What's new

No Longer Available The Simpsons Pinball Party £5400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they were only on the outlanes? When I've played a skill post version, I didn't notice them after a while. In fact one time I didn't even know they were there till after.

I wasn't aware what skillposts were at the time.
I don't see how they effect price that much, some people aren't that bothered?
It depends on what you want to do. I have no skill posts on my LoTR and it means that, at some point, I can buy funky side armour with runic symbols on. The funky side armour doesn't fit pins with two buttons (flipper and side posts).

It depends on what you want to do. I have no skill posts on my LoTR and it means that, at some point, I can buy funky side armour with runic symbols on. The funky side armour doesn't fit pins with two buttons (flipper and side posts).

If someone doesn't want to use skill posts they can remove the buttons and still apply side armour/button protector things

I have seen it and its a great machine from a great seller ,. Those skill posts used to be fitted years,ago by a company in Birmingham (Stevie Brum will tell you all about these ) they were fitted to get over the old laws of "Is it a game off skill " or is it a " game of chance" (and from what i remember the operator went to court over this and won ) .Those days the playfields were drilled out by the operator and this then reduced the resale value (i have seen Medievel 's drilled out this way ), Imho i really cant see the problem with factory installed equipment a machine fitted with them will cost the factory more money than ones without and as David says if they bother you turn them off.

Fit these:

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 15.47.19.png

Got these off @philpalmer .

Cover them over.

Damn £6k for a Simpsons.

I was offered a really nice one a few years ago that had been fully refurbished with all the bells and whistles for £5k and i turned it down because i thought it was too expensive, maybe i should have taken it :D

I have seen it and its a great machine from a great seller ,. Those skill posts used to be fitted years,ago by a company in Birmingham (Stevie Brum will tell you all about these ) they were fitted to get over the old laws of "Is it a game off skill " or is it a " game of chance" (and from what i remember the operator went to court over this and won ) .Those days the playfields were drilled out by the operator and this then reduced the resale value (i have seen Medievel 's drilled out this way ), Imho i really cant see the problem with factory installed equipment a machine fitted with them will cost the factory more money than ones without and as David says if they bother you turn them off.
Amongst others.......

For those that hate skill posts… That means that I can list my Simpsons without Skill Post for at least 8k no? Interesting! Well and the game has a bit over 50games probably tens of times over. Who knows and who cares. There isn’t a skill post and nothing else matters.

I didn't want to derail the thread with more skill post talk, but as we're already there :D

Yes, there was a time when all of the machines in the UK had to have the skill posts so that it was no longer a 'game of chance'.
The only machines I've actually seen them on is Sharkey's Shootout, LotR & TSPP.

I owned a TSPP which did have skill posts fitted. The coils had been removed, along with the flipper/activating buttons, than covered with lollipop side rails, so there was no evidence from the side that they were ever fitted.
The ball very infrequently got caught on the centre post and not drain, despite every effort to level it, but a slight nudge would free it.
There were/are decals that could be put over both the outlane posts and centre post, so you couldn't even tell from the playfield that they existed.

What I have found when playing machines with them in was that rather than assisting in saving the ball, it was so different to playing 'normally' that I ended up losing the ball quicker and would have been better of nudging or a slap save.

TSPP always seemed to have a higher than average price compared to most games of a similar vintage. Having the rules by Keefer, who also did LotR & WPT, as well as the current JJP games, means that it has an extremely deep/broad ruleset.
As for this particular example - it looks in absolute fantastic condition, although as others have said, extremely unlikely that it has only ever had 52 plays, seeing as free play games don't register on the counter - but so what? Condition is everything.
(For such a premium price I would expect colour DMD and decals fitted at the very least, but maybe that's just me.)

Well Looks like a nice Simpsons Pin from Col :thumbs:
You could consider this an LE of its generation due to having the skill posts.

Guess all that take those buttons off cant handle more than one when playing :rofl:

Did I see someone sell a BOP for 3K OMG

I didn't want to derail the thread with more skill post talk, but as we're already there :D

Yes, there was a time when all of the machines in the UK had to have the skill posts so that it was no longer a 'game of chance'.
The only machines I've actually seen them on is Sharkey's Shootout, LotR & TSPP.

I owned a TSPP which did have skill posts fitted. The coils had been removed, along with the flipper/activating buttons, than covered with lollipop side rails, so there was no evidence from the side that they were ever fitted.
The ball very infrequently got caught on the centre post and not drain, despite every effort to level it, but a slight nudge would free it.
There were/are decals that could be put over both the outlane posts and centre post, so you couldn't even tell from the playfield that they existed.

What I have found when playing machines with them in was that rather than assisting in saving the ball, it was so different to playing 'normally' that I ended up losing the ball quicker and would have been better of nudging or a slap save.

