What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 years of stern book? Another Kickstarter disaster?

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Did anyone else here support the 30 years of stern book on Kickstarter last year (November ish) then hear diddly squat for a year since?

I was just going through some Kickstarter projects and realised I’ve not heard or received anything from them other than a Christmas card bauble that arrived in feb 2017!!!

Been following the thread on a Pinside Jim. Not good.
Whilst I don’t think they have deliberately set out to rip folk off, the lack of updates to backers is disgraceful.
The whole project stinks for me. If Stern wanted a celebratory book about their 30 years why didn’t they just commission these guys to write it ? Cheap ass approach all the way.

I really hope that every one who put money in eventually gets their book.

Yes I backed this...and have had regular updates..(3 a year I think).and this time last year they sent me a free cardboard book mark!?(do not think it will last to be used in there book though..lol) the updates I had made it look quite promising to be honest....working on the quality of patience and long-suffering for this one....time will tell. Looking at the amount of backers they did not raise a lot of money really to cover the project. Think they underestimated their costs....imho........I remain optimistic about this project, but have no reason to feel that way..:hmm::cuckoo::thumbs:

I backed it as looked like a good book with decent layout, good access to stern archive of pics etc, but over a year with no sign of a delivery date is yet another **** take.

I honestly think some creators think Kickstarter is a get rich quick sceme, but it’s not you still have to put the graft in and lots of it. Nothing is easy...

Heard on a recent Kaneda podcast that he has got one - "The only person on planet earth in possession of the Stern coffee table book" to quote him.

Heard on a recent Kaneda podcast that he has got one - "The only person on planet earth in possession of the Stern coffee table book" to quote him.
He gets off on all that exclusivity böllocks.

Pathetic shîte really, most folk don’t give a rats árse.

I’ll borrow it from the local library in 5-10yrs time, or read the British Library's copy when I walk past it sometime.

More interesting was that he said Queen is for sure HP's next game and that modular system is being scrapped and they are going back to normal cabinet. Unveiling is Texas in March.

Out when they have cryogenically rebirthed Freddie Mercury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yes Rob, interested in why so terrible I quite liked the idea of being able to swap out games if you dont have a lot of space etc.
like on some candy cabs where you change the control panel and header and new game.
the process also appeared quick from vids in the past i watched,

so yes wondered why the dumbest idea ever ? maybe not practicable real world etc i get, but not dumb

Just in the middle of cleaning out a fishtank and I think its going to be a lengthy reply...

lol, i suppose with having the playfield and graphics needing protection would need somewhere safe to keep them taking up space Neil

lol, i suppose with having the playfield and graphics needing protection would need somewhere safe to keep them taking up space Neil

Think we discussed this before on here ........ basically from an operator pov it made no sense ..........and it was initially being sold as a boon for ops. Remember at the start of Heighway the mission statement was all about getting pins back out there on site - cheap prices, modular parts, multiple new games a year etc etc. ....interesting to see how it's all panned out :rolleyes:

This is from my previous post back in June....

As an operator, just giving my opinion. I'm not sure what the 'first' kit would be a back to? My ROI would be increased if I had each full game and sold one after say 18 months, ie buy £6k, sell £4k net cost over 18 months = £2k. New machine £6k therefore total outlay over 18 months = £8k with one machine up and running.

As opposed to buy £6k, new kit £4k, total outlay £10k and still only one machine up and running. £2k to have a spare in a box? not worth it.

Maybe I'm missing something here and maths is not my strongest point but to me the numbers just don't stack up.

Still a cr*p idea.

Ok, so the modular swappable playfield design isn't a new idea. Pinball2000 did it 18yrs ago. As an RFM owner I have given this design a lot of thought. Would I be tempted to buy a Star Wars playfield for it? No, not even if it was a good game. For me its just too much hassle and risks damage to one or both playfields. The spare playfield would need to be stored in its box somewhere dry. How much smaller is that box compared to a tombstoned machine? Not much really. How much easier would it be to accidentally damage a populated playfield in a cardboard box than a playfield in a pinball machine cabinet? A lot.
The selling point of the design is supposedly so that Operators can upgrade to the latest money taking game at minimal cost. The problem being that now they have one and a half pinball machines but only one taking in money, the other taking up space somewhere. The half a machine will now lie forgotten about somewhere for the rest of time or be sold. But who do you sell it to? Its not like selling a whole machine, your potential market is now severely limited to other owners of that platform which means its a buyers market and you will be selling at a huge loss, if you can even find a buyer. Plus your brand new game internals are now having to go into an old cabinet which may have signs of wear and abuse from years onsite which may affect reliability, desirability and therefore revenue.
Looking at the Heighway design they've improved on the idea by allowing swappable cabinet artwork. But how much extra does it cost adding that complex double skinned cabinet slot to every machine made? The vast majority of which will never utilize the swap out design anyway. Future games are then limited in scope by the initial hardware choices e.g. RAM, CPU, GPU etc

There's probably points I've forgotten to add but that sums up my thoughts on it.

very good points, the old der computer tech and damage factor are considerable

Also just looking at the Heighway Alien blue limited edition pop up on my FB newsfeed raises another question. What incentive is there to spend lots of money on ltd edition trim and expensive toppers on a modular system? It makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom