What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where have all the pins gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a week for a pin? (If you’re not ill). That suggests playing pinball is a habit. Anything less than that, it’s an overpriced decoration.

Yes, they’re in a pile ready to be auctioned straight after Xmas 😈
I must have 30k of decorations I never play then

But having all them classics locked away brings the room together 🤣

I’m 100% a collector and don’t care I don’t play all my machines. I know for a fact if I didn’t buy those machines when I did I’d never get the chance to buy them again and I’m buying for long term enjoyment

Also I’m getting burnt on top of mine Viking style taking mine to Valhalla with me

Nah twas a joke I have a few already along with all the other crap I hoard.
It was at my mum’s house, who is a total hoarder (I keep going around to her house and throwing out my childhood toys, and she keeps rescuing them). I bought it to mine incase my older son wanted to play it, but he’s not interested, so it’s now leaving. Has mild sentimental value because one of my primary school friends (who was a talented artist) painted all the pieces for 5p a model, but not enough to keep it when it’s unplayed.

Does this apply to other forms of entertainment too? If I have a blu-ray I haven’t watched in the past seven days is that just decoration too? How about a video game? A book?

Yes, if it takes up space. All our books are on Kindle. Any Switch games that don’t get played get sold.

I sure do hope you’re finding the time to play all the ones you’re keeping at least once per week.
The pins are getting played daily by at least two people (when I’m well enough to play pinball). More when the babysitter brings her kids here. Even my mum got in a game of JP2 the other day. This is, incidentally, why vintage pins have a rep for breaking down shortly after entering the house…
I’m 100% a collector and don’t care I don’t play all my machines. I know for a fact if I didn’t buy those machines when I did I’d never get the chance to buy them again and I’m buying for long term enjoyment
Why? Why do you want them if you don’t want to play them? Why not collect pencil erasers? Or Toby jugs? Why pinball machines? I’m not being funny. I’m genuinely perplexed.

Do you want one? I have a squashed one that I’m waiting to shift. They used to be pretty valuable, but Hasbro have remade it.

The point is that you won’t be the same. The whole deal with ‘the American dream’ (and the British one) is the idea that, if you work hard, one day you too can own a £4.6 million house. The problem is that, due to a combination of historical government policy (largely) and other stuff, there are now people who have made more money in unearned housing wealth than most people can earn in a lifetime, and those people can pass that money straight onto their children - who, subsequently, barely need to work because of the vast mismatch between housing, and other types, of wealth.

I’ve already met people whose parents have sold a multimillion pound house, bought a one-bedroom flat with the proceeds, and their unmarried child - living in that flat - is now working two days a week as a creative writing lecturer to pay for food. Can anyone do that? No, of course not. It’s a breach of the social contract whereby you gain the proceeds of working hard.

There have been periods in history where there was limited social mobility, and the social mobility there was depended on property wealth. If you read the beginning of Pride and Prejudice, it’s there on page two. Needless to say, neither this book, or similar books of the period are centred around farm workers, governesses and labourers remarking on how it’s fine that a gentleman of large fortune has four to five thousand a year because, if they work hard, that’s a 100% achievable dream.

So they should be able to pass it on to their children. I'd love the peace of mind knowing mine would be okay in the events of me snuffing it.

The rest is down to parenting. Even if I had millions in the bank I'd still ensure my kids got jobs and weren't entitled. All starts with the paper round and learning the value of money imo. Instil a bit of drive and determination and people should have a chance irrespective of handouts.

I've not earned any significant sums of money yet but being able to bequeath it to my kids is massive motivation to do so.

So they should be able to pass it on to their children. I'd love the peace of mind knowing mine would be okay in the events of me snuffing it.

The rest is down to parenting. Even if I had millions in the bank I'd still ensure my kids got jobs and weren't entitled. All starts with the paper round and learning the value of money imo. Instil a bit of drive and determination and people should have a chance irrespective of handouts.

I've not earned any significant sums of money yet but being able to bequeath it to my kids is massive motivation to do so.
Yes, but there’s a level of inequality where - regardless of how hard you work and how hard your children work - you can never earn enough to pass on a worthwhile amount to your kids. The system is simply rigged against you, regardless of what you do.

