What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice please! Recommendations on first pin

PinballNoobie

Registered
Alias
ryanmybike
Hi,

Any advice on a good pinball to buy?

Years ago I had a Creature from the Black Lagoon that I had to part with.

I really enjoyed it. The 2 ball multiball was super hard. But when you had a good game it was extremely satisfying.

I'm now in a position to buy a pinball again - I can probably afford up to 3.5k or if I sell one of my watches, up to 8k.

I only really have room for 1 pin.

All advice welcome - thanks

Be nice and friendly, get to know the people on this forum
Then go and play as much pinball as you can, find out what YOU like
Then make a list of 5 game that you could live with, then sit back and wait until you find one of those for sale in your area. Buying something you have not played and need to get shipped may not end well. insisting that 'you must buy one now' will make you pay too much. Trying to save money by buying a project will end in frustration

Then make a list of 5 game that you could live with, then sit back and wait until you find one of those for sale in your area. Buying something you have not played and need to get shipped may not end well. insisting that 'you must buy one now' will make you pay too much. Trying to save money by buying a project will end in frustration
Thanks,

Is there an app that tell you pin locations? I recently found that the Arcade Club near me (Leeds) has 5 machines in it.

Medieval Madness
Addams Family
Batman66
Ghostbusters
Iron maiden

I really enjoyed playing MM -good shots and flow, a bit repetitive but very accessible, gameplay-wise.
Batman66 was good - I felt that there was a deeper game to explore.
Ghostbusters had some nice toys but I didn't enjoy it that much.
Addams family was ok, definitely better than I remembered it to be.

I really enjoyed iron maiden (Premium or LE) - great theme, music, a quite engaging game with some really tricky shots.

I need to try more pins before I commit to one.

Public locations on pinballmap or pinformer but both can be out of date as both rely on users to update.

Nerg event in newcastle gateshead will have 50 machines early July. Pinfest in daventry in August.

And you can join northern pinball league which runs January to June and is as competitive or relaxed as you want it to be.

Public locations on pinballmap or pinformer but both can be out of date as both rely on users to update.

Nerg event in newcastle gateshead will have 50 machines early July. Pinfest in daventry in August.

And you can join northern pinball league which runs January to June and is as competitive or relaxed as you want it to be.
Thanks, Asiapinball.

I was just looking at the events page and saw the closest one to me was the NERG at Gateshead - it's about an hour away but only £14.

Will definitely be looking to join in.

Be sure and try pins from all eras. "Good pins" is very subjective imho. I much prefer early SS pins over moden stuff (with a couple of exceptions maybe). Of course AIUI @AlanJ has a broad spectrum of pins from several eras :)

Welcome @PinballNoobie.
I have a CFTBL in my collection and agree with how satisfying it can be, despite having very straight forward rules.
Games have got a lot deeper over the years but the good ones still have something simple to catch you into playing one more game.

I would also add that by using a forum like this and buying sensibly, you can buy and sell games potentially losing only the cost of collecting them and a bit of maintenance. Then game doesn't have to be the dream machine, you can pick up a game, enjoy it for a bit and then sell it or buy another one. Maybe at some point, some machines then don't move on, and you then find yourself building more space for more...

@PinballNoobie
You’ve been given the best advice above. Hold fire on an impulse purchase to get out and play as many pins as possible first. Take up Alan’s offer, get to nerg and pinfest and you’ll have probably seen over 100 pins from different eras. There’s also normally a few pins for sale at pinfest too

Welcome @PinballNoobie.
I have a CFTBL in my collection and agree with how satisfying it can be, despite having very straight forward rules.
Games have got a lot deeper over the years but the good ones still have something simple to catch you into playing one more game.

I would also add that by using a forum like this and buying sensibly, you can buy and sell games potentially losing only the cost of collecting them and a bit of maintenance. Then game doesn't have to be the dream machine, you can pick up a game, enjoy it for a bit and then sell it or buy another one. Maybe at some point, some machines then don't move on, and you then find yourself building more space for more...
I'm still haunted by the CFTBL theme tune and you have to work to get the multiball - which rewards with it's build up tune and animation sequence.

It's difficult for a 2 ball multiball but awesome to find the creature.

A really fun pin

Thanks all for the much appreciated good advice.

My trigger fingers are itching!

I'm still haunted by the CFTBL theme tune and you have to work to get the multiball - which rewards with it's build up tune and animation sequence.

