What's new

The "Today I received" Thread

You know, Luke, I think it's the best line-up of a half dozen machines I've ever seen! Visually stunning. Because they're all Gottliebs from the same era (Flippermuseum is roughly organised by era, theme and manufacturer) they really stand out. It must have been a certain style at that time. Lovely colours, gorgeous artwork and they were all great games to play. I would be proud to own any of them but HULK and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS particularly. I came close as I nearly bought a CHARLIE'S ANGELS for my first pin. Who knows? Instead of being a three-in-a-row Bally Boy I could have been a Gott Nut! Mind you, my all time favourite grail pin is BLACK HOLE so there's still time to move over to the Dark Side.

My thoughts exactly, some great themes there and all visually stunning. I do like to admire the art on some of the older machines. Sadly something lost of Sterns photoshop team (Metallica excluded)

Somehow I managed to accidentally order this. I was going to buy it as it's on special offer at £14.99 (from £20 but originally £60) and it has a few more features than my old PG013, like 10A current, inductance, duty cycle, frequency, high capacitance, etc., but didn't complete the order process. I'd signed in and was ready to pay but got distracted and eventually decided not to bother. But now it's turned up! Weird...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/precision-gold-wg020-digital-multimeter-gw26d

GW26.png

And there's more! I took a punt on 5 chips on eBay described simply as SONY MC6800 for £1.59 including postage. Sony never made these devices. They arrived this morning and they're genuine NOS Motorola MC6800P CPU chips still sealed in little bags! They're so old the anti-static foam is starting to crumble.

I won't jump to any conclusions about their working condition but looking closely at the pins they've never been fitted. These chips are pretty robust so fingers crossed will check out ok. If so, that's £25 worth of these for £1.59!

image.jpg

And there's more! I took a punt on 5 chips on eBay described simply as SONY MC6800 for £1.59 including postage. Sony never made these devices. They arrived this morning and they're genuine NOS Motorola MC6800P CPU chips still sealed in little bags! They're so old the anti-static foam is starting to crumble.

I won't jump to any conclusions about their working condition but looking closely at the pins they've never been fitted. These chips are pretty robust so fingers crossed will check out ok. If so, that's £25 worth of these for £1.59!

View attachment 13033

Wow what a deal.

In all honesty, if these being made by Sony is very rare, you might be able to sell them on to a CPU collector.

Many years ago, I found a particularly rare 8080 variant on a Space Invaders board that I got just over £100 for on ebay

Basically, select the temperature on your Maplin A55KJ. Have a look in the manual for setting the desired temp on the quick select 1, 2, 3 buttons (I think you press and hold the up or down arrow for more than 3 seconds). You can see in my photo I've got them set to 200'C, 300'C and 380'C. I pressed button 2 and waited for the display to show the tip was at 300'C. Then pop a fresh dab of solder on the tip, just a bit, then hold it on the tiny metal square in the middle of the FG-100 meter. Wait for it to stabilise. I gave mine about 10-15 seconds. Note the reading; I got 286'C the first time.

Now here's where you calibrate the station. To work out the offset deduct the setting temp from the actual temp: in my case 286 - 300 = -14. Press and hold the * button then use the up/down arrows on buttons 1 and 2 to enter that value. Press * again to set it. Wait for the iron temp to stabilise and take another reading on the FG-100. It should now be close the setting temp. That's what my picture shows; a setting of 300'C and a thermometer reading of 301'C.

:eek: My FG-100 arrived today.... Mine was -29C out!!! Explains a few things!!! Thanks for the heads up!! :D

In all honesty, if these being made by Sony is very rare, you might be able to sell them on to a CPU collector.

No, definitely made by MOTOROLA, not SONY. It's just the label on the bag that's stamped SONY. Must have been used in something made by Sony and these were replacement parts, maybe from a dealer/service centre.

I've ordered another 10...

I'm on real roll at the moment! The postman can barely lift his bag. I'm going to have to replace the letter box soon, it's getting worn by so much use ;)

25 Red Miniature Push-To-Make Buttons for the coin-door Self-Test button. 25 is probably more than a lifetimes supply, so if anyone else needs any PM me, they're 50p each plus 50p postage.

buttons.png

Me again! I must be on a buying frenzy!

Those Motorola MC6800P CPUs were such a bargain I ordered another 10! Total non-brainer at £3.18. Stuck them in my PARAGON MPU and they all test just fine. Wow, fifteen original NOS Motorola 6800s for just 32p each :eek:

6800s.png

And another little packet arrived from @Jay Walker: a plumb bob weight for the tilt mechanism in GOLD BALL. Thank you!!! :D

TiltBob.png

Sorry, folks, it gets worse ;)

Parcels.png

In the little jiffy a Dremel Router attachment. Not a proper plunge router, just a static collar that keeps the Dremel perpendicular. Perfect for what I've got in mind...

DremelRouter.png

Which is cutting lots of holes in this: a 1250mm x 520mm sheet of clear 0.75mm Lexan (SABIC) polycarbonate sheet. This is the same stuff just a different brand as the Makrolon (BAYER) used by http://playfield-protectors.com/, but I'm going to cover the entire playfield as it's now completely stripped bare. Found this on eBay and coincidentally the playfield is 520mm wide.

Lexan.png

And again! Sorry... :oops: It's like Picadilly Circus around here!

This time 10 x AY-3-8910A PSG (Programmable Sound Generators) made by General Instruments, these are the sound chips in old Bally SS pins and were also used in lots of arcade video games and home computers during the 80s. More unused NOS, I assume. Untested as yet, but only £1 each so won't be devastated if they're no good, but have no reason to believe they won't be just fine.

farm8.staticflickr.com_7495_16152232070_e853f8322e_c.jpg

farm8.staticflickr.com_7532_16313660836_36e17b3e3f_c.jpg

I bought one of those de-soldering tools earlier in the year. It comes with 3 different size nozzles and a load of spare filters etc.

PS. I looked up some of the reference numbers on the packets of SONY chips. Turns out they are from something called a "VIEWDATA TERMINAL" that uses a system called "VIDEOTEX". I've never heard of this before but it's a bit like 2-way Teletext.

You learn something new every day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotex

View attachment 13292
These used to be used by Travel Agent shops to book your Holiday. Like teletext but two way comms. I had one last year.

Back
Top Bottom