What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8-bit Flip - Great day out

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Just a quick message to say that i had a great time down at the 8-bit flip event yesterday. The layout was great and reminded me a lot of the old arcade days with pinball and arcade games mixed together, with varying levels around the room, but with great care taken to ensure easy flow.

Hats off the northern pinball guys and arcade club, as it was obvious to me that a lot of time and effort had gone into making sure the layout fitted the space perfectly. I had a small area in one corner of the room to talk about my projects and hope everyone who i spoke to enjoyed what i was showing.

Hope that it becomes a regular event guys :) Happy Easter to all.

It was neither too busy nor too quiet. About 90% of the machines were in use at any time, and no machines had a queue or more than one person. Result!

The way the NLP boys (Dave Dutton mainly) organised the tournament was simple yet brilliant - all machines were available to play by all attendees whether they were in the comp or not. Most games were set to 4 balls (some 3, older ones 5) with EBs on, the tournament players just had to plunge and drain them. Nobody would turn up just wanting to play a specific game and end up leaving disappointed because it was reserved for those in the comps. Much better in my opinion, and the only complaints I heard were that some games were too easy so they lasted too long (wtf? just make it 2 balls then for the experts) and that the comp took too long to complete (fair enough, maybe all *later* rounds could be 3 instead of 5 games, but the double elimination format early on was way better for the less expert players like me, as we all got to play at least ten games each before bfh).

Oh, and that Hulk machine may look ok (to you, not to me) but it was absolutely bobbins to play, probably my least fave game there. Avengers was crap when it was released and is still crap. My opinion only of course, apologies to those who love it or are about to sell one etc.

Fantastic weekend. Spent mostly with @ronsplooter and @teachp8 but lots and lots of friendly faces.

I hope others put pictures up here or on FB. Bring on the next show (Newcastle in 8 weeks for me, but there's one before that in Blackpool I think).

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_04_05_162bfddf8a4b61ba193ff079c506895d.jpgtapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_04_05_f6929b504d3e00dd46110ef1806cdb54.jpg

Last edited:
Phwar, what a weekend!

For a first attempt, a phenomenal effort by everyone involved to pull it off. Bar a couple of brief issues with the power on Saturday for one of the banks of machines (no doubt giving Poibug heart failure), everything else was smooth sailing!

Was nice to put some faces to names on here too that I've not met before.

Big thanks to the tournament organisers for their efforts, all 3 were a blast to take part in (I still have no idea how I made the semi final of the Big Flip but am not complaining :)). Well done to all the winners.

Also found it very cool having a machine there that everyone appeared to enjoy (the Spiderman next to STTNG) and thankfully (bar 1 cabinet bolt going missing) didn't skip a beat all weekend.

Here's hoping its the first of many going forward! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

That must have been Kate's game you were telling me about. Looks like it was nearly (?) a first ball LITZ?! Impressive stuffs.

Really really good weekend. Crazy venue, but it worked well, both with the number of machines and number of visitors. It was almost like someone planned it out. Well done to all the guys that made this happen :)

Superb weekend. One of the most enjoyable pinball events I've been too for a long time. Daz, Mark and David/Will on the comp front did an incredible job. The overall feeling I was left with was one of enthusiasm and passion for the silver ball and putting on a very professionally run event.

Well done guys, I for one will certainly make the effort to travel to any other events like this in the future.

Cheers, Craig

Thanks to the team for organising a great event. It took me back to the early 80s. Tightly packed games side by side. It really felt like a proper arcade in there.

The pins that failed got prompt attention, and those I played worked really well.

And there were some absolute classic (and rarely in use) video games to add some colour. Tron, Space Invaders, Track and Field.....

Looks great :)
Gutted couldn't get up there pinball beer and video games tick all the boxs for a bank holiday
Well done guys for pulling it off

Will

Feel drugged this morning...., great time though from Friday night through to Sunday evening. Hadn't seen the venue before this weekend and thought it worked great, a proper arcade layout that didn't get too congested despite the numbers when it peaked mid Sat.

First time entering the comps and assisting with the Big Flip score recording (that was an experience :eek:). Food and beer on your doorstep was a real bonus, Friday night too in the pinballer's section of the pub :D. This and the Travel Lodge were only a few minutes drive away.

Hats off to Dave Dutton, Martin and the other comp organisers. Was impressed with the way it flowed despite the late running on Sat and a small hiccup with the Old Flip on Sunday.

Thoroughly enjoyed overall, being involved and as a punter meeting up with a load of great lads from the South, Midlands and usuals from the North. Really looking forward to the next one.

Last edited:
Just had a look through the audits on Spiderman.

263 games played
984 balls played
2 games got to Battle Royale (Nick & Will Dutton)
4 games lasted over 10 minutes
37m was the average score
353m was the highest score
9 balls ended by a tilt (surprised by how low that one was)

Last edited:
Awesome weekend and great thanks to Mark, Daz, Poibug and rest of NLP crew for organising this. Looked just like an 80s arcade, set up was perfect and as Dan said right number of machines/peeps.

Thanks also to tournament organisers David and Will, Kete and Martin. Know how stressful running comps can be and you guys all did a fab job!:)

Well worth the long trip and will certainly try to make it again.

Not sure if it was vertigo from being so far north or the grease from the kitchen permeating the whole venue but felt really rough Sat and Sun eve and still not great - throat feels really tight and hot/cold. Just curious if anyone else had similar symptoms or was just me and the unusual northern air!:)

Well done again for a cracking weekend.

Cheers
Greg

dunno I normally feel like crap after a show.
then again,not eating well,talking/shouting over the show volume,being at venue fri-mon,getting up early/staying up late,drinking and helping set up/take down/load 51 pins is gonna make ya feel knackered anyway;)

Gutted I couldn't go to this. Looked like a right laugh.... Rather Depressingly I think I would rather have been in a dirty, dark, smelly northern temporarily converted strip club/arcade then be where I am now.... Florence

Thanks for posting up all the pictures and vides. It was nice to see. I am determined to go to a show this year:)

Great stuff Moose, liking the view changes. What a brill weekend it was.

Back
Top Bottom