What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vectrex Fans?

I fancy one of these myself but want a bust one that i can fix up. Something different to repair :)
I think that's the way to go these days as they've shot up in price in recent years! I got my actual Vectrex years ago for a great deal thankfully and managed to get a lot of the original games in bundles for not crazy money. Completing my collection is probably going to cost though as the last few games I need are the ones that never come up for sale, especially complete in box versions!

I think that's the way to go these days as they've shot up in price in recent years! I got my actual Vectrex years ago for a great deal thankfully and managed to get a lot of the original games in bundles for not crazy money. Completing my collection is probably going to cost though as the last few games I need are the ones that never come up for sale, especially complete in box versions!
Yep wish I’d seen these when I was a kid! And Argos was selling them to :) would have blown my mind!!

Some of the newer homebrews are amazing. The games by Kristoff Tutts are top quality and really show what the Vectrex can do. Vector Patrol (which is Moon Patrol) plays a version of Walking on the Moon by The Police :D

I had an msx it was great my friends dad bought it for him and brought games back from abroad all the time Konami carts , I had about 25 or so mint boxed after my mum bought it off him for my Christmas ad he upgraded to Amiga , and now for the **** bit. I sold it to a neighbour who said he would pay me 55 pounds , as a lad I took it down abs gave it to him , he gave me 5 pounds and said he would pay in instalments weekly , he gave me 20 in total , I now have trust issues :) ... and I also have an Amiga :)

Last edited:
I had an msx it was great my friends dad bought it for him and brought games back from abroad all the time Konami carts , I had about 25 or so mint boxed after my mum bought it off him for my Christmas ad he upgraded to Amiga , and now for the **** bit. I sold it to a neighbour who said he would pay me 55 pounds , as a lad I took it down abs gave it to him , he gave me 5 pounds and said he would pay in instalments weekly , he gave me 20 in total , I now have trust issues :) ... and I also have an Amiga :)
sad isn’t it that there’s people you think you can trust and can’t . We’ve all learned the hard way

I delivered a Defender from W London to Basingstoke in the late Eighties to a games software guy, friend of a friend and was to be paid £50.
Did it on the roof rack on my P6 Rover😂, anyway all was good. He never paid and was told I would get it, never had it.
Went back there banging his door but wouldn’t answer so opened his outside meter cupboard and pulled the main incoming fuse and left him to it😁
Trust hey!

I grew up with the vectrex. Had the following games
Armour attack
Bedlam
Clean sweep
Cosmic chasm
Berserk
Rip off

all boxed. Gave it away to my cousin when I was a teenager when the snes came along. Wish I still had it. They were great games

I have one. Owned from new... In fact i havent cracked it out for a while... Before i think about firing it up, does anyone have details on recapping these (only because i know the Caps will need changing - It;s been probably 20 years since it;s been fired up!)??

I have one. Owned from new... In fact i havent cracked it out for a while... Before i think about firing it up, does anyone have details on recapping these (only because i know the Caps will need changing - It;s been probably 20 years since it;s been fired up!)??

Standard processes for recapping any crt monitor mate, Be careful, discharge first and replace the electrolytics on the analogue board. I'll be doing it to mine to so i'll keep a note of the parts needed if useful and i'll be using all highest quality panasonic/nichicon/vishay/multicomp caps to, not **** form china. Can make some kits for people later is there is interest

Nice one Jim @myPinballs original controllers are generally available but can be a bit pricey sometimes. Other options available are custom built controllers (I've got a stick made by Virtvic on UKVAC) and something called VecAdapt which allows you to connect a Megadrive pad :thumbs: If you plan on playing it a lot then I highly recommend one of the alternative controller options as the original sticks are cool but they're not ideal for longer play sessions.

PXL_20210325_105407881.jpg

Standard processes for recapping any crt monitor mate, Be careful, discharge first and replace the electrolytics on the analogue board. I'll be doing it to mine to so i'll keep a note of the parts needed if useful and i'll be using all highest quality panasonic/nichicon/vishay/multicomp caps to, not **** form china. Can make some kits for people later is there is interest

i think it might be discharged after 10+ years... however you never know :D

From what i have found this morning, there is a lack of Through hole connections and paper thin/easilly liftable tracks... sounds like WPC boards!

Nice one Jim @myPinballs original controllers are generally available but can be a bit pricey sometimes. Other options available are custom built controllers (I've got a stick made by Virtvic on UKVAC) and something called VecAdapt which allows you to connect a Megadrive pad :thumbs: If you plan on playing it a lot then I highly recommend one of the alternative controller options as the original sticks are cool but they're not ideal for longer play sessions.

View attachment 135657

Ooh - never seen the square contoller before!

View attachment 135657
Yeah maybe I could have waited and got a bust one with controller but I thought what the hell 😎 seems the controllers get sold separately once they stop working most of the time now.

should be something different and cool to fix up anyway

Imagine if you’d bought up all the old stock and then sat on it for years just like all the thoughts about buying old Addams family pins back in 1996!!! 😂😂😂

The fella I bought my Robotron NIB off of had a lockup with a shop display POS stand full of NOS Vectrex.

He offered me one but I was too in awe of all the NIB 70s and 80s arcades he had to pay them much attention.

All Vectrex owners should get the Defender clone. I think it is called Protector. It’s an astonishing achievement.

Yeah I would also be interested in the cap requirements. I've seen various kits available but simply not got round to doing the mods so it will be helpful to hear what you use and how you go on.

Ive found some of it - Caps list (which can differ from Revision to Revision) and board layouts showing the ones to change... Cant beat Jim's Kits and support though!

Back
Top Bottom