It's difficult for a 2 ball multiball but awesome to find the creature.

A really fun pin

Agree - the start sequence to the Multiball is one the finest in pinball . So dramatic ! One thing I miss on the newer games is the big build up moments like this - they really did those well in the 90s .

If you're in Leeds any chance you can get across the M62 to Bury ? https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/games/
They had plenty of tables and all played really nicely.
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm definitely going to make a visit to AC in Bury - I've just had a look at the list of machines they have on Pinball Map and really would like to play Godzilla Premium, TNA, Twilight Zone, Scared Stiff and Attack from Mars but with 21 machines, there's bound to be a few games that aren't headline grabbers but have good gameplay.

If you're in Leeds any chance you can get across the M62 to Bury ? https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/games/
They had plenty of tables and all played really nicely.
Cheers
Dave
Has the Pinball situation improved at AC Bury? Last time I went, and granted it was quite a few years ago, the Pins weren't in great condition bar the odd exception, and annoyingly simple things like not being leveled correctly. It put me off going back.

Apparently the pins at the Leeds venue are better maintained although not as many there

Excellent advice. I'm on my second and I bought them both because they were what I liked, regardless. Any machine is going to have its fans and haters.
I got some excellent advice on what to look for in the machine I'd chosen and have been really happy with them (addams then ghostbusters).

Yes, only 5 and Dave who works there has contacted me a few times for help. advice, parts etc. He's a nice bloke.
Oh wow, what do they have? I will go next time at my Mum and Dads. I went to the Retro Club in Bradford it has Deadpool,AIQ and GOTG. He also said to my brother he is closing in October when the lease is up for renewal.

Answer is easy

Never ask on a forum what pinball is the best to buy.

Pinball is like food/drink/music taste. So personal.

Go to maybe Williams Amusements (not that far from Leeds) and play a few - see if they will cut you a deal.

Also there are some members of the group near you - ask them to see if they will let you in one night for a chat and a play. But take some nice wine or something as a gift. You are in someone's house after all.

Go to NERG this weekend:

Okay it is a 2 hour drive from Leeds but you will play a load of different games.

Good luck !

I completely understand your situation. I did exactly as most have suggested a couple of years ago prior to joining this forum and not knowing much about pinball. Unfortunately the game i chose and purchased i’m still waiting for. So after a year of waiting i figured to try a used one in the meantime. - But I was frustrated because already having committed I wasn’t mentally prepared to purchase another machine. Getting you head around the price of these games is another thing to decide upon.

I found one, though choice was limited ( unlike at present ) but ultimately it wasent what i was looking for. This forum assisted and helped me work my way through around 6 games buying and selling until i just decided to go for the other game that i really enjoyed but at a whopping £11k

I haven’t looked back. Wish i had done it sooner.

One thing to consider - Which also i wish now i had done in the first place with but didn’t have the knowlage was to buy a V Pin - I picked one of these up a few months ago from this forum. 300 Games ( or more ) in the form of an actual pinball cabinet.

Very realistic - and super helpful to play and understand the game within your own home and pace. Some games i really wanted to try I’ve found ain’t for me and others i hadn’t heard of i really enjoy - then i’ve sought these games out and tried them for real

I only have space for 3 pins

I was lucky to make a call at the right time and end up with my 2nd real pin which with my experience now is another game i thoroughly enjoy and is a mixture of old style and morden tech

If you were closer i’d say come round and experience my games and hopefully help you avoid all the mistakes i made
I had a Creature , but for me after some time the game started to annoy me when i would spend my game accumulating the points needed for multiball then it was all over in a flash.

As a few have said there is only you who can decide if a game is your cup of tea and it can take quite a few game plays to realise that - A bummer if you don’t have your own van and are stuck with it for a while

I went NERG today - it was good. Pretty busy but I got to play most of the games there and here's a few of the 50+ games I enjoyed:

Ironman
No Fear
Batman
Attack from Mars
Walking Dead
Spiderman
Hoops
Star wars(stern)
Galaxy(stern)

Well worth the visit.

I did learn something important - not all pins are created equal. The condition of the pinball machine and additional feedback items like shaker motors has a huge impact on the level of enjoyment a game can deliver.

A smooth operating Gilligan's Island can be much more rewarding than a cramped out Indian Jones.

Back
Top Bottom