What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What were you doing 'in pinball' 10 years ago ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Was just thinking about this - a decade ago I just had my first 2 machines ...Tommy and Earthshaker. I was probably looking forward to the Margate Pinball Extravaganza (April 2005) , which would be my first proper pinball show. I can remember meeting Nick Pins Anon there for the first time, and also Martin Ayub.

The UK Pinball Show started up later that year iirc. I took Tommy along for its first show outing and I think it was post that show that things started to get out of hand and ' more machines than space ' reared its ugly head for the first time :rofl:

Of course I won't still be into pinball in another 10 years. Please god no . Make it stop. :cuckoo: :D

Last edited:
Playing Pins on site, thinking I was the only person in the country still doing so. Little did I know!

10 years ago I hadn't thought about pinball for quite some time. Probably 5 years plus since I had even played a game.

Not sure how the **** I ended up here actually now that I think about it! :eek:

10 years ago pinball was just a speck on the horizon, maybe even outer space, and wish it still was as it has cost me a s**t load of money since I got into this hobby :eek:

10 years ago it hadn't even occurred to me that it was possible to own one, I'd only played a real machine once in my life and spend the majority of the time on virtual pinball.

10 years ago I had FT and TAF in my garage both non working and getting no attention. And I wouldn't give them a second glance for the next 8 years! (And though it's hard to believe 2013 was the first time I played a Stern machine!).

I had my swords of fury,which i still have, and was blissfully unaware of dmd`s

There was pinball 10 years ago?
Same, after they all left the usual places you'd find them, until attending Play Expo in 2012 I hadn't seen any in person probably since the very late 90's.

It's been a slippery slope since :)

Grizz, wasn't I selling you a FT about 10 years ago (from memory it was a bit rough). I had my first pinball in 1998 but didn't start "collecting" until about 10 or 11 years later. Remember the first Margate show as I took the wife and she winged about the weather all weekend (a bit cold, windy and wet from memory)

Grizz, wasn't I selling you a FT about 10 years ago (from memory it was a bit rough). I had my first pinball in 1998 but didn't start "collecting" until about 10 or 11 years later. Remember the first Margate show as I took the wife and she winged about the weather all weekend (a bit cold, windy and wet from memory)

Oh yeah. Maybe. Was around then. And yes it was rough , £400 or so I think you ripped me off for ;) Though it tidied up fine and ended up sited in local bar for a bit :)

10 years ago I would have still had my Pinball Pool (Gott) and no real way of fixing it up, it had a broken drop target (the 9 ball) and no real way to fix it. It was broken when I bought it in about 1985 at an arcade auction in Northern Ireland of a load of Noraut arcade stuff

10 years ago I was still in a basement flat with no room for anything. (one small spare room with the best part of 10,000 CDs sitting in it)

Had fond memories of pinball in the early 90s and I remembered being floored by the prices on ebay when I checked them. **** me a TAF is almost a grand. IJ £750. Who could possibly afford to waste that kind of money on a game? Don't think I'd actually played a game at that time since the mid 90s when the horror that is Roadshow put me off them for ages. (in fairness to the piece of crap I also think I played LAH a couple of weeks later which didn't help)

I had talked to my wife about wanting a game and decided that when we moved I could buy one on the condition that I started to wind my record label up and concentrate on having a "real" job. A year later we bought a bigger place and bought a Hook off ebay. Guess it didn't stay at one for long:oops: ZI still remember the grief I got when I picked up my third machine (naturally the excuse was that it would only be 3 until I got around to selling one of the other two)

Probably wobbling past it to the bar at Snobs nightclub in Birmingham... There may have a machine in there, being that sort of place, but i would've been in no fit state to play a lone ball, let alone multiple balls. There was an Addam's Family in the Intrepid Fox in that there London too.

In 2005 i was more into MAME because it was doable on about a £200 budget. I always said that i'd have me a Pinball one day, but 2005 wasn't the time or place or be doing it.

10 years ago I was playing Pinball Dreams but dreaming I owned a real pinball.

Now I wish I'd taken the plunge then instead of waiting until prices started going up.

