What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete We came we saw, we kicked its <dirt>...

What's been done to the machine...

• All non rivet plastics replaced with NOS
  • All plastics cleaned and polished old with novus 2 and then cleaned
  • Ramp removed cleaned and polished
  • Playfield fully stripped, cleaned and waxed with pinheadz
  • Pop bumbers fully replaced. New green plastic skirts, new green clear plastic housing, all new parts except coils
  • New flipper bats
  • Ghostbusters upgrade kit, green slime stops air balls and a centre post that works surprisingly well at stopping those irritating ball drains
  • Shooter rod fully replaced, springs, washers etc.
  • Comet LCD green glow buttons
  • Titan green rubbers throughout
  • Titan pink rubbers on small posts
  • Probably some stuff I've missed 🤔
The machine has had its flippers rebuilt so that wasn't needed

Had the usual teething issues when I turned it on:

• Right flipper button not working and left a bit sensitive. Adjusted the switches. As new buttons in different positions
  • Pops working but not working when ball hits the skirt, again switch adjustment. Working perfectly
  • Screw flew off, found and screwed it in tight 😜🤭
  • Three switches on ramp that are under the train tracks. Realised I hadn't plugged the connector back in, whoops, fully working now

Switch error 43 under the left ramp exit is back, this error has always been present since I bought it, I didn't notice it at first until you go deep into the tech alerts. Its a strange switch it doesn't seem to affect gameplay at all.

From running test on everything I also noticed the right outlane flasher wasn't working, the positive wire has been physically disconnected from LED board.

I initially thought the switch had gone and changed it during the restore, however that didn't resolve it. I wasn't 100% sure if it was even wired up right in the first place, a big thank you to @Andydn for taking the time to take pictures of the switch on his machine to confirm its wired up correctly.

A friend of mine who knows electronics came over yesterday to help trouble shoot.

Confirmed that the switch is fine and the wiring up to the node board is fine doing continuity tests.

All points to the node board on the top left most likely a transistor (might have got the terminology wrong) the sticky up thing :)

left ramp exit.png

The right outlane flasher when connected locks on, its permanently lit, it will flash, issue again is with the node board :(

Right outlane.png

Question:

1) Can node boards be repaired, my friend is going to take a look, I've read some problems can others can't due to game data being written to chips. However this issue points to one of the sticky up things on the board :). He fully knows what hes doing and has the equipment to repair it, I don't :)

2) Is the problem left switch and right light on the same board, its saying node 8, but has a sub section 8c. I didn't fully trace this. It might be on the centre board.

The only saving grace is you can buy replacement node boards, although a little expensive, its one of those strange problems, I personally don't care that a flasher doesn't work, this doesn't effect the gameplay in any way. The broken switch also definitely doesn't seem to affect it, my friend got 11.5 billion yesterday. I think its purpose is to register when the ball goes up the mini right ramp and doesn't hit one of the three switches on the centre /train track bit, but it almost always does,

Fixed bought a new node board, pinball heaven reduced by £100 so price now at £180, with postage it's about £130 / £140 to fix so not far off new.

Easy to fit almost idiot proof 🤔🙄

nice work on the cleanup, GB Pro is a fun game that can be a little tough

I have slowly enhancing mine with some custom mods - nearly finished my latest - more realistic Fire House
Thanks, that's looking really nice.

GB is best when settings are adjusted away from factory, I bought some sort of middle post works similar to shadow, that hangs across the flipper, works really really well and takes away the last pain in the .... With the ball draining straight down.

I might be interested in the firehouse, but no spare funds for pinball at the moment and am having an extended break from pinball spending 😄

Wife bought me stuff for the machine for my birthday.....

Sound is much better, one of the machines it definitely improves. Stereo I can now hear, subtle sound effects that couldn't be picked up before and the base is greatly improved

Last edited:
Question for anybody...

Curious what the hell is the thing with the cap on thats mounted to the speakers, bottom left?

PXL_20240112_201420578.jpg

Stop them humming?

There back in with pinsound

Took the colour dmd out and cleaned all the glass miles better

There's also settings I wasn't aware off, set the display to hd mode, the graphics are much better and clear now than what it was set to before

Still an issue with switch 43 will 1000% need to re pin. Waiting for retro to get them back in stock. Will pick up a shaker at the same time and yet another node board. Node 9 the cap has a problem. Machine turns on with node 9 not found error.

Got a new node board from @Silverpaolo

Works perfect and quick delivery, thanks

Fitted, that fixed the node 9 missing error

Took the pin out for switch 43, the metal snapped in my hand so was definitely 💩

Got some pins from pinball mania very helpful, right size pretty easy to fit once id worked out how to use the crimping tool I'm a spare that I bought.

Right flasher in the playfield was always disconnected.

When connected it locks on solid.

Any ideas?

In the past some one has resoldered, is the wiring the wrong way round?

Is it the little flasher board itself

It's serves zero purpose and I'm done spending any more, but if any one had any ideas it would be appreciated

Last edited:
The only saving grace is you can buy replacement node boards, although a little expensive, its one of those strange problems, I personally don't care that a flasher doesn't work, this doesn't effect the gameplay in any way. The broken switch also definitely doesn't seem to affect it, my friend got 11.5 billion yesterday. I think its purpose is to register when the ball goes up the mini right ramp and doesn't hit one of the three switches on the centre /train track bit, but it almost always does,
So from learning the game a bit more Switch 43 effects game play and scoring massively, its pretty impossible to get the PKE mode without the switch active. This leads me to believe the switch issue wasn't present at first but developed over time. Northern Ireland is cold and damp, I think this issue with the Pin and Cap on a node board have developed due to change in what the machine was used to.

Still can't get anywhere near 11.5 billion, although that scores been reset :)

Usually a shorted driver. Measure continuity across it.
Correct on the LED main board node 8a /c

Replaced the small flasher board, no difference, only £4 so worth a try.

Problem with the main LED board that's unique to Ghostbusters, purchased from Marco, fitted now all lights work.

Also rebuilt the auto launcher, new coil, spring, sleeve as was playing up. Now perfect.

This machine is finally finished, turned out to be expensive, three apparently small problems , but expensive to fix, oh well 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom