What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 years of stern book? Another Kickstarter disaster?

So whats the general consensus on a Queen machine? I quite like Queen. I genuinely think the Flash Gordon soundtrack is the best movie soundtrack ever made. But not sure about a Queen pinball machine. That seems like a hard sell. The cool factor definitely isn't there.

So whats the general consensus on a Queen machine? I quite like Queen. I genuinely think the Flash Gordon soundtrack is the best movie soundtrack ever made. But not sure about a Queen pinball machine. That seems like a hard sell. The cool factor definitely isn't there.

Def an 'interesting' choice.

Alien was a legitimate dream theme.

Queen ??? Seriously ....in the year 2017 ...Queen seems like a very very distant memory. Weren't they Princess Di's favourite band ffs. See what I mean :eek: Even in the hipster-i-est of hipster barcades that's surely gonna be a hard sell :hmm:

Will depend on the US market and Queen didn’t really make it there. They couldn’t cope with mercury in drag etc - outside of US is the market big enough and there are still many unhappy campers who won’t touch HP again.

I would like a Queen with proper cabinet but no way with prices at £8k and unproven reliability. Also the rules need to be exceptional as it will be compared to AC/DC and Metallica and even KISS:p

Did you bite the bullet on shipping or get a friend in the usa to send to you? I have mine with a friend in the us ready to ship with some other things.

I do like the book, but the people who made it are total tossers in my view
Hi Jim,
Yes got a friend to post on for me. Cheaper , but still not cheap .
Book ok 👌🏿 On initial inspection , but really more of a picture book than a factual , insightful, behind the scenes type of book. Not a Patch on the Michael Shalhoub books . Disappointed . K.
Edit. Spent some time actually reading it this evening, and I actually really like it. Nice book, good job. Well done paperflock! You got there in the end!........😎

Last edited:
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2021/01/12/keeping-the-ball-alive-review/

Here's my review of the book on PinballNews website.

I'm so glad Stern didn't go with their original villain for Spiderman, and instead switched to the Marvel villains20210112_232522.jpg
The book is full of similar errors, thats before you start looking at spelling mistakes.
16104940749083267386152189240233.jpg
It's not "NOTEWORHTY", although they have repeated this on at least one other machine, so maybe they're trying to convince themselves?

Last edited:
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2021/01/12/keeping-the-ball-alive-review/

Here's my review of the book on PinballNews website.

I'm so glad Stern didn't go with their original villain for Spiderman, and instead switched to the Marvel villainsView attachment 130022
The book is full of similar errors, thats before you start looking at spelling mistakes.
View attachment 130023
It's not "NOTEWORHTY", although they have repeated this on at least one other machine, so maybe they're trying to convince themselves?
Well this isn’t surprising is it really!

From the pictures shared it doesn’t look like the layouts they were promising earlier either unless I’m remembering wrong. Just looks like an inconsistent mess

oh well lesson learned....

That 'noteworthy' IJ passage reads like when you leave something to the last minute and try to make something simple last around 100 words

And the majority of Noteworthy comments are similar. If you actually read it, it basically just lists the 4 IJ films, not really pinball related at all.
They do the same with Sopranos, listing all the cast members who sung the theme tune.

It's a shame because it's a really good quality book, only let down by its content.

That 'noteworthy' IJ passage reads like when you leave something to the last minute and try to make something simple last around 100 words.
Yep and its not difficult to add some 'noteworthy' things about this game is it. I wish they'd asked me FFS!

1) 8 ball multiball - sterns first return to massive (greater than 5/6 ball) multiball since apollo 13 and the game actually has 13 balls in it (5 used as captive)
2) 4 balls ejected at once from large on playfield ark toy with opening lid
3) 4 super bright led flashers - the first time stern used phone camera leds in a game
4) Custom rewrite & hardware available enabling the williams version to run on this playfield (this probably wouldn't have made it in though!! :))

Last edited:
4) Custom rewrite & hardware available enabling the williams version to run on this playfield (this probably wouldn't have made it in though!! :))
Why not? I managed to shoe horn my World Record in to my review. 😀

The book was clearly meant to be a photograph book, as that is where his passion is, and the original photos in the factory are of a high quality.
It's just that is not what they advertised the book as being.

Yep and its not difficult to add some 'noteworthy' things about this game is it. I wish they'd asked me FFS!

1) 8 ball multiball - sterns first return to massive (greater than 5/6 ball) multiball since apollo 13 and the game actually has 13 balls in it (5 used as captive)
2) 4 balls ejected at once from large on playfield ark toy with opening lid
3) 4 super bright led flashers - the first time stern used phone camera leds in a game
Even I knew about the 8 ball thing and I haven't even played it in the flesh. This book sounds pretty terrible.

I laughed at the observation that each game "features" list includes a minimum of 2 slingshots, and the "I have not found a machine detailed which did not have 2 slingshots" comment.

This book sounds like someone's final year dissertation when they lost motivation half way through and left completing it to a couple of days before the deadline.

Hard to imagine a harder audience to please than pinheads.
“the review of X missed out that it was unique in the way that it was the first to use 3mm screws). 😉

Back
Top Bottom