What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supporting Pinshows - Blackpool and beyond - PLEASE comment

I did! Is it worth renaming the name (not the account itself) from Northern Lights Pins to Nothern Lights Pinball so it's easier to find the account? Works fine on my phone as it auto fills it in, and turns out I was already following. But when I tried from my laptop earlier it took me a while.

Might be worth investigating tweeting from it more. Shows its still active and not dead and could be worth following more people who like pinball - and similar things games/arcades - to generate a bit more interest on the account and sharing and resharing the news of events, photos etc. Quite a few of the ones I did from PinFest itself got quite a lot of likes and RTs and hopefully a few who weren't sure about the event before will be up for going in future - especially with it already being confirmed now and easy to make plans around.
All good points, and I know this is your area of expertise, so very thankful for your input. When (if!) we start promotion for the next show I'll try to make sure those points are addressed. Thanks

All good points, and I know this is your area of expertise, so very thankful for your input. When (if!) we start promotion for the next show I'll try to make sure those points are addressed. Thanks
No worries at all. If I can help at all with it then just give me a shout.

No worries at all. If I can help at all with it then just give me a shout.

@Wizcat might be a good idea to get someone like @bethamari onboard to run the social media side of things for you guys...

Twitter/Instagram/Facebook can play a major fact in getting people through the door! And having someone who understands the dynamics of it helps massively

I wasn't sure if I could make it, so I was quite late to offer machines but if we don't support these events then they wont happen anymore, and I think we would all miss the shows if they weren't there. Look at Pinfest, I know its a different show with different people running it, but a lot of people who attended were just happy that "The daventry show" was back. So I think that location is probably the main factor. Its a PITA to get to blackpool. it'll be a 4 hour drive for me probably with the M6 roadworks, and I'm fairly middle of the country.

Timing is also an issue with it being Half term. My missus is probably more forgiving than some, but she's putting up with me going to SWL this weekend, then blackpool next weekend, then a comp at electric circus the weekend after. I am taking the kids to some of them though, so maybe she prefers it when we're all at pinball.:hmm:

I think that it will be busy all weekend with the volume of people coming in from the show in general but I get that NLP don't raise money for charity from those sales.

I don't know how much money the previous raffles made for charity, but the chance to win a machine always gets peoples attention. I'm sure loads of people bought tickets for the raffle even if they couldn't attend the shows, so that might help raise more money, but doesn't really answer the question of how do we get more people (specifically pinball geeks in this case) to attend.

I think spreading the events out would help next year, don't know how possible that is though as they are all booked well in advance. Hopefully Grizz's tease of a possible SCS comeback will happen, both to give us something later in the year and something at the other end of the country. Maybe a coordinated events diary that has been mentioned before could be of use when planning shows as well as planning comps.

Agree with you on this @Big Phil a little too close together. Distance has never been an issue for me, as I just love attending these shows, and always pledge a pin when I can. I even drove to the last south coast slam from Hartlepool and back - that was a long way (not sure I would do that again though).

For me it's about the ability to play a massive variety of pins 2 or 3 times a year, all on freeplay - yes, coffee shops are popping up now but that would cost me a fortune at a £1 a play as I'm not that good !!!

I do think though with 4 events so close next year because of holiday commitments in may/june I could end up missing 2 shows which I would be gutted about, they really could do with spreading out. Always looked forward to the October NLP/Play expo as seen it as the last show of the season for me and if that goes it would be sadly missed.

Cheers

kev

so which one we binning :popcorn:

Scotland, it's full of Scots anyway!?

Don't think that will happen as it's the only pinball show in Scotland for now!?

NLP isn't going to stop because it's the UK's biggest show.

NERG and Daventry are both heavily support shows.

The only way to move Manchester and Glasgow is to move away from Play, which may be a good thing but it's also the biggest thing that brings the public into playing pinball, which is what it's all about.

Newcastle as also got its regulars so I wouldn't think that that could really change.

Perhaps the answer is to have smaller shows but more of them more evenly spread over the whole country? Say each league is responsible for running it's own show each year with 25-30 pins at? That way your not relying on the same people taking pins to all the shows and you'll get some verity at all the shows.

Some have intimated they can't come to Blackpool but may want to help another way.
Well if charity is ok with you and you think it's a good cause, consider supporting our chosen charity this year - a local Blackpool one called Donnas Dream House

Thay have a Just Giving page here

https://www.justgiving.com/donnasdreamhouse

If you donate and feel ok with mentioning NLP or pinball it would bo cool as they would know it came via the Pinball Community

thanks all and see you a week on Saturday!!

Poibug

I dunno yet bud, but with then being so close together, and if we book a two week holiday guess it could even be 2 as we usually go away may/june for 2 weeks. really depends when dates will be firmed up. See ya Friday !!!

Cheers

kev

I dunno yet bud, but with then being so close together, and if we book a two week holiday guess it could even be 2 as we usually go away may/june for 2 weeks. really depends when dates will be firmed up. See ya Friday !!!

Cheers

kev
Actually just looked at the dates and if they are firm it probs will be glasgow I will miss, which I also really enjoy :(

Some have intimated they can't come to Blackpool but may want to help another way.
Well if charity is ok with you and you think it's a good cause, consider supporting our chosen charity this year - a local Blackpool one called Donnas Dream House

Thay have a Just Giving page here

https://www.justgiving.com/donnasdreamhouse

If you donate and feel ok with mentioning NLP or pinball it would bo cool as they would know it came via the Pinball Community

thanks all and see you a week on Saturday!!

Poibug

I see a pinhead, Vin, contributed, many thanks mate

Clocks go back on Saturday night, so all you lucky people get an extra hour for your lockin! :clap:

I've just joined this forum so I can comment on this thread. I played ST:TNG a few times when I was at university (left in 1996), and think I had a go on a random machine in Blackpool at a similar time. Until this year that was pretty much it, had Pinball Dreams on Amiga when I was younger. I buy games on Steam, and randomly The Pinball Arcade came up in that list of games you click on to get free cards in summer or winter sales. Day before lots of tables were removed so I got ST:TNG and that is still all I've got in it. Couple of days later I discovered FX3 and now have about half the tables in that (likely just buy all the others in winter sale) including the new Williams pack.

Anyway, discovered that Play Expo was a 'thing' and as Blackpool is in day trip range I had a nice day out on the Saturday and had a go on at least 20 pinballs. Didn't realise that Northern Lights didn't get a portion of the entrance fee so just bought my ticket on the door.

Lots that I didn't try so definitely will be going to the next one (if its in the middle of Manchester more likely to go by train than drive) in the north west. I've been having a look on the pinformer map, but doesn't seem to be any at all in the Penrith/Carlisle area.

Is it quite common on here, discovering digital pinball then wanting a go on the physical versions?

Back
Top Bottom