Ten years ago I was 18, still living at home, and we were just about to get our first machine - a TZ. I Remember the guy who delivered it warning me that before long we'd have several, and I laughed thinking that we'd never get a second past my mum. Now my dad has four, I have two in my one bedroom flat, and another thirteen have come and gone! It's a sickness.

From about 2001, I was checking the prices of TAFs in the interweb and was also shocked at how expensive they were. In those days I had a space but not the money. If I found a pin, I would play it but I don't think I actively sought them out.
So ten years ago I was still dreaming about owning one. Now I am drawing up the plans to build a dedicated building for them.
Ha, we have more money than sense.

2005 i wasn't into pinball but had already had loads of arcade machines.
i was featured in classic ford magazine in april with my cossie powered MK2 RS2000.
in my avatar thats me in the red next to marcel lusk playing in the world series of poker main event in las vegas.that was july 2005.
that was a $10,000 buy in,i could have got some nice pins with that lol.

10 years ago I had PinBot, and still do.... Have always had a machine from the age of 16... Captain Kidd to Cross Town, Bally Bazaar to Hawaiian Isle..
Sing Along to Riverboat... then a Flash (loved it and want another...) and now the*Bot and a pimped up Space Station.

Was just thinking about this - a decade ago I think I just had the 2 machines ...Tommy and Earthshaker. I was probably looking forward to the Margate Pinball Extravaganza (April 2005) , which would be my first proper pinball show. I can remember meeting Nick Pins Anon there for the first time, and also Martin Ayub.

The UK Pinball Show started up later that year iirc. I took Tommy along for its first show outing and I think it was post that show that things started to get out of hand and more machines than space reared its ugly head for the first time :rofl:

Of course I won't still be into pinball in another 10 years. Please god no . Make it stop. :cuckoo: :D

10 years ago(I am taking it as 2004 as this year has only just begun),I had a few pins.
I had-Cueball wizard,STTNG,Soccer Kings,WH20,RS and AFM(only one out of that lot I still have).
Back then I thought that I could not believe I have paid £1450 for the AFM-for that price was crazy-how times change eh?:-oI also thought it was insane for me to own that many-little did I realise how it gets wworse:tut:

Was also the year of pinsanon meet.awesome!!Remember playing a RBION there-and me n Daflippers loved it from that point on-plus I kipped over in the pin room,with dracula scaring me at about 3.30am with its attract sounds.Aloso got my tumbler,and was loving ukpinball group-that was where the ukpinball group cover photo is from IIRC.
oh yeah and I also remember shaking my head at a damaged in transit(with it's legs on) - T3 :cuckoo:

Ten years ago I came to the UK. I gave the Judge dredd that I owned back home to a mate to look after until I returned. My pinball addiction was only fed when visiting other countries like Sweden, Germany, The USA or back home in Oz. There was nothing in my area. Then in 2006 I heard about a pinball event in Swavesey. In 2012 I got ID4 and 2014 STTNG & PPY. The only question now is do I get rid of the bar pictured in my avatar and buy more tables or start swapping?

Ah 10 years ago, not much has changed, slightly less pins and more videogame cabs. Hmm might have been up to about 15 pins then

I wasn't into pins 10 years ago :) I'd played them as a kid but then nothing for a long time. I was probably just getting into MAME and definitely big into console gaming (still am) :thumbs:

Likely playing Space Cadet writing "Sam is best so HA GRANPA" when I got the highscore as he was the only one with a PC, oddly he was well into digital Pinball and not physical but neither was I, didn't even really know they were a thing 10 years ago. I was only 13! Arcades usually involved Time Crisis ;)

10 years ago I was in my first house still with only room for 4 pinballs setup. I had had 5 or 6 in the house setup before then but my girlfriend ( now wife) moved in and things needed to be rearranged to I created a dedicated room In the basement. I was changing games more often back then, but would have had Addams, black knight 2000, Indians Jones, Frankenstein, pacman and terminator 2 I think. I was wondering how to alter game code and waiting for a way to do it!

Back
Top Bottom