all those blood sweat and tears.

Just to clarify, I was not implying that Stumblor would somehow keep the boards :)

It's just that i'm shipping them without knowing if they work... So hopefully they do, otherwise I don't quite know how to fix it.

What cables are required?

On a related note I ordered all I needed for @stumblor 's afterglow mid/late last year and Mouser still don't have the connectors in stock so haven't shipped.. The date keeps moving further back (currently March!). Will I have to order anything else for this GI afterglow?

At a minimum, you will need:
- A set of three female 34pin ribbon connectors: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/571-1658621-8/
- A 34p ribbon cable, about 50cm (not sure on the exact length, mine was longer so I simply cut it)

Potentially, depending on your cable locations and how you power:

For power:
- 2 x female 12p MTA156 connectors : https://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/products/5355591/ (and yes, Mouser does not have them in inventory at this point)
- 1 x male 12p MTA156 connector: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/571-16403882/ (painful, you will have to directly solder to the pins the wires, this is to connect the incoming cable from the transformer)
(alternatively I've also ordered this part, easier to use, more expensive, should work as a male connector type, not tested yet : https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/571-4-641435-2/ )

For GI signals, you need to essentially build extension cables, for that you will need:
- 2 x 11p MTA156 male connectors: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/571-16404451/
- 2 x 11p MTA156 female connectors: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/571-4-640429-1/

Details:

The 34p ribbon cable is required to read the Triac commands

Power:
you need to take J115 and connect it to J6 on AGGI.
You might have two issues:
- If you setup the AGGI on the side of the backglass, you might need to build an extension cable for power
- In some pinball machines you can connect directly and leave the power board without any connection, in others (such as CFTBL), the machine still requires power connection to the power board through this connector for proper operation (chase bowl and ramp in the case of CFTBL)

Alternatively you can power separately throuh a 12V dedicated PSU (Meanwell or otherwise)

GI signals:
- You need to connect J120 cable to J3 and J121 cable to J4 on AGGI. So you might need to build an extension cable if you setup AGGI on the side of the backglass

If you setup everything at the bottom of the backglass (careful, space is limited, no room to actually mount AGGI on the backglass wood in this area), then you should be able to live with just the ribbon cable, and pull everything through. You will still need to power, and if you have a CFTBL you will need in any case the "power splitter cable"

Hopefully it's clear...

I have shipped all units to @stumblor , since Mouser still had not shipped my order of connectors so still could not test (as it seems the extreme weather in the US has impacted Mouser).
Package should be delivered by end of the week to @stumblor

Apologies for the long build time, since there had been some BOM errors it was not as smooth as a regular Afterglow build.

After conversion to Euros, adding sales tax (20%...) and shipment to Stumblor, end price per unit is 75 euros.
Please reach out to me by private message so I can provide my email adress for a Paypal payment

Regards

Last edited:
@stumblor should receive the package on Monday, and will advise on shipment back to you

On that note, we've had a little bit of a bad surprise: thanks to Brexit, it looks like shipment from EU to UK are now taxed if above 76 pounds. Don't ask me how and why, I thought there was a trade deal, apparently not so much, at least it does not apply to personal shipments nor shipments from european e-commerce websites. And to top it up, because of paperwork issue, there was a slight cost adder. With @stumblor we agreed that the easiest route was to eat the bullet and impact all boards with a 10 pounds increase (including mine that I did not ship and kept at home - ie 9 units). Sorry about that, there's a lesson to be learned, UK is not part of EU anymore, and shipping back and forth from EU is not as easy and tax free as it used to be.

Note on cabling: in case you have a CFTBL, I'm clarifying with @stumblor what is needed to power and drive the chase board, seems an additional cable will be needed

I will reach out by PM to those on the list below who did not contact me yet (some already did, thanks):

@stumblor 4 units
@Andypc 2 units
@MajesticPinball 2 units
@broomstick 2 units
@David_Vi 2 units
@Paul 2 units
@biglouieuk 2 unit ]

By the way, I would be interested to know which Pinball machines benefit the most (or even need it at all in the first place) from AGGI.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom