What's new

The "Today I received" Thread

I remember playing an X-Files pinball back when it was new in The Inn on the Prom Worthing, a massive smoke filled pub with proper sticky carpets that went up the front of the bar and trapped you like a fly in a web if you stood still for too long. Great days and a great fun machine.

So I made this post in the ‘How much is this table worth‘ thread at the beginning of August:

Ok, a bit of a weird one here but bear with me. My dad spent a year or two living in Florence from around 1970 when he was in his early 20s. He’d never played pinball before but he found one in the basement of a local coffee shop and that is where he fell in love with it - and that in turn meant he got me into the hobby.

We’ve finally worked out that this was the machine:

I thought it could be nice to try to surprise him with one. I’ve had a look on pinball owners and I’ve found one for sale in Italy that is in ‘great shape and fully operational’ according to the seller. I know you can’t put a price on sentimental value etc, but out of curiosity - can anyone give me any vague indication of how much a game like this is worth if it is as the seller describes?

Thanks to @Doug I went searching for a Spin-A-Card, the UK model of Hi-Lo, and found one via Pinball Owners that had been in storage for ten years not far from here. Collected it on Saturday and surprised my dad with it that evening. Fortunately it is the game he remembers playing in Florence in the 70s and he couldn’t believe I’d found one. I’ve been playing it more than I thought I would, the rules are simple but it’s addictive.

A3B41A56-66CA-4200-8609-82A042CD6DFC.jpeg

I also posted this thread recently:

Has anyone looked into importing JJP games from the States? I’m interested to know if they would work over here, or if they have anything similar to the Stern region lockout based on different voltage that would need to be solved.

My dad has tasked me with finding a couple of games that he hasn’t owned before and that he’d enjoy. One of the games that has come to mind is Toy Story 4 - it has a fairly simple rule set and it’s a thme that he enjoys. Problem is that they’re £14k over here and I can’t in good conscience suggest he spends that much on one. There are however several advertised on Pinside for $10k which works out to £7.8k. If you assume around £500 for shipping and then add VAT onto the total that’s still under £10k which makes it a more reasonable proposition.

Is there anything I’m missing here?

And as a result of that thread, this arrived yesterday

CCA24B92-5993-4A39-8183-440C78401961.jpeg

Only had a few games so far but I’m really enjoying it - pretty straightforward in terms of rules but it’s a fun shooter and the lights are v impressive. Looking forward to spending some more time with it.

Last edited:
So I made this post in the ‘How much is this table worth‘ thread at the beginning of August:

Thanks to @Doug I went searching for a Spin-A-Card, the UK model of Hi-Lo, and found one via Pinball Owners that had been in storage for ten years not far from here. Collected it on Saturday and surprised my dad with it that evening. Fortunately it is the game he remembers playing in Florence in the 70s and he couldn’t believe I’d found one. I’ve been playing it more than I thought I would, the rules are simple but it’s addictive.

View attachment 229331

I also posted this thread recently:

And as a result of that thread, this arrived yesterday

View attachment 229332

Only had a few games so far but I’m really enjoying it - pretty straightforward in terms of rules but it’s a fun shooter and the lights are v impressive. Looking forward to spending some more time with it.
That's great, I'm pleased you managed to get one. As you say, a simple rule set but one of those 'just one more go' games.

Well Saturday actually, picked up from Chris B at pinfest.
Already got one on AFM but that was on it when I bought it. Swapping it over from the original DMD shows what an amazing difference a colordmd makes
It’s the LCD set to hires and it makes it a new machine.

Only problem it now highlights a problem in my small lineup 🤦‍♂️😂

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1791.jpeg
    IMG_1791.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 30
Left Pinfest at 2pm on Sunday to bag myself a Rick and Morty.

Drove to Wales, then back home, then back to Pinfest to collect my games and home again.

Didn't get home till midnight, was it worth it? F*** yes!

Think this was @steve brum 's old pin. Replaced the rubbers as they were shot and the CMOS battery was dead, which caused it to not boot. New battery and a quick jump on the fpanel connector and I was back in business. Changed the bios settings back to Spooky's recommended config and it boots no issues now.

Flipper alignment was miles off but easy enough fix. Did a code update and clean of the cab and playfield. Really enjoying the game!

Wub a lub dub dub!!

P.S. I turned my living room into a pinball room Morty!

PXL_20230828_134911027.jpg

PXL_20230828_134945277.jpg

Finally got round to picking this up yesterday! Underneath the dust I think there's a really nice condition game so I'm well pleased :D I gave the cab a quick wipe down before moving it into the cabin and it looks good. Playfield is in fantastic shape and should only need a few minor touch ups and the backglass should be similar. Electrically it's an unknown at the moment so I'll be doing some testing this weekend but I'd already factored in getting a new Janin 4 in 1 board for it.

It's definitely had work done in the past as theres an invoice (undated) from David Blake in Cambridge showing a load of stuff being sorted. Anyone know who this is and if they're on the forum? Also, the legs are a bit unusual and one's I've not seen before where the edges are rolled inwards....anyone know if this is Gottlieb Sys 1 specific?

I'll start a shop log thread for this one as it's a game you don't see that much :thumbs:

View attachment 226125

View attachment 226126

View attachment 226127

View attachment 226128

View attachment 226129

View attachment 226130

View attachment 226131
I'm pretty sure David Blake was prominent in the old POA thing. I bought my Jungle Lord from him.

Last ramp flaps i did with a punch set and hammer. Despite allot of care, nearly cracked the ramps 😬

Was being tight and didnt want to pay the extra for the above but will order one next time!! not worth the risk

Last ramp flaps i did with a punch set and hammer. Despite allot of care, nearly cracked the ramps 😬

Was being tight and didnt want to pay the extra for the above but will order one next time!! not worth the risk

Do ramps and plastics so often that I can safely say the above tool, although expensive it works and wouldn't be without it.
PXL_20230819_162354030.jpg

no doubt some smart @rse is trying to mod a g-clamp,as we speak!
I have been on the look out for years but just gave in, seen some homemade ones where people have drilled into bolts and all sorts. Hammering into ramps is a bit risky with what they cost. The proper parts to do the actual job with a hammer are about £40 or so, I gave in😂

The g clamp on this is heavy and well made, my grandchild could use this tool!

Back
Top Bottom