What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Stern's obsession with 'guitar-based music or various rock genres'?

It’s not rocket science. Popularity and demographics.

Taylor Swift might be one of the current largest music acts around but her fan base is never going to buy a pinball in sufficient numbers.

On the flip side of the coin x% of old guys with the disposable income needed like/remember rock bands.

My daughter loves truly dreadful rap/drill music but that demographics are never going to buy pins.

More interesting in the rock / computer game cross over. A far younger demographic spread across a wide range of music tastes.

They won't make a Taylor Swift pinball because 20 year old women don't buy $10,000 pinball machines.

Pinball themes are always going to be targeted at their main demographic, 40-60 year old men. 70s & 80s movies and bands. Chuck in a couple of superhero pins to appeal on location and to pin buyers kids

It’s not rocket science. Popularity and demographics.

Taylor Swift might be one of the current largest music acts around but her fan base is never going to buy a pinball in sufficient numbers.

On the flip side of the coin x% of old guys with the disposable income needed like/remember rock bands.

My daughter loves truly dreadful rap/drill music but that demographics are never going to buy pins.

More interesting in the rock / computer game cross over. A far younger demographic spread across a wide range of music tastes.

I posted my post without seeing yours, but we've effectively said the same thing 😂

Can I please just point out that my Taylor Swift comment was tongue in cheek. It wasn't serious and I certainly didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.

Of course they're not going to make a 'Swifty' pinball machine . . . there was genuine anger at the EJ announcement, can you imagine the Taylor Swift teaser trailer? 😂😂😂

I was serious about a dance music theme though . . . there were a lot of people raving in the 90's.

Can I please just point out that my Taylor Swift comment was tongue in cheek. It wasn't serious and I certainly didn't expect anyone to take it seriously.

Of course they're not going to make a 'Swifty' pinball machine . . . there was genuine anger at the EJ announcement, can you imagine the Taylor Swift teaser trailer? 😂😂😂

I was serious about a dance music theme though . . . there were a lot of people raving in the 90's.

Rave was more a UK phenomenon though wasn't it? And we are a minority market for pinball

Never under estimate the power of 'the swift'. One of ( if not the ) highest grossing artists of all time.

I can't believe they are looking at Pokemon, but it's looking like it's happening.

Agree with you on Pokémon, certainly feels like stern are losing their way a bit at present, especially when you consider the behemoths titles coming down the road from other manufacturers

Rave was more a UK phenomenon though wasn't it? And we are a minority market for pinball

Rave yes, probably mate. But rap is huge in the States (overseas sales for Stern are 40% btw).

Look, I'm not doubting the demographic for music pins and I actually like Aerosmith, G&R and Led Zeppelin's music. I fully understand why Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, KISS and the like were made. I'm fully expecting Black Sabbath, Def Lepard and Motorhead etc to be a consideration.

All I'm asking is for perhaps 1 in 10 machines to vary with a rap theme or something with a dance beat. A bit like the vegan section on the menu at a restaurant 😂

I'm quite sure I'm in the minority and the Sabbath LE would be far more welcome . . . However, it would be nice to have just one music pin that I was tempted to buy.

I mean . . . come on . . . would Boyzone pinball really be that bad?

All I'm asking is for perhaps 1 in 10 machines to vary with a rap theme or something with a dance beat. A bit like the vegan section on the menu at a restaurant 😂

I'm quite sure I'm in the minority and the Sabbath LE would be far more welcome . . . However, it would be nice to have just one music pin that I was tempted to buy.

I mean . . . come on . . . would Boyzone pinball really be that bad?
What he said☝️

It's not like dance or rap is a niche musical taste in the world in general.

Last edited:
Never going to be a Motörhead pin sadly. They simply didn’t sell in America. The image for the Ace of Spades album allegedly bombed over there due to the Mexican look 🤷‍♂️

Ultimately, the only things that will get made are for the franchises they can afford to licence. So the dream themes are out, and what they are willing to pay for and can access are in. This unfortunately means it's old and tired ideas that currently aren't worth much and only live on in the nostalgic minds of old farts !!!! ( like me :D ).

