What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinball Group Pinball Hall of Fame - Nominations Reminder

How about someone that has been a member of the UK Pinball community for more years than probably anyone else, Gary Flower.

David

Please don't be confused, you are not being ased for nominations for the UK PINBALL HALL OF FAME
Although you may be guided to a website that appears with a URL that purports to be just that.

I have the rights to the UK Pinball Hall of Fame tradmark.
Last year Keith Elwin and George Gomez were inducted into the UK Pinball Hall of Fame.

So where do we find a list of people in the UK PINBALL HALL OF FAME?

I am confused. Wasn't George already inducted in 2013?

Not the same UK hall of fame. You know, UK pinball scene is so massive*, we need 2 halls of fame in order to fit everyone! (Especially with all the guys from across the pond who are crowding said halls...)

🤷‍♂️

*Due to the immense east anglian presence. ;)

I am confused.
The same things happens every year. It follows this rough sequence:

1. Someone asks for nominations.
2. Initial confusion occurs around the multiple versions of the awards.
3. Some bizarre arguments about the duplicate awards occur, both on here and irl.
4. Neil comes along and highlights that some of the people in one or more of the lists perhaps shouldn't be there any more (perhaps where their rep has nosedived since they received the award).
5. Neil proposes his own awards, adding further confusion, but also an element of surreal comedy.
6. The drama dies down and is forgotten about until the following year.

As Neil's banned, I guess we can skip steps 4 and 5 this year, but we still have some way before we can get to step 6.

I am confused. Wasn't George already inducted in 2013?

View attachment 245437
Thank you

Last Year the inductees to the UK Pinball Hall of Fame were Keith Elwin and the Sharpe Family. (In a private ceremony George received a personal award for James Bond).

George was inducted into the UK Pinball Show Hall of Fame in 2009 as reported by Pinball News.

Thank you

Last Year the inductees to the UK Pinball Hall of Fame were Keith Elwin and the Sharpe Family. (In a private ceremony George received a personal award for James Bond).

George was inducted into the UK Pinball Show Hall of Fame in 2009 as reported by Pinball News.
ah! Thank you for clarifying.

Thank you

Shouldnt the UK hall of fame only include people from the actual UK?+

Can you vote for someone to be removed? (I'm thinking Andrew Heighway here). I guess not.

Neil McRae gets my vote to go in.

It's been mentioned a number of times Claire in the past and still he remains..

I also strongly feel that John Trudeau should be removed. Surely a convicted criminal (especially for crimes like that) should have any honours automatically removed.
JT was inducted long before I was involved with the committee (I'm firmly of the belief that those enrolled should actually be from the UK rather than a tenuous link to "those that have made a major contribution to the enjoyment of pinball in the UK"), but I do think that it is an issue where peoples achievements/ body of work etc. are removed/ignored based on other factors, no matter how heinous. This also applies on a much broader scale for people outside of pinball.

I get the history washing argument but there are two sides to this. We should be updating the records to include what we know now and this may change how we honor people.

Not murdering or abusing people are very basic principles, children especially are vulnerable. Why keep honoring the name of someone who has abuse victims that are still suffering. I doubt the award would have been given if it was known at the time, so in these cases, why not drop them from the record?. This doesn't have to be changing history, a footnote can say that an award was giving and removed based on a criminal case.

We don't have to be destroying the things they were involved in like CFTBL as that is removing something from history.

I'm not a fan of history washing either, but I see that as trying to apply the standards of the modern world to a time when those standards didn't apply. What Trudeau did was as wrong then as it is now, so no excuse not to rescind the award IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom