What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 10 Sci-Fi Films Ever

Today will be spent downloading some of these recommendations :)
Good thinking Kev - btw my usual sources (Pirate Bay and Kickass Torrents) both seemed to be down when I tried them this week for something.

What do you guys use, and could my blockade be due to me installing the paid version of AVG along with Adblocker (since @Carl Spiby kindly cleansed my laptop of a virus a couple months back)?

Have you seen Upstream Color - the 2nd film by same writer / director ??

Its an equal mindf*ck of a film, and again very impressive stuff. Its more in the vein of a creepy Cronenberg body horror movie. Shane Carruth is such a talented guy, cant wait to see what he does next.

Good, reworked Primer trailer

Ahhh, it's still sat shrink wrapped on the shelf! Keep meaning to watch it but not yet got round to it - think I need to be in the right mind set for it! Trailer for it was great though.

Defo check out Predestination if you liked Primer. One of my fav films of this year.

Primer looks good.

OMG, how did I leave LOGAN'S RUN off my top 10? It's got Jenny Agutter naked for a start...

I AM LEGEND is easily the scariest film I have ever watched. Absolutely shat my pants. Way to eerie.

Pirate Bay? Bargain DVD shelf at the supermarket! Way easier ;) Although almost anything can be found on YouTube these days. Generally I'm happy to pay a few quid to watch via Apple Store, Amazon or Blinkbox, etc., but after watching Ex Machina on rental it took me all of 10 seconds to find it on YouTube.

Some great movies listed here. I saw Primer a few years ago from a random stumble through Netflix. Will have to watch it again with all this hype.
I'd like to add to the list

- Contact.
I like Sci-Fi with a good dose of realism. And if/when we make alien contact, I can very much imagine it going something like this. Possibly the best Jodie Foster film ever (its a short list in my book)

- Star Trek (the first one).
Superb chill out, Sunday afternoon movie. Big fan of the Trek, and I would probably rate Trek 2 (Khaaaan) over this, but still - love the chill out ambience of the first one.

- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Yes, this falls into Sci-Fi category. I usually hate ranking favourites, but I'm pretty comfortable saying this is my #1 all time film. Definitely the best Jim Carey movie (from an even shorter list)

- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Yes, this falls into Sci-Fi category. I usually hate ranking favourites, but I'm pretty comfortable saying this is my #1 all time film. Definitely the best Jim Carey movie (from an even shorter list)

Wow....maybe I should give that another chance, the only thing I remember about it is turning it off halfway through...and I rarely do that!.

1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
2. The Fifth Element
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Star Trek: First Contact
5. The Matrix
6. Star Wars IV: The Empire Strikes Back
7. Tron: Legacy
8. Back to the Future
9. The Terminator
10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Will Smith was a bad choice to play Robert Neville, the book is great but Will just doesn't fit in the role. I didn't realise there were 3 versions, I remember the Omega Man but not the other one.

Contact also nearly made my list, love the opening sequence panning out into space with the radio broadcasts getting older.

Eternal Sunshine never really thought of as sci fi but guess it is really. Great film but personally think The Truman Show is Carrey's best.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Total Recall, haven't seen it for years but used to love it, and didn't bother watching the remake.

Also think "eXinstenZ" is worth a mention, explores the idea of virtual reality gaming.

Metropolis is mind-blowing due to when it was made, but it doesn't exactly set the pulse racing.
eXinstenZ is excellent too. Need to watch that again.
Contact - "I'm ok to go! I'm ok to go!" Nice slow burner.
Thanks for the tips on I AM LEGEND. Will find the book. I thought it was the best I've ever seen Will Smith.

Also think "eXinstenZ" is worth a mention, explores the idea of virtual reality gaming.

Good call on eXistenZ.

Another film I love which is more of the 'lite' sci-fi category is 'Intacto' - really interesting ideas as to how 'luck' can be passed from one individual to another or 'won' from each other.

Just watched Primer after recommendations here, was ok. A mind **** obviously, reading an explanation online afterwards helps but ultimately its not my kind of film, nowhere near enough explosions :). I have no idea what its doing in peoples top 10 lists here, but each to their own.

OMG, how did I leave LOGAN'S RUN off my top 10? It's got Jenny Agutter naked for a start...

Huge oversight, unforgivable! Although 2001 is also my favourite.
I've got a weird respect for The Andromeda Strain too.

Here goes:
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. Flight of the Navigator
  3. Tron
  4. The Fifth Element
  5. War Games (is this Sci-Fi?)
  6. Wall-e
  7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  8. Star Trek IV
  9. Blade Runner
  10. Logan's Run

Honourable mentions:
  • The Andromeda Strain
  • Forbidden Planet
  • Weird Science
  • Tron Legacy
  • Matrix
  • Gravity (watched on a massive 3D cinema screen - probably ****e viewed at home)
  • Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie
  • Star Trek I
  • The Terminator
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (borderline Sci-Fi).
  • The Last Starfighter
  • Moon
  • Back The Future Trilogy
  • Donnie Darko

Stinkers:
  • Matrix 2

On my list to watch still:
  • Interstellar
  • The Martian
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Ex-Machina
  • Primer
  • Ant Man

I rather enjoyed the TOTAL RECALL remake. Like the old one with Arnie too but looking very dated.

I got a thing for all those old 70s/80s sci-fi films like The Andromeda Strain, Soylent Green, Silent Running, The Last Starfighter, etc. They're all Sunday afternoon with my Dad to me :)

Matrix 2 and 3 are ok, but they fall short of what made the first one so good.

I enjoyed Gravity. I just had to leave the astrophysicist in me to one side and forget all the scientific flaws.

I rather enjoyed the TOTAL RECALL remake. Like the old one with Arnie too but looking very dated.

I quite liked the new Total Recall as well, it was pretty enjoyable. The one thing that did make me laugh though and think "Okay, now you're just being cheap on props." was they get a Toronto subway train, slapped the Underground logo's on it and suddenly it was a London Underground train? Yeah guys it doesn't work like that and looks stupid.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Event Horizon or The day the earth stood still (Original)... :eek:

Event Horizon made me sweat... Good call though I'd list it in my 'horror' list.

Watched Cloud Atlas last night. Straight into my top films. Loved it.

There's so many good sci-fi films out there that I'd just forgotten about.

Watched Ex Machina last night. Enjoyed it but not quite top 10. (and lesson learnt, don't trust women ;))

Also how about Judge Dredd and Independence Day....! :thumbs:

Oh and what's the name of the one that is the last bit of green earth floating round in space with the robots? :hmm:

Watched Babylon AD last night and there was Pitch Black on last week... Plus the sequel The Chronicles of Riddick...! :cool:

Also enjoyed AI, even though it was panned by the critics. And I, Robot.

Back
Top Bottom