What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Spike Voltage

chuckychucks

Registered
Hi

I have a US machine and notice that the power supply has been re-located to the back box but i cant find the small plug with the 120/240 voltage that used to be located under the playfield.

A friend had suggested that the power supply is now auto switching, can anyone with any knowledge confirm that this is correct, i'm afraid to turn the game on in case i blow the crap out of it,

Thanks for any advice.

Not sure open up the psu and have a look if you are in Europe or the uk it won't work anyway as you are not one the correct frequency
Or have you found a hack interesting post

Not sure open up the psu and have a look if you are in Europe or the uk it won't work anyway as you are not one the correct frequency
Or have you found a hack interesting post
Yeah the first thing that struck me was the frequency lock. Be interesting to find out if it works.

Hi Chris

Yes i know a guy who designs the frequency boards, i have one in my US Metallica which needed a bit of solder work, but the Spike hack board is plug n play...i forgot to ask him about the voltage on the Spike system and i cant get hold of him at the minute.

Yeah I did save..it was a HUO game but I got it at a real good price..even with the import duty, freight and exchange rate I still saved a decent amount...the only downside is there is no warranty of any kind but I'll take my chances

I have two main people i talk to in the US one of them has a lot of contacts so it opens it up a bit for used stuff, i kinda built up a trust with them..but i understand that it is hard to get the average seller in the US to ship international.

Exchange rate is really killing it at the minute, hope it improves sooner rather than later...i have my mind set on an Aerosmith or Ghostbusters for my next purchase but because of the exchange rate the sale price would have to be pretty reasonable.

I'll keep you updated about the voltage situation, hopefully someone can confirm or my friend will get back to me.

I was curious about this so I had a look at the manual. I owned a kissLE for a while.
It does appear that the input line voltage is 100 to 240.
If you look at the connector CN2 in the diagram.
Hope this helps...IMG_2073.PNG

Toads

Yes i did notice that but i'm still uneasy about turning the power on, with regards to the fuse..is it a standard 5a fuse?

Well tonight has made me a nervous wreck..finally turned the game on, up popped Kiss LE on the DMD, i opened the coin door to push the credit button, then a very loud crack followed by smoke...i nearly crapped my pants, turned it off..the smoke looked like it was coming from the spike board...pulled the board..checked all around it for damaged components and burn marks..but nothing??

Now i'm thinking well now i'm fooked..tried turning on the game again..but completely dead..pulled the frequency mod..which was beside the spike board..plugged the game back in and on it came but saying wrong region...looked at the frequency board...and the top of one of the capacitors has been blown open?? that explains the smoke, at least the game is ok..although now it's a very expensive paper weight :-(

Where did you get the hack board from

I got it off a guy on the German forums, he makes them as a hobby..i have one running in my Metallica with no issues at all so i am hoping that maybe this capacitor was faulty and that's it.

Here is a photo :

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 58
The SAM mod had to be soldered to one of the boards, this one was designed for Spike..he told me it had been running with no problems in a Kiss LE....no soldering required with this one..just plug 'n' play, well supposed to be...it did work for like 3 seconds and then lights out??

Well i spoke to the guy tonight, turns out he put the two capacitors in the wrong place because i made him hurry to build them :) the 25v cap should have been 100v and vice versa..since the game sends out 48v the cap blew..he was very apologetic, so now to get them changed.

Chris i believe they were around 80 euro + shipping, i will keep you updated if i get it working.

Well i spoke to the guy tonight, turns out he put the two capacitors in the wrong place because i made him hurry to build them :) the 25v cap should have been 100v and vice versa..since the game sends out 48v the cap blew..he was very apologetic, so now to get them changed.

Chris i believe they were around 80 euro + shipping, i will keep you updated if i get it working.
Looks like @Paul R Owen was right. :)

Back
Top Bottom