What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted 5101 sram

ronnie63

Site Supporter
anyone know of a source for the above ram? I know Andy has some but I need a fair few possibly 10+ and at £6 a pop could do with a job lot.

Cheers Ronnie

Not in the UK, the cheapest I know of from a reputable supplier is $5 a piece in the US (for 10+) so after you add shipping and tax you are not saving much if anything.

5101 are long obsolete now, it's best to use NVRAM's or 6116 adapters now for longevity

Not in the UK, the cheapest I know of from a reputable supplier is $5 a piece in the US (for 10+) so after you add shipping and tax you are not saving much if anything.

5101 are long obsolete now, it's best to use NVRAM's or 6116 adapters now for longevity

Thanks for the reply Luke, yes I see what your saying, these are not for Pinball but for Nintendo video boards! which I know your familiar with, not sure 6116 would be an option in that case? I found a seller on ebay com selling 20 for $39 which is probably a good deal?

Cheers Ronnie

Thanks for the reply Luke, yes I see what your saying, these are not for Pinball but for Nintendo video boards! which I know your familiar with, not sure 6116 would be an option in that case? I found a seller on ebay com selling 20 for $39 which is probably a good deal?

Cheers Ronnie

Yes that's a good price.

Assuming they are for battery backup operation, make sure you check the datasheet for the specific version you are ordering, and check they are low power CMOS. I've come across some terrible 5101 variants over the year that can eat batteries in a couple of weeks

Yes that's a good price.

Assuming they are for battery backup operation, make sure you check the datasheet for the specific version you are ordering, and check they are low power CMOS. I've come across some terrible 5101 variants over the year that can eat batteries in a couple of weeks

No Luke, no batteries involved, as far as I know they are used for video ram in a Nintendo Space Fire Bird, and I'm sure the video board has multiples of them!

Ronnie

5101's

5101 sram.JPG

No Luke, no batteries involved, as far as I know they are used for video ram in a Nintendo Space Fire Bird, and I'm sure the video board has multiples of them!

Ronnie

Is that case the only thing that matters is the speed rating then, 2101's would probably be useable (as the difference between 2101 and 5101 is the 5101 is CMOS with lower power consumption for battery operation)

I got a bag of 10 recently... now trying to find out where... from AliExpress that's for sure.

Found it. 10 x Philips PCD5105P for $8.98 (about £6.30) with free shipping. As usual took a few weeks to arrive.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-10PCS-LOT-PCD5101P-PCD5101-DIP-22-DIP/32396666905.html

I don't know whether they're NOS or pulls but they look clean, all pins are straight and shiny, and show no signs of having been previously inserted. I've tested all of them in my Bally GOLD BALL and they all checked out ok (the Bally computer won't even start a game unless the chips test ok).

The PCD5101P are the fast 150ns 5101 and can be used in any 5101 or 2101 application.

I got a bag of 10 recently... now trying to find out where... from AliExpress that's for sure.

Found it. 10 x Philips PCD5105P for $8.98 (about £6.30) with free shipping. As usual took a few weeks to arrive.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-10PCS-LOT-PCD5101P-PCD5101-DIP-22-DIP/32396666905.html

I don't know whether they're NOS or pulls but they look clean, all pins are straight and shiny, and show no signs of having been previously inserted. I've tested all of them in my Bally GOLD BALL and they all checked out ok (the Bally computer won't even start a game unless the chips test ok).

The PCD5101P are the fast 150ns 5101 and can be used in any 5101 or 2101 application.

Thanks for this, could be very useful :thumbs:

Have you tested them all?

Have you inspected the legs for signs of being dipped?

I'm very happy if you have found a genuine bargain, but I got tired of buying fake/refurbished chips on ali express. It's a minefield on there!

How did you pay for them? no paypal option and not sure on using my debit card! could be dodgy!

How did you pay for them? no paypal option and not sure on using my debit card! could be dodgy!

You do need a credit/debit card on Ali Express. I don't think they are dodgy themselves, just many of the sellers are.

Hoping Peter posts back good news that the ones he bought all tested good :)

I think he says here Luke that they all tested as good, on that info I have ordered 20pcs:thumbs:

No need to worry about Ali Express. They're the consumer wing of Alibaba, China's largest on-line retailer. I've ordered about a dozen things over the last year, all have arrived and everything has worked. I don't know if some of the stuff is refurbished but as a lot of the parts I've ordered are obsoleted microchips (5101s, Motorola 68xx series, etc) that are no longer available I'm happy to take a punt. Even if I did buy from a reputable seller that had verified genuine original manufacturer stock, let's face it, they're still NOS and these parts are over 30 years old. Any of them could be duff. The difference is that these 5101s from China were 60p each instead of £6 each. If I was making commercial repairs I'd fit the best parts (and pass the costs on to the client) but for my humble collection of games I'm happy with these as they seem to work just fine.

No need to worry about Ali Express. They're the consumer wing of Alibaba, China's largest on-line retailer. I've ordered about a dozen things over the last year, all have arrived and everything has worked. I don't know if some of the stuff is refurbished but as a lot of the parts I've ordered are obsoleted microchips (5101s, Motorola 68xx series, etc) that are no longer available I'm happy to take a punt. Even if I did buy from a reputable seller that had verified genuine original manufacturer stock, let's face it, they're still NOS and these parts are over 30 years old. Any of them could be duff. The difference is that these 5101s from China were 60p each instead of £6 each. If I was making commercial repairs I'd fit the best parts (and pass the costs on to the client) but for my humble collection of games I'm happy with these as they seem to work just fine.

Your right, my worry was card security and the fact my bank will charge for the foreign transaction but hey ho seems a good deal

Is that case the only thing that matters is the speed rating then, 2101's would probably be useable (as the difference between 2101 and 5101 is the 5101 is CMOS with lower power consumption for battery operation)

The 2101 ram worked however the display was flickering! so must need the lower power cmos 5101?

Luke as far as I can find out they are D5101LC 1024bit sram which I think are 450ns?

Thanks Ronnie

Mine just arrived! I ordered 20 and got 21, not sure about the packing! in a decent box but stacked on top of each other and taped together in 2 piles! they are marked as philips so hope they good

Ronnie

I'd be interested in knowing of these work properly on Williams Defender video game boards as in the pas the Phillips ones have failed the self test. Maybe the ones I had were fakes ...

I'd be interested in knowing of these work properly on Williams Defender video game boards as in the pas the Phillips ones have failed the self test. Maybe the ones I had were fakes ...

That's a worry Dave! But has been said they all worked in a Bally pin but not sure what speed they need?

That's a worry Dave! But has been said they all worked in a Bally pin but not sure what speed they need?

The ones that didn't seem to work on Defender worked fine in a Bally pin.

I did buy a job lot of NVRAM but have yet to get round to making an adaptor for them.

The ones that didn't seem to work on Defender worked fine in a Bally pin.

I did buy a job lot of NVRAM but have yet to get round to making an adaptor for them.

Did the one's you bought look the same as those on Ali Express? still waiting to hear if they work on my boards!

Yes they did look the same, but like I said they worked fine on Bally pinball boards (and system 3-7 I think).

Yes they did look the same, but like I said they worked fine on Bally pinball boards (and system 3-7 I think).

Right, I guess they will be more demand from them for video ram rather than pinball memory ram, just hope they work in my boards, I guess they will be used in the same way as Defender but my boards use 8 of the 5101's time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom