What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Spike Voltage

Took my old trusty soldering iron to work with me today, removed the capacitors and re soldered them on my lunch break, rushed home plugged it all in and i was playing Kiss at last, damn i am one happy guy, i'm loving this game ..love the music, i know that people are saying that Stern have neglected the code but it's still cool to me..hopefully if they do update at some point it will make it even better..thanks for everyone's replies..rock on :)

Great news. It is definitely a game I would like to own at some point. Not many of them over here I think.

great news have you got the topper on that kiss it looks awesome on my friends premium
could i have the guys web site or email as i think i need one of these boards

great news have you got the topper on that kiss it looks awesome on my friends premium
could i have the guys web site or email as i think i need one of these boards

Yes i have the topper for the game and you are right it does look awesome..definitely adds to the whole experience.

I sent an email to the guy who supplies the boards to ask if it is ok that you have his email, i need to ask him first as he just does it as a hobby..he can sometimes take a while to answer but as soon as he does i will let you know.

Last edited:
I'm lovin it...but when you like the music it helps a lot, why are there not many over here?
They have never been anywhere near as big over here have they ? I don't know a right lot about them or their music but the pin looks a good layout (so good they copied it for Aerosmith) and looks fun to play.

I like the game it's pretty hard to understand but plays well I don't think the premium or le is worth the extra money but if you are a kiss fan I can see why you would go for it defo a good buy on the second hand market

Something else I have just realised after watching a video on YouTube ...the Toppet is supposed to interact with the game, flash and roll etc..but mine just stays static lights on..am I being thick here or is there something you have to set up?

The topper should do all sorts of light up sequences and flash to the best of the music has it got the data lead in it bridged to cn 3 and I assume you have the latest software installed as the early ones do not support the topper

Thank you Chris.....I know that is gonna be the solution..the game software has not been updated..doh.....I did not realise the topper was not supported on the older software..gonna update now..was starting to think I had a faulty topper too

I don't know if my luck is getting worse or what..did the update so now the topper is working properly but the game is now throwing up 2 errors...technician alert 'check switch #19 trough #3 and check node board 9 not initialised ?

When I first turn the game on it says :

updating node board runtime failed please power recycle

I have been reading in Pinside about faulty node boards..more boards to go faulty?

Fook sake..i have now got half a machine..no pop bumpers, up slings whatever they are.... such an expensive machine should not have these problems

That's the middle node board I think swap with a different one and see if the fault migrates

Chris, so i can just use one of the other working node boards on the game ..i was afraid to do that in case they were specific to that area of the game, if it is faulty can they be repaired and can you recommend anyone..pretty poor that they fail so much.

I updated the code 4 times :(

Check the manual but I am pretty sure all 3 are the same it's pretty common the node board update failed and I don't know anybody who can repair them yet Marco sell them or phil at ph may have them

Yeah..they are pretty expensive..i am annoyed that this has just happened from a software update, not really good...looks like it's just gonna sit here unused for quite a while cause i ain't spending any more money on it, think this has made my mind up..no more Stern games for me if this is the way things are going.

You could try e mailing stern but with it being an import then I don't think you will have much luck you may be able to get an advanced replacement from electrocoin a bit cheeper

Yeah i took my chances..probably because Metallica has never had any issues...i still think that this new Spike system is more about saving money for Stern, what i'm reading on Pinside there are way too many faults on this system especially with these node boards..i'm officially sickened...it can sit here collecting dust...i might get back to it somewhere down the line.

Bit of an update...was working with the american supplier to get a new node board free which was close to happening, then we decided to check that the 48v was getting to that particular node and it turned out it wasn't..there was no supply at all, so now we were thinking is this a power distribution board issue, i tried something today..i unplugged the topper and restarted the game, hey presto everything was working again..plugged in the topper thinking that this would cut the node out again but it didn't..played about 6 or 7 games..everything now working 100% topper included..don't know exactly what the problem was but at least i am back rockin 'n' rollin again :clap:

Back
Top Bottom