What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2023 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interesting to see where we are in 12months. NIB games aren't dropping in price. But will buyers start hanging onto their cash if their £8600 Stern pro drops £2-3k in the first couple of years?
A £8600 pro or soon to be 9k pro won’t drop to 3k , you probably won’t see another deadpool pin , Jurassic park pin or stranger things pin so if you want one of them wonderful playing games you’ll still need to pay a fair chunk to get one …. Sterns nib prices only going one way and will drag up used nice huo prices along with it … maiden has been on site coupled with it being a marmite theme and one of the worst time of years to do a eBay auction that’s why it only achieve short of 5k !

Hey I might be wrong let’s hope in a couple of year you can pick up pros for 2k …. Il take 5 at that price 🤪

A £8600 pro or soon to be 9k pro won’t drop to 3k , you probably won’t see another deadpool pin , Jurassic park pin or stranger things pin so if you want one of them wonderful playing games you’ll still need to pay a fair chunk to get one …. Sterns nib prices only going one way and will drag up used nice huo prices along with it … maiden has been on site coupled with it being a marmite theme and one of the worst time of years to do a eBay auction that’s why it only achieve short of 5k !

Hey I might be wrong let’s hope in a couple of year you can pick up pros for 2k …. Il take 5 at that price 🤪

Drops "by" £2-3k, not drops to £2-3k

good market test as HUO it seems - rare Stern - 5k hasnt tempted anyone yet
The art on the side of the backbox looks odd, like a peeling decal? Was this era decalled?

IMG_20230710_140459.jpg

IMG_20230710_140702.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it's sited in a tattoo parlour. I think the decal peeling is probably off it being sat in the sun all day. The playfield is filthy

Apparently this can happen, there was a Metallica pin for sale recently that had the same problem.
It was an issue around that time, Kiss, Metallica and a couple of other titles suffered from peeling decals.

It may have been before or after the wrinkled/bubbled decal issue they had, when they changed to decals they had all sorts of issues for a few releases.

It was an issue around that time, Kiss, Metallica and a couple of other titles suffered from peeling decals.

It may have been before or after the wrinkled/bubbled decal issue they had, when they changed to decals they had all sorts of issues for a few releases.
Ah ok, also around flipper buttons etc I have seen it.

I get that most machine from the early days were like Stencils and/or Silk screened onto the wood. However what did they do after that? Was there something else before Vinyl Decals?

Genuine question btw not trying to be sarcastic!

I get that most machine from the early days were like Stencils and/or Silk screened onto the wood. However what did they do after that? Was there something else before Vinyl Decals?

Thought the same...I thought steel stencils, then screen printing then Vinyl. Some of the screen printed are is awesome. Data East Star Wars is partially good (in my opinion)

Cab art was an afterthought for a long time . Weirdly l quite like generic ones like firepower 2.

Since the 90s its become very important

I think TOM has my favourite cabinet art yet the game bores me now

Haha nothing wrong with a little sarcasm mate so no worries at all. Stern used to silk screen print directly onto the cabinets, I think Transformers was the first game to release with decals.

They were a cost cutting measure and a way to save money and time on cabinets. If a game sold like **** with the silk printing they had to sand them back down to repurpose them. With decals they ended up just keeping a large quantity of black painted cabinets and applied decals when games went on the line.

Obviously when they first came out everyone was up in arms about decals, even though the print quality of the print was 100% better.

What didn’t help was when Stern changed to decals they obviously hadn’t given the staff any training as a lot of games suffered with peeling backbox decals out of the box, due to little and sometimes no adhesive in areas. Not to mention some of them looked like they had been applied by Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder!

From memory the original decals were like wallpaper where you had to apply adhesive, Chris B likely knows for sure as he’s probably restored a few in his time. When Jody did the FB factory tours back then, they often looked to be brushing adhesive onto cabinets, compared to now, they are just using big stickers.

And that’s all I remember about the great decal disaster of 2012-2013 😂😂

Last edited:
Haha nothing wrong with a little sarcasm mate so no worries at all. Stern used to silk screen print directly onto the cabinets, I think Transformers was the first game to release with decals.

They were a cost cutting measure and a way to save money and time on cabinets. If a game sold like **** with the silk printing they had to sand them back down to repurpose them. With decals they ended up just keeping a large quantity of black painted cabinets and applied decals when games went on the line.

Obviously when they first came out everyone was up in arms about decals, even though the print quality of the print was 100% better.

What didn’t help was when Stern changed to decals they obviously hadn’t given the staff any training as a lot of games suffered with peeling backbox decals out of the box, due to little and sometimes no adhesive in areas. Not to mention some of them looked like they had been applied by Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder!

From memory the original decals were like wallpaper where you had to apply adhesive, Chris B likely knows for sure as he’s probably restored a few in his time. When Jody did the FB factory tours back then, they often looked to be brushing adhesive onto cabinets, compared to now, they are just using big stickers.

And that’s all I remember about the great decal disaster of 2012-2013 😂😂
Nice one thanks, so Bally/Williams never used vinyl decals then?

Not sure about other titles but my STTNG has a screen printed cabinet and decals on the back box.
Yeah my creech had a silk screened backbox, but decals on the cab. Just wondered if they were a restore at one point. I was wondering why older games for instance didn't wrinkle on the leg area.

Yeah my creech had a silk screened backbox, but decals on the cab. Just wondered if they were a restore at one point. I was wondering why older games for instance didn't wrinkle on the leg area.
Pretty sure Bally and Williams, date east and SEGA silk screened their cabinets. Again Chris B can probably tell you for certain but I’m pretty of it.

Which is why the older games cabinets never wrinkled but you got the dig in of the leg shape in the cabinets.

For Bally/William games, I think they did abit of both when it came to the back boxes at least.

When I’ve removed old cabinet art to redecal, Ive found that some had back boxes that were silk screened directly onto the wood but the cabinets had silk screened decals, like T2.

Where as others like both the TAF’s I recently did had original silk screened decals on both the back boxes and cabinets.

Also Planetary Pinball still have some nos decals for certain B/W games as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom