OP
A

Ashram56

Registered
Nov 10, 2020
France
Thanks, that's one hurdle resolved.

Production is 26 days from now.

I DO hope that personal shipments to UK will not be affected by Brexit...

Reactions: stumblor

caponian

Registered
Oct 10, 2020
Switzerland
github.com
Alias
smyp
Today I finally got around implementing the voltage measurement in the Arduino firmware. Now the input voltage, either coming from the direct DC input or from the AC converter block, is measured. The duty cycling of the LEDs is then adjusted accordingly. In theory this should result in input voltage independent brightness. Note that I have hardcoded a valid range from 8V to 15V in order to identify bad measurements.

In my test I have seen the AC/DC converter producing around 10.7V DC from the 6.3VAC on J115.

Reactions: stumblor
OP
A

Ashram56

Registered
Nov 10, 2020
France
Isn't there a typo in the statement "In theory this should result in input voltage independent brightness." ? I would have thought that precisely voltage measurement would allow for brightness control based on input voltage, hence "input voltage dependent brightness", or am I missing something ?

OP
A

Ashram56

Registered
Nov 10, 2020
France
Blank PCB manufacturing is complete.

I just received a request for info from PCBWay. Given that I've not assembled yet an Afterglow GI , would welcome some help:

> 1.Centroid file, see attached coordinate file for reference (you already offered,no need send again)
> 2.Assembly Instruction Drawing- display the polarity of Diode , Audion,LED, pls use “+””-”; display the orientation of IC, eg, dot for IC”s Pin1. see attached components position file for reference
> 3.3D map file-display the THT parts’location and orientation
> 4.Assembled real picture if you ever made, it will be the best reference.

On 2/ I can probably find out using the layout file
On 3/ I must say I'm unsure
On 4/ , anyone who built an AGGI (latest PCB) could provide a picture ?

Regards

stumblor

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2018
London · Davey Price
Alias
Davey Price
Blank PCB manufacturing is complete.

I just received a request for info from PCBWay. Given that I've not assembled yet an Afterglow GI , would welcome some help:

> 1.Centroid file, see attached coordinate file for reference (you already offered,no need send again)
> 2.Assembly Instruction Drawing- display the polarity of Diode , Audion,LED, pls use “+””-”; display the orientation of IC, eg, dot for IC”s Pin1. see attached components position file for reference
> 3.3D map file-display the THT parts’location and orientation
> 4.Assembled real picture if you ever made, it will be the best reference.

On 2/ I can probably find out using the layout file
On 3/ I must say I'm unsure
On 4/ , anyone who built an AGGI (latest PCB) could provide a picture ?

Regards

I can certainly help with 4 mate will send myself a reminder and try to get it done tomorrow

OP
A

Ashram56

Registered
Nov 10, 2020
France
Thanks !

Can you clarify what you mean by "bad C4 capacitor placement" ? I don't have the full history on that design. I see indeed there is a hole where C4 should be located...

stumblor

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2018
London · Davey Price
Alias
Davey Price
On one of the earlier iterations the C4 was accidentally placed over an underside trace, creating a short. The placement has been fixed on the version you are using.

OP
A

Ashram56

Registered
Nov 10, 2020
France
On one of the earlier iterations the C4 was accidentally placed over an underside trace, creating a short. The placement has been fixed on the version you are using.

Thanks

Also, I notice that pins have been removed on the connectors. This might be a problem to ensure this is done at PCBWay, is this absolutely required (ie are they keys in the corresponding cable connectors) ?

stumblor

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2018
London · Davey Price
Alias
Davey Price
Thanks

Also, I notice that pins have been removed on the connectors. This might be a problem to ensure this is done at PCBWay, is this absolutely required (ie are they keys in the corresponding cable connectors) ?

It's necessary for the wpc GI cables (they are keyed) but easy to do yourself with a pair of snips once they arrive. Just get yourself a rubber thimble so they don't ping up into your eye!

OP
A

Ashram56

Registered
Nov 10, 2020
France
OK, so for the purpose of the PCBWay build, I will leave this as is, and then people can cut them appropriately upon arrival.

Fifty

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Alias
Timmy B
@Ashram56 if it doesn't screw things up for you, I would like to remove myself from the AGGI list.

I originally wanted to be on the list to save on costs, but it seems the AGGI isn't much of a cost savings when compared to the savings on an Afterglow. At least for me in Canada.

The Afterglow, even with currency conversion and taxes added is still a $100CAD saving when compared to the LED OCD. The savings are a result of the Afterglow not coming with the mini-breakdown board, and additional cabling.

The AGGI, is a $60 savings when compared to the LED GI , but it still requires a Nano, and cabling, making the cost about even for me (before shipping).

Please let me know if it's too late to pull out. I don't want to be that guy so if this makes things difficult for you I want to know.

Last edited: