What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Stern's obsession with 'guitar-based music or various rock genres'?

Pinball benefits from ramped up energy moments and large stage rock/metal bands do that well. As a musical genre, it is still massively prevalent in movies to do just that.

But I would have loved a Prodigy pin but not sure the band were fans of pinball.

Pinball benefits from ramped up energy moments and large stage rock/metal bands do that well. As a musical genre, it is still massively prevalent in movies to do just that.

But I would have loved a Prodigy pin but not sure the band were fans of pinball.
Two of my pals play with them now (guitarist and drummer).

I know the guitarist loves pinball as he always plays when he is at the studios (where my workshop is).

Prodigy do cross over to a rock band, but have a wide appeal.

Would be a great theme for a pinball in my opinion.

I bought 2 pins for the music AC/DC prem and GnR ce. However both are long gone as the layouts and code didnā€™t keep my attention.

I then bought IM prem NIB for the layout and code on the back of the Elwin hype train. I wasnā€™t familiar with the music which grew on me, but I found it hellish frustrating to shoot and had non stop issues with the newton ball. Long gone.

Then while at NLP I played Metallica pro and absolutely loved the layout and code.
Iā€™d never once listened to the band unless it was in the background on the radio.

I now consider it the best music pin Iā€™ve ever owned/played and now even enjoy their music! Win win and keeper.

Canā€™t wait to play Elton after the great feedback here.

I think itā€™s a fairly-narrow subset of rock, though, and Iā€™m trying to steer the discussion away from defining the words for that sub-category and towards pinball! ā˜ŗļø
Ah yeah, not getting into dividing up bands into sub-genres or anything

I really think its a correlation between the demographic who buy pinballs and the demographic who like guitar rock aligning perfectly, also the nostalgic aspect, looking back to a time when these bands were cool and edgy and pretending they still are too.

I really think its a correlation between the demographic who buy pinballs and the demographic who like guitar rock aligning perfectly, also the nostalgic aspect, looking back to a time when these bands were cool and edgy and pretending they still are too.
Well, itā€˜s definitely not about the relative energy level of the musicā€¦

I did do a quick Google of the history just now, and heavy metal/hard rock/guitar rock apparently emerged in the 60s/70s at the same time as hip-hop/rap.

Last edited:
Again, hip-hop was not filling stadiums like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the 60ā€™s, 70ā€™s or even 80ā€™s.
Folks do not have to like the music but at least appreciate how big it is.

Itā€˜s definitely not about the energy level of musicā€¦

I did do a quick Google of the history just now, and heavy metal/hard rock/guitar rock apparently emerged in the 60s/70s at the same time as hip-hop/rap.
Thats brilliant, If only I knew how to work pinball browser :)

I love the ethos of hip hop, taking their parents records, chopping up the breakbeats and creating a new Genre, I'm not sure its popular with the US dudes who buy all the games though.

I think its a symptom of most games going into homes, I dare say a hip-hop theme would kill it on location.

I think they play it safe too much when it comes to themes, Sci-Fi/superhero/rock sums up about 80% of modern games.

That's why I've always felt dance music/rave would be a good fit. Classic buildups and drops suit pinball perfectly. Why no ones gone there after TNA is beyond me.

If only they had used this in Apollo 13 šŸš€

Whack your speakers up, close your eyes and imagine the experience

BOOM !

That isnā€™t a list of heavy metal bands. It is a list of bands and some of them can be described as heavy metal.
Also, they are masssive stage acts who have had a large following and been established for a long period of time. Due to which, middle aged folks with money and space are also interested in spending money.
Think Geof has answered your question in post 6.

Back
Top Bottom