Ultimately, the only things that will get made are for the franchises they can afford to licence. So the dream themes are out, and what they are willing to pay for and can access are in. This unfortunately means it's old and tired ideas that currently aren't worth much and only live on in the nostalgic minds of old farts !!!! ( like me :D ).
Does anyone know whether there's a difference between the costs of licensing Sean Connery-era Bond versus, say, Skyfall? I don't know much about licensing.

Bond is obviously a huge theme and Stern managed to license that.

Does anyone know whether there's a difference between the costs of licensing Sean Connery-era Bond versus, say, Skyfall? I don't know much about licensing.

The Bond licence owners would love to generate the income some of these stars make, like I said, tired theme for nostalgic old farts ! Maybe they know it's on the way out and sell it cheap ?? I'd debate on what they got as a 'secured' investment though.

I've got an interview with Jersey Jack which I'll edit this weekend. I had a really good chat with him about licensing and Bond was discussed (he originally had the licence).

I can't quite remember what was in the interview and what was private conversation until I re-watch it so won't go into detail here. But, I was certainly amazed to hear various anecdotes about various licensees and the differences between them. I certainly had a lot more sympathy for Stern not getting Brody on Jaws after the conversation.

I'll put some context behind this for you Vee, this is the reported return for TRON, which I think was at the time a well received game and theme. They managed to get a 'good' deal for what was in it.

Now have a look at what Swifty generates and convince me she'd even answer the phone when Gary Stern would try to access her ( ooooer ).!! :D That's just for the movie footage of the tour alone. The ticket sales grossed over $1Billion !!!

That's before you even look into what the music itself earns along with the endorsements. Bond, pah, step aside, peanuts in comparison.

There's more chance of getting Judas Priest unfortunately, that's why we are where we are.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.26.15.pngScreenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.35.46.png

Last edited:
Those questioning Pokémon, it makes perfect sense when you consider it is the highest grossing and most profitable media brand/franchise of all time.

It makes Star Wars, MCU, Harry Potter and other big named franchises look like chump change.

All Stern would need to do is get a few distributors in Japan, China etc and the theme would print money for them money.

Last edited:
Not sure they'd get much more than this lot based on what Stern are willing to pay :rofl:

View attachment 242644
Pokémon is a beast all on its own, the high end collectors in Pokémon are like no other.

They will spend on a single card or soft toy plushie what we spend on a pinball machine. Limited edition Pokémon themed consoles (usually Nintendo consoles) sell for thousands.

If Stern can market it right and get into the Japanese and Chinese markets they could drop a few extremely limited versions for silly money.

Add in a Pokédex feature linked to locations and timed achievements using IC to “collect them all” and people would go nuts for it,

Last edited:
Pokémon is a beast all on its own, the high end collectors in Pokémon are like no other.

They will spend on a single card or soft toy plushie what we spend on a pinball machine. Limited edition Pokémon themed consoles (usually Nintendo consoles) sell for thousands.
You gotta catch ‘em all… :cool:

If Stern can market it right and get into the Japanese and Chinese markets they could drop a few extremely limited versions for silly money!
Gross returns are huge for this franchise, they won't sell cheap to make a pittance from Stern. Agree it's a cow waiting to be milked in terms of income, but will it end up another Toy Story 4 ??

If it does, the Pokemon crew won't go near it.

They've tried the Limited High Value route with Bond 60th and got burnt, not sure they'll risk it again ??

Gross returns are huge for this franchise, they won't sell cheap to make a pittance from Stern. Agree it's a cow waiting to be milked in terms of income, but will it end up another Toy Story 4 ??

If it does, the Pokemon crew won't go near it.
Yeah, it needs to have Charmander, Pikachu, Squirtle, Psyduck… the classics.

Not Nacli, Exeggutor, Makuhita and Diglett…

Yeah, it needs to have Charmander, Pikachu, Squirtle, Psyduck… the classics.

Not Nacli, Exeggutor, Makuhita and Diglett…

Hey why isn't Diglett a classic? He was my favourite when I was young. He's not new 😄

Back
Top Bottom