What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vectrex Fans?

Switched mine on the other day and I only get the dot in the middle of screen. Any ideas?
I’m just fixing the one I bought this week at the moment which had this issue. The white dot in the middle means the logic board is not outputting any screen data and the processor has most likely crashed. Could also be lack of power to the logic board. I’ll update here as I go. Repairs require a full and I mean full disassemble!! :)

I loaned mine and almost every cart ever made to my sister as her kids were always playing on it when they visited
A few year ago I asked if she still had it as I’d have it back.
She sold it at a car boot for buttons.
Ah well fond memories anyways

So this is what I am starting with. Time to take it apart and have a detailed look at the main cpu board with the scope. Took the back off and checked the voltages into the cpu board first and they were all fine

31DF96B8-A481-409C-A541-53C4AB00B54F.jpegC75398AA-CBC7-4D4F-8D54-CC27EDB3840B.jpeg

So, after some investigation i worked out that the cpu board was booting up ok but then looked like it was crashing after about a second. The processor looked to be running ok. All address and data lines pulsing on the rams and rom. The output pins on the pia never pulsed, so guessed the program was starting and running to a point t then bombing out after. I swapped the pia chip as was easy to try (socketed) no difference. I also thought maybe was a ram issue so fixed some 2114's over the old ones (handy test trick) no difference. Then decided to checksum the rom.

IMG_9061.JPG

Bingo. So data from around address 0x1000h on the rom was bad. This is the upper half of the rom, as its a 8x8k rom (2764 size)

Burned a new one. Took awhile to find this international 'bios' rom.

IMG_9063.JPG

Also cleaned up the cpu board and did a cap change on it, inc the tant caps.

IMG_9065.JPG

IMG_9068.JPG

No issues with the board quality and changing parts.

IMG_9066.JPG

Retesting with the new rom in, i could see pulsing on the pia and also out to the dac and video circuits. Here's a scope of the blank line which i think is for the z axis (whether the beam is on or off possibly)

IMG_9069.JPG

So, looked promising. But needed to clean and reassamelbe everything before i could test properly

Spent today, cleaning up the rest of the parts. Mostly case parts and the tube etc. Wanted to reassemble and test the machine with the repaired cpu board and test before doing a cap change on the power/crt chassis board

IMG_9072.JPGIMG_9073.JPGIMG_9077.JPGIMG_9088.JPGIMG_9089.JPGIMG_9090.JPG
IMG_9095.JPG
IMG_9097.JPG

Last edited:
Thought I’d have a look at converting a repro SNES controller to work with my new functional vectrex. Thinking of making a new PCB to go inside the housing. What to do with the upper l and r buttons though?

could be an interesting small project. You can still get the moulded 9 pin d type cables to. Seen a few articles on using other controllers so should be possible

These repro controllers are pretty cheapo but the cases are ok

E34FEEF0-B454-4660-98E7-B45C992DF334.jpegD49807DD-495D-4AB2-AF8D-77795213DB07.jpegD852C724-2AFA-449B-987B-83D267CA1F45.jpeg

The VecAdapt that I got from a guy in Australia maps a megadrive pad to a vectrex controller connector so definitely doable mate 👍 in your case it would be built into the controller rather than a separate box.

The VecAdapt that I got from a guy in Australia maps a megadrive pad to a vectrex controller connector so definitely doable mate 👍 in your case it would be built into the controller rather than a separate box.
Yeah I’m thinking a new PCB inside a cool SNES case will be pretty good. The original controller design is pretty simple to

So, controller buttons. 4 fire buttons and some other projects have added an auto fire on button 4? Whats the scoop on the 4 buttons?? Do most games use all 4 or only 1 or 2?. Thinking i could add a small micro controller ic in there to handle some auto fire options which could be enabled and disabled using the centre snes select button. Also could have some different auto fire options like std rapid fire, long pulse, short pulse etc etc

Joystick buttons (up down left right) seems fairly easy to map over with some resistor divider circuits.

What do you think?

So, controller buttons. 4 fire buttons and some other projects have added an auto fire on button 4? Whats the scoop on the 4 buttons?? Do most games use all 4 or only 1 or 2?. Thinking i could add a small micro controller ic in there to handle some auto fire options which could be enabled and disabled using the centre snes select button. Also could have some different auto fire options like std rapid fire, long pulse, short pulse etc etc

Joystick buttons (up down left right) seems fairly easy to map over with some resistor divider circuits.

What do you think?
I'll check which button (or buttons) my VecAdapt allows you to set autofire on as I can't remember :thumbs: There's a toggle switch for it but I haven't used it for a while.

Jim @myPinballs just done a bit of testing with mine and in Minestorm, button 4 is shoot. With autofire off you have to press the button each time for a single shot but with it enabled you can hold down button 4 and it will fire as fast as the game can manage. It's not a true autofire in that you still have to press button 4 to shoot but it does shoot a lot quicker than the standard controller can keep up with. I think it affects all 4 buttons when enabled as the thrust seems way faster than normal too (hard to tell if it makes any difference to warp) :thumbs:

Jim @myPinballs just done a bit of testing with mine and in Minestorm, button 4 is shoot. With autofire off you have to press the button each time for a single shot but with it enabled you can hold down button 4 and it will fire as fast as the game can manage. It's not a true autofire in that you still have to press button 4 to shoot but it does shoot a lot quicker than the standard controller can keep up with. I think it affects all 4 buttons when enabled as the thrust seems way faster than normal too (hard to tell if it makes any difference to warp) :thumbs:
Thanks, great info :)

So, lets see what these are like!! Created today :D

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 18.26.23.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-30 at 18.26.39.png

Awesome Jim!

Anyone got the image for the multicart Rom at all??

EDIT : This looks interesting... http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org/index.php/en/mvbd-mvmc-3/introduction-mvbd-mvmc
Yep that is cool. The one I’ve designed takes upto a 27c512 rom currently which gives 16 4K games or 8 8k games or 2 32k games etc. it’s got flexibility not to limit the multi rom to a specific game size

probably expand it to use a 27c080 rom eventually for more storage but organising into smaller sets might be better, don’t know yet. Sometimes a massive single list gets confusing

Will make them available if anyone wants one plus maybe we should come up with a master list of cool games. Some of the lists just seem like everything possible and every variation! Should be a fairly cheap little card to make.

Back
Top Bottom