TSPP always seemed to have a higher than average price compared to most games of a similar vintage. Having the rules by Keefer, who also did LotR & WPT, as well as the current JJP games, means that it has an extremely deep/broad ruleset.
As for this particular example - it looks in absolute fantastic condition, although as others have said, extremely unlikely that it has only ever had 52 plays, seeing as free play games don't register on the counter - but so what? Condition is everything.
(For such a premium price I would expect colour DMD and decals fitted at the very least, but maybe that's just me.)
Well that's just proved my point. Wayne has seen my RBION and he didn't even notice them 😉

Last edited:
Poor old seller ....this thread is like a 5 alarm fire ..... attracted not only the Price Police , but the Skill Post Police .... any minute now the Leg Protector Police are gonna show up and then the sh*t will really hit the fan ! You don't want to mess with those guys ... wired wrong, just loco o_O

And to think, some people don't like selling machines on here :D

Some people soon won't be buying peas because they've gone up by 50%

When Birmingham Amusements retro fitted skill posts for commercial reason it technically condemed many games to the scrap heap at the end of their commercial use. As Addams MM CV TOTAN CFTBL BSD etc were never meant to have them. At that point the value of the games didnt justify a new playfield and associated faffing about. MM was a £2k game BSD etc sold for around £600. Stern UK models like TSSP LOTR SOPRANOS RBION ELVIS etc were factory fitted to get around our gaming laws and allow split rental on pinball tables. Like US made Sterns now , you we're not supposed to operate games without skill posts ie ones from Europe and technically anyone who owns a non skill post example of these models even now owns a parallel import. Naughty Naughty. HOWEVER in the real world of 2022 when 99% of pinball owners are home users , if you want to sell a game with skill posts you have to accept that potential buyers will expect it to be cheaper than a non skill post version - or more fairly the non skill post version will command a premium.

Skill posts are the equivalent of US rubber safety bumpers on imported european sports cars. Never intended from factory and undesirable.

So it was up for £6K
Then I thought I saw it reduced for £4500
Now it is £5400…

Is that right? Did this sell in the end?

Yep it was me who bought it as my first time pin
Two years browsing is a long time :) I caught the bug on a moment on ebay. ended up buying 12 pins after that.
BOP was my second pin as a newbie and ended up spending a load on it.
It was in a right state when I bought it.
Its a nice pin and a perfect 80's theme.
I'm fully put off by the price of Pinballs in general and in mixed minds as to delve back in after selling all mine.
I love the game but prices are pushing me out of the scene.

One game I was looking at getting was a BOP as it was still in a region I thought was still reasonable but obviously not.

Enjoy the game.

Sold my TSPP for £4400 within 40mins of listing on eBay 2 years ago. Prices have obviously gone upwards since then.

Still....skill posts. Has anybody mentioned those? Have you ever seen a Lamborghini Countach with US bumpers?

So it was up for £6K
Then I thought I saw it reduced for £4500
Now it is £5400…

Is that right? Did this sell in the end?
Who knows? A man of very fews words, or replies, if you look at his previous threads 🤔

Colin rang me last night and was not in the best frame of mind due to the fact the sales thread was totally derailed and he thought there was no point having it up now.
I told him to either eBay or contact Williams amusements that way the marketplace will decide without the fiasco of the skill post debacle.
Colin is in fact a man of little words as he is not Social media savvy so relies on his wife to help him list.
I had a buyer for Col at 5k which I thought was a fair amount due to its condition unseen.
My take on skill posts is known due to having LOTR, FG and currently having a TSPP in my collection I sought the non skill post versions out having to pay a little more for them.
In hindsight I think col should have mentioned this in the offset and maybe avoided the play numbers as it’s hard to verify these on the early machines but it is a 1 owner from new pin with very little play.
I wish col luck in finding a buyer and hope this has not put him off listing any others.

Shame that Col, @£5400 ish TSPP is a lot of pin for the money especially in todays market.

what is it about the skill posts everyone hates so much, is it the extra buttons or the sunken posts on the outlanes? Never quite understood why they are so hated, is it just the cosmetics of them?

what is it about the skill posts everyone hates so much, is it the extra buttons or the sunken posts on the outlanes? Never quite understood why they are so hated, is it just the cosmetics of them?

I think it’s also partly the nature of collectible items - X version is more desirable then Y version for ….*collectors reasons *
That then becomes the group think. Most normal folk couldn’t give a fig but that’s hobbies for you 😁

For a collector who wants the best example they kinda shunned upon but disabling them makes it a perfect example as a players game. So each to there own.
My attitude is Buy / Do not buy. Move on.

However and for whatever reason It always sparks the debate whenever a pin is listed with them as someone always jumps in with the!
“OMG it has skill posts! The seller should be burned at the stake! Thrown off the forum and made an example of! These sorts of sellers should never be allowed to ply their dishonourable trade here”. 😝

I was offered 13k for my DPLE (two buyers) and recently 10k for my R&M and turned them down.
Would I dare to put them on pinfo for that? No way as my skin isn’t thick enough.
The last few pins I’ve sold have been private and I’ve not even resorted to the thread “what’s my pin worth” as that seems to be the new black market on here 😂
One things for sure if my TSPP ever leave here it will just disappear off my signature.
My two penneth for what it’s worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom