What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Top 10 Sci-Fi Films Ever

Nedreud

Registered
Just because I'm curious and because I couldn't disagree more with the list on Rotten Tomatoes, what are your Top 10 Sci-Fi films?
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. TRON
  3. The Black Hole
  4. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  5. Aliens
  6. Forbidden Planet
  7. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
  8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  9. District 9
  10. Cloverfield
Damn that was hard to do! I'll probably change my mind as there are at least another 30 films I could put in my top 10!

Reactions: JT.
1. Primer
2. Blade runner
3. Aliens
4. Return of the Jedi (soft spot for ewoks...)
5. Wrath of Kahn
6. Predestination
7. 12 monkeys
8. Dark city
9. Fifth element
10. Strange Days

In no particular order and will likely change tomorrow...

1. The Matrix
2. Blade Runner
3. Alien
4. Donnie Darko
5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
6. Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
7. Star Wars A New Hope
8. ET
9. Terminator 2
10. Inception

Not sure about a top 10, but Ex Machina (2015) is brilliant -you can just watch and enjoy, or alternatively, it's a real thinking film about feminism. Loved it. ET: haven't even got 30 mins in to that. Star Wars is my favourite film of all time - all my pets are named after Star Wars characters (I just got a text from my vets telling me that Master Obi Wan Kenobi is due to have a worm treatment) but not sure if that counts as real Sci-Fi. Love the Alien trilogy too.

Never even heard of Primer am I missing something good here? Haven't seen Ex-Machina yet either it's on my to-do list

Never even heard of Primer am I missing something good here? Haven't seen Ex-Machina yet either it's on my to-do list
Absolutely seek it out! Though you'll need a notebook to work it out ;)

There's entire web pages that look to explain the time travel theory behind the film.

Mind bendingly good

Oh this is hard, in no particular order...

Star Wars saga,
Alien saga,
Space hunter,
Terminator 1 & 2,
Lucy,
Westworld,
Tron legacy,
Fifth element,
Predator 1 & 2,
Promethious,

And loads more

There's entire web pages that look to explain the time travel theory behind the film.

Mind bendingly good

Same with Ex Machina. It's worth watching as a good film in and of itself. But reading about what it means afterwards, because it does leave questions to be answered, is good too. For me, that's what the genre sci-fi means - asking some philosophical questions too that leave you with something to think about. The Mind Dimensions series of books by Dima Zales & Anna Zaires are well worth a read too. The first book which just sets the scene (it's less than 50 pages I think) is free on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Stoppe...443816669&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Thought+Readers) but then the rest get better and better. They're a time-filling read on their own, but also have a few underlying things to think about as well.

Total Recall
Minority Report
Donnie Darko
Planet of the Apes (the original)
The Matrix
Flash Gordon
Moon
Strange Science
Ghostbusters

Hmmm tricky, in no order.....

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Robocop
Aliens
Fifth Element
Akira
Total Recall
Pacific Rim
Predator

But also....

Ghostbusters
Ghost in the Shell
The Thing
Terminator 2

and probably loads more that I can't remember at the moment :D

Hmmm tricky, in no order.....

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Robocop
Aliens
Fifth Element
Akira
Total Recall
Pacific Rim
Predator

But also....

Ghostbusters
Ghost in the Shell
The Thing
Terminator 2

and probably loads more that I can't remember at the moment :D

Ghost in the shell rocks!

So many in your list I couldn't think of when I did mine lol

I didn't mind the remake it could of just been better. The fact that all studios like to make all films family friendly is what ruins most. The original robocop was an 18 think the remake is a pg or bleddy 12

Ooh! #1 on your list and I've never heard of it! Will see it out soon...

The Matrix
Excellent choice. The green tinge and bullet time alone set this film apart but it awesome all over.

Donnie Darko
I must watch this again!

Ex Machina
Saw this recently. Very good. Need to watch again a couple of times before it could possibly make my Top. 10.

Westworld
Total. Classic.

Tron legacy
Saw this at IMAX. Never been so excited to see a film and I thought it was awesome. It can't better the original as that is ingrained into my childhood psyche but still very very good. Music by Daft Punk and Quorra... :)

Fifth element
Mila Jojovic. Slurp ;)

Oh this is hard, in no particular order...
Cheat! C'mon man up. Put 'em in order!

Flash Gordon
Moon
Love Flash Gordon. Sunday afternoons with my Dad who also loves sci-fi. Black Hole. Fantastic Voyage. Ray Harrihausen.

Pacific Rim
Took me ages to get around to seeing this. Surprisingly good.

Forgot about Robocop absolute quality shame the remake was ****e.
I thought the remake was pretty good. Slick. Different take. Love the cheesiness of the original though. 20 seconds to comply...

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments. This has reminded me of films I want to see again and some I've never heard of. Excellent!

The Matrix, Aliens, Terminator 2, Westworld! (Forgotten about that, really excellent) all beaten hands down by Blade Runner.

But here's a movie I guess no one will vote for except me: Doom

12 Monkeys
Aliens
T2
Remember enjoying A Boy and His Dog but possibly it's a **** film in hindsight and I just watched it at the right age for me.

For me it's far more about post-apocalypse stuff. Does it fall into SF or horror?
28 days later
I am legend (despite the Hollywood ending)
Book of Eli

What about

Back to the future
Jurassic Park

Personally I don't think of them as science fiction but technically they both are

Never liked the Star Wars films. Went to see SW when I was 8 or 9 and remember thinking it was OK. Caught some of TESB on TV, Never made it all the way through ROTJ. Don't think I've seen any of the last 3

Went to see Avatar in the cinema and really didn't get what the fuss was about. Reminded me of a (far) longer version of Dances With Wolves but set in space

If you had to guess about my personality from films I watch I think I'd be in the same category as 14 year old girls. Love a good Drew Barrymore movie (yup, even watched Blended a couple of times) and enjoy a musical or two (Evita and Hair regularly get stuck on). Think I need to leave my man card at the door.

Worst movie experience of all time for me was taking my daughter to see one of the recent tinkerbell films. Only bloke in a theatre full of little girls dressed up in fairy costumes.

Mind bendingly good

Have you seen Upstream Color - the 2nd film by same writer / director ??

Its an equal mindf*ck of a film, and again very impressive stuff. Its more in the vein of a creepy Cronenberg body horror movie. Shane Carruth is such a talented guy, cant wait to see what he does next.

Good, reworked Primer trailer

Back
Top Bottom