To take an extreme example, I’ve spoken to loads of Nigerian immigrants here in the UK. You can literally be a top lawyer or engineer in Nigeria and the cost of paying for public services and infrastructure, which you get for free in Britain, is so high that that’s *all* your money. There are people in the Nigerian upper-middle class who have to physically collect water from a well because the indoor plumbing doesn’t work, even though they have big houses/servants, and most of their income goes on servicing electricity/education/dentistry/basic hospital visits. The *only* way to make things better for their kids is to try to emigrate to Europe/the USA.

In contrast, the richest Nigerians own houses on Millionaire’s Row in Hampstead (alongside houses in several other countries) with a different wife/mistress in each house/country, and six nannies - each speaking a different language in a single house, all competing for the attention of one kid (true story).

We’re not there here (yet) in the UK, in terms of inequality, but that’s the consequence of “if I was this privileged I would be happy, so go for it” with no government intervention whatsoever. You have to make a token effort to level the playfield - otherwise, people cheat at the game.

Of course the system in stacked. it always was. Slavery was replaced with work/job/profession. Money is carefully controlled and restricted to keep the majority enslaved. Wars and other 'natural' (or not) disasters are created to quickly re-grab money (as well as the fear factor to keep the sheep in-line) when the reigns have been over-slackened. The rest of the time, taxes do a pretty good job, helped by positive interest rates and huge personal debt. Most governments are likewise enslaved with little real power to break the status quo. Conspiracy theory 101.

Of course the system in stacked. it always was. Slavery was replaced with work/job/profession. Money is carefully controlled and restricted to keep the majority enslaved. Wars and other 'natural' (or not) disasters are created to quickly re-grab money (as well as the fear factor to keep the sheep in-line) when the reigns have been over-slackened. The rest of the time, taxes do a pretty good job, helped by positive interest rates and huge personal debt. Most governments are likewise enslaved with little real power to break the status quo. Conspiracy theory 101.
Well, this is the first time boringly-ordinary centre-left liberalism has been described as a conspiracy theory.

I’ll see myself out (tinfoil hat optional) 🤣

Why can’t things stick to pinball before things go “conspiracy theory “

But I still believe if you work hard and make good life choices then you will be able to have a decent life and maybe leave a helping hand to you children.
I don’t feel entitled to anything and have actively rejected financial help at times because I know I can do it under my own steam and to me, that feels so much better!

Anyway, what happened to CGC??
Had a message saying remakes are going to be made in Italy??

The mid 20th century (with house ownership, 2 cars, holidays etc) for the average worker was an exception rather than a permanent move towards increased living standards.
Its strange how carers, shop workers, delivery drivers etc, basically all the people who have 'jobs' rather than 'careers' who have been sneeringly left behind were suddenly deemed essential during the pandemic.

The professionals in the UKs circular city economy, where we all sell financial products to each other are next, the move to AI will be swift and devastating to anyone who relies on knowledge or thinking to make a living.
We are heading back to a feudal state and no politician of any colour rosette has an answer.

@VeeMonroe by your logic, I should have sold Road Show, my favourite game ever within the first year of ownership 🥺
Yeah, but was there an explanation, e.g. you were in the middle of building a specific room to house the pins? I’m talking about:

a) you walk into a room, a pin is there and you don’t have any desire to play it;
b) It’s folded up in a lockup and you have a plan to restore it ‘one day’, but that day hasn’t happened for ten years and - thus - isn’t likely to…
c) You have ten pins in your garage, but none of them work and you don’t have a plan to restore them.

I’m just getting all Marie Kondo on this… 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, but was there an explanation, e.g. you were in the middle of building a specific room to house the pins?
Nope.

I often go weeks without playing Roadshow. Then I'll play it multiple times a week, even when I've got home from work late at night 😄

I like knowing Roadshow is there for me, when I'm down I'll spend some time with Ted 😍

I spend more time fiddling with games than playing them. I play more when I have company or I'm obsessing over one particular game.

I'd be surprised if most people on this forum play each of their games every week. You're saying they shouldn't own any at all if going by your logic.

