What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What were you doing 'in pinball' 10 years ago ?

I was 19 and my best mates old man had just gone through a divorce. During the midlife crisis which followed he bought a DESW a WCS and a jukebox. He managed to keep the house and turned the dining room into a games room with a bar. Me and my mates pretty much used to live there, top bloke.
Luckily it didn't take me a divorce and a midlife crisis to get my first pin! :D

Was about 10 years ago I went to Ibiza. Hotel had a TOM in the bar area. Put some good coin in that. Got off the plane home and got to work finding me a pin!
Probably more like 8 actually.

About 10 years ago, I was selling up for the first time, getting out of Pinball and going off to University. Sold the whole collection off, about 20 games and only kept Roadshow, Creature and Baracorra. That was really my last thoughts of Pin for the next 6 years. Then I moved back to Bristol, went to a SW league meet for the first time and within a year was back up over 20 machines! It's an addiction

Ten years ago there was hardly any pinball for me. I was living in Camden so there was always the one in the Electric Ballroom with the bouncy floor. Apart from that there were still pins in the arcade in the Trocadero. But apart from those ones (and Wardour St) there was really nothing left. I thought it was almost dead.

This was a time still 5 years before my first pin of my very own. Back then my hobbies were mycology and dope. And telly, hours and hours of telly. I don't miss any of those things now.

10 Years ago, I bought my first pinball machine off ebay. A Gottlieb Stargate for the astronomical sum of £300, When it arrived I was chuffed to bits. A few months later it started playing up so I swapped it for a TOM and I think 600, which I bought off a guy somewhere near Brighton. That was the start. I always remember he played and traded machines and had a load in his garage , CV , RFM , SS , Monopoly. If I had known what I know now I would have just bought them all there and then, would have saved a lot of time and money,

Steve Pagett put this on FB today:

"was this really 26 years ago! ATEI trade show Earls Court 1989.
best game at that show was Taxi! as had played Banzai before when Associated Leisure had one in their showroom in Burton on Trent"
Pagett 26 y ago.jpg

@steve brum, sorry i suggested you were him, you can see why i made the mistake though - both active 25+ years, both Steves from Brum

we are him. i was late joning pinball info as just never got round to it

clare was a very good player. she hussled a few guys in the student union bar who thought ladies cant play lol

we are him. i was late joning pinball info as just never got round to it

clare was a very good player. she hussled a few guys in the student union bar who thought ladies cant play lol

Lol - Welcome Steve - Took your time getting here ;)

Don't think I replied before so here goes:

Had just moved house and was looking into getting the garage converted to house more pins. Had recently been to my first European comp in Germany with around 10 others, was a really fun trip and first time I saw anyone cradling a ball during multiball! Hadn't really ever thought of doing that before.

My main interest at that time was vids rather than pins, went to US in summer 2007 and 2008 to try to set some scores for classic vids but the European comp and hosting the first ever league meet around end Jan 2007 helped to change that so I ended up more or less doubling my collection of pins (5) by end of that year and never looked back since.

Vid collection has around halved since to make space for more pins, along with addition of a cabin in the garden and hardly play the vids much these days!

Cheers
Greg

Don't think I replied before so here goes:

Had just moved house and was looking into getting the garage converted to house more pins. Had recently been to my first European comp in Germany with around 10 others, was a really fun trip and first time I saw anyone cradling a ball during multiball! Hadn't really ever thought of doing that before.

My main interest at that time was vids rather than pins, went to US in summer 2007 and 2008 to try to set some scores for classic vids but the European comp and hosting the first ever league meet around end Jan 2007 helped to change that so I ended up more or less doubling my collection of pins (5) by end of that year and never looked back since.

Vid collection has around halved since to make space for more pins, along with addition of a cabin in the garden and hardly play the vids much these days!

Cheers
Greg
Picking up pinball at good price compare to now And meeting people who no longer in the hobby now has well, still enjoying it but for how much longer for !

Halfway through a 10 stretch for murdering my first wife because she wouldn't let me have a pin in the house, now married again and owning a pin...
All's well........... :clap:

Dunno if I'll ever get 2 pins in tho??? Was murder getting to own one.. :thumbs:

About 10 years ago, I was selling up for the first time, getting out of Pinball and going off to University. Sold the whole collection off, about 20 games and only kept Roadshow, Creature and Baracorra. That was really my last thoughts of Pin for the next 6 years. Then I moved back to Bristol, went to a SW league meet for the first time and within a year was back up over 20 machines! It's an addiction

I remember buying your sample game CV around then. At the time, it was the most i had ever spent on a pin. A great moment for me owning that thing. Should never have sold it. :(

Had one pin, my TAF. In storage as I was working abroad for a couple of years.

I did not even realise back then that tournaments, leagues, shows ... existed.

I had been slowly hoarding spares as they came up for sale on eBay

I remember buying your sample game CV around then. At the time, it was the most i had ever spent on a pin. A great moment for me owning that thing. Should never have sold it. :(

That's right mate. I had 2 sample CV's, sold them both within about a month of each other. Should never have sold either of them!

Bought my first game, a Sf2 for £350

Worked out that in the 10years since I've had 27machines worth around £60k. Usually one in, one out

Competing in the Northern League (with a modicum of success too !).

Probably owned a couple of pins though no idea what they were.

I was in my late 30's in a ****ty marriage, dreaming of having a machine in the house but she wouldn't hear of it.

10years and a divorce that cost over £500,000, I'm newly married and have 14 pin tables in my office (had a bunch at home too).

Back
Top Bottom