Why? Why do you want them if you don’t want to play them? Why not collect pencil erasers? Or Toby jugs? Why pinball machines? I’m not being funny. I’m genuinely perplexed.

Just don't have the time to play them, I happily know they are there and when the day presents itself I'll workshop them and play them...

doesn't matter if its next week or in 20 years time, the knowing I have those cherished games is enough

Ultimately there is not a pin you can't get hold of if you really want it. This thread like the majority of the threads on this forum is pointless dribble and people are only replying to wind someone up...

All my keepers I went further a field to get them cause I wanted them... Germany, Italy, France, Belgium, Spain...

If you want a machine think out the box, check foreign markets... its not hard

Last edited:
So it's OK to horde stuff as long as its not pins. OK.
I worked for these, I play when I want to. I am sat next to a Fathom that I rarely turn on. My choice, my games.

And please everyone keep politics off this forum, I believe its in the t&c.

AI is coming for us!!! :D I’m gonna swap trades and become a plumber or electrician!

So it's OK to horde stuff as long as its not pins. OK.

It's okay to hoard stuff that doesn't have a finite and permanent supply. Passive collectors are bad for all hobbies for the Dog in the Manger principle. No one ever decided to collect pinball machines without playing one, and people who collect pinball machines that they don't play - or let anyone else play - damage the aspects of the hobby that *are* about playing because there's a finite supply of old pins.

Obviously, if people want to collect currently-in-production Spike 2 Sterns, etc. that's different - because it's encouraging Stern to make more pins.

If all classic pins belonged to collectors who never switched them on or offered them for tournament/onsite play, an important aspect of the hobby would be lost. I'm sorry that idea seems to p**s some people off. Most of the regular posters on this forum, however, probably don't add to the problem because if you're regularly active on a pinball forum, enough to argue with randos, you're probably interested enough to play.

Why not accept people get different things out of the hobby?
Not everyone is the same as you and there's no right or wrong
You're now having an argument with the person standing behind me (who has his own account, but doesn't post on it). I's not whether it's right and wrong. It's whether it's harmful or beneficial. I tend to use the expression 'pro-social'.

There are things that people do that they're perfectly entitled to do, which are wholly legal, and which the government shouldn't ban (i.e. the communism comments)... but, which, nonetheless, are anti-social. I could understand it if you were defending people who spend a lot of time restoring pinball machines, instead of playing them, but that doesn't seem to be the argument that's happening here.

You're now having an argument with the person standing behind me (who has his own account, but doesn't post on it). I's not whether it's right and wrong. It's whether it's harmful or beneficial. I tend to use the expression 'pro-social'.

There are things that people do that they're perfectly entitled to do, which are wholly legal, and which the government shouldn't ban (i.e. the communism comments)... but, which, nonetheless, are anti-social. I could understand it if you were defending people who spend a lot of time restoring pinball machines, instead of playing them, but that doesn't seem to be the argument that's happening here.

Still, this is just your opinion of how the hobby should be, from your perspective, because of your experiences.

If I had more room I'd have as many games as I could fit in it, because I love pinball, even if it's just admiring them and having a regular competition.

Sometimes I don’t play my pins for weeks at a time … when I’m feeling really naughty il turn some of them on… pop a brew on a sip it while sitting back admiring them … then il pop my cup in the dishwasher then turn the pin off without even playing them .

Them of course are days when I’m really out of hand and feeling crazy

I’m Paul, 43 from Burnley and I’m hoarding 26 pins like a f@&king boss!

😎

Think I’ve got three of the pins Vee has posted wanted ads for and probably haven’t turned any of them on since July. 😂

I can easily go for 18 months without playing a specific game.

Even worse I’ve currently got two tombstoned.

Oh well.

I'm not sure there's many people miserly hoarding pins for years on end, I would think most people who have games stored away are waiting for time/space/life to allow them to enjoy them.

Sometimes its nice just to look at the artwork, or spend time online learning the rules, watching videos of technique, learning more about the mechanics. I don't think a game has to be 'on' to enjoy owning it.

That being said its a great feeling to share pinball with others, especially younger people who may not have ever had a chance to experience it, if someone does have a game spare, perhaps consider lending it to a mate, taking into work, village hall or something, the more people supporting the hobby the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom