What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Have Woken Up

Marcel

Site Supporter
Just read the article below and I have to say I am pleased. In stating that Stern will no longer make LE's after the initial run, they have finally done what should have been the status quo from the outside, thus they have stopped dumping on their customers love for a game and their wallet.

Whilst I have not been in the situation of owning an LE that has subsequently been proven not to be "such" an LE, if I had owned something like EHOH LE, I reckon I'd have been peeved that there ended up being 40th Anniversary and the Blood Red edition, I can't remember, was there another too.
It was an abuse of their customers hopes of individuality and in my opinion a total p*** take.

I am hoping that somewhere in the ether, Stern happened to listen to its customers either by direct complaints or reading the forums on this topic.
Quite possibly though, the awful looking Blood Red Kiss LE was the final straw for customers and nobody purchased in any meaningful number to make it worth their while and they finally took heed due to receiving a bloody nose from their fed up customers.
I know that I have always wanted an EHOH LE, but the BRKiss was never an option, I hated it from the moment I saw it, and at the very same time, I thought to myself, WTAF would I think if I already owned an LE and it was watered down by the additional subsequent LE offerings.

Only time will tell, but when it's their 50th, will greed get the better of them once more, will they be able to resist a 50th Anniversary LE on the super sell top 5 game of all time which when released during their 49th year, had its very own LE...

The thought has not fully entered my head that they may introduce 2 different LE versions of the same game right at the outset, at the same launch.
Strangely though, I would feel far less cheated, in fact wholly acceptable if this was the situation and each had a run of 250 sequenced games.
At least there would be full disclosure from the outset 🤔

Best thing in that press release is that new code will be for old as well as new reissues. However, what’s the odds that the new code has to be paid for?

Best thing in that press release is that new code will be for old as well as new reissues. However, what’s the odds that the new code has to be paid for?
Having to pay for new code would be a further poor move imo, if a game needs code, it needs code. It could be perceived that they'd have no interest in getting the best code from the outset.
Code should always be free.

Pass those grains of salt

That does not mean they wont tweek a proven layout and stick an even higher price tag on it (Batman TDK, and Batman '66)
Now they are just the KAPOW editions

I really like the blood red edition. Best of the bunch.
Unusual pin. Definitely one for the collector!
Yep, as with all things in life, there's going to be people with differing tastes and that is absolutely fine. And your right, it may well end up being the most collectable of the lot. But you know that had you purchased the original LE, you would have been upset for a better looking version to be released then..

Nah, you will have monetised ads to watch before you play a game. Good old $tern™.

Well, it does seem like older games will be re-made.

Next release is supposedly Metallica.

But enhanced with the new Spike 3 system ( debut ).

Could be a completely new game or a hybrid of sorts.

It will be interesting to see what price they put on re-runs of older DMD games. Even the likes of GB, BM66, LOTR ect. would surely need to be sub 10k for a premium and even then how much interest would they draw?

For me if its just a remake bolt for bolt then I've no interest whatsoever but if like CGC they improve the lighting, Sculpts and add a nice topper then thats a different matter.

Fro example take one of my fav DMD pins of all times which is MET. Imagine if Stern remade it like CGC with updated graphics inc the larger DMD, Expression lighting with UV effects and reactive artwork on the PF & sideblades. Rework the sculpts and put the cherry on top by adding a kickass Topper like the CGC remakes.
Do this with all the in demand DMD games and they onto a winner, heck id even buy another GB if they sorted the flipper gap issue 😂

This would cater to the collectors market by filtering prices down the ranks and give everyone a choice whether a purist and prefer the original or crave the new pimped up style. This would be a licence to print money in these dark times and we know how stern like there money!

Just read the article below and I have to say I am pleased. In stating that Stern will no longer make LE's after the initial run, they have finally done what should have been the status quo from the outside, thus they have stopped dumping on their customers love for a game and their wallet.

Whilst I have not been in the situation of owning an LE that has subsequently been proven not to be "such" an LE, if I had owned something like EHOH LE, I reckon I'd have been peeved that there ended up being 40th Anniversary and the Blood Red edition, I can't remember, was there another too.
It was an abuse of their customers hopes of individuality and in my opinion a total p*** take.

I am hoping that somewhere in the ether, Stern happened to listen to its customers either by direct complaints or reading the forums on this topic.
Quite possibly though, the awful looking Blood Red Kiss LE was the final straw for customers and nobody purchased in any meaningful number to make it worth their while and they finally took heed due to receiving a bloody nose from their fed up customers.
I know that I have always wanted an EHOH LE, but the BRKiss was never an option, I hated it from the moment I saw it, and at the very same time, I thought to myself, WTAF would I think if I already owned an LE and it was watered down by the additional subsequent LE offerings.

Only time will tell, but when it's their 50th, will greed get the better of them once more, will they be able to resist a 50th Anniversary LE on the super sell top 5 game of all time which when released during their 49th year, had its very own LE...

The thought has not fully entered my head that they may introduce 2 different LE versions of the same game right at the outset, at the same launch.
Strangely though, I would feel far less cheated, in fact wholly acceptable if this was the situation and each had a run of 250 sequenced games.
At least there would be full disclosure from the outset 🤔

But before you celebrate that woolly statement, they don’t market them as LE’s so plenty of scope for a play on words here….

I’d trust a politician more !

I'm torn on this part about remaking old games.

Part of me would love a LOTR remake. But I'm not sure I'd be thrilled to see Stern cost cutting on one. They made a big fuss about a plastic bucket in Jaws being an 'original sculpt'. Are they really going to pack the playfield with models? I somehow doubt it.

However, if they did LOTR well on a spike 2 without cost-cutting I'd buy one immediately (after selling some stuff 😂).

As for the LE's . . . . I'm quite sure they'll make anniversary and special editions.

It will be interesting to see what price they put on re-runs of older DMD games. Even the likes of GB, BM66, LOTR ect. would surely need to be sub 10k for a premium and even then how much interest would they draw?
Probably not a lot of interest here at current prices given what they go for used here but US is different market

1704538945138.png
1704538976166.png
1704539015181.png

Surely if you had to go back and get a licence and also have to stick it on the new spike system then you wouldn’t bother with a DMD but would go for proper video clips. LOTR and GOT would be ripe for this. Possibly with a way to toggle between a pretend DMD like MMr and a full video screen.

Similarly if they redo TWD they would then undo their **** up and use video/characters from the original show.

The backlash from existing owners would be hilarious but think about the price hikes they could get away with 😂

Some of the appeal with DMD is the fact that it’s DMD, old wooden back box etc……
Why not just re-run MET Prem the way it is, it’s kinda perfect for those that want one. No LFS to help with messing with code on a revamp.

Think they could end up digging a hole for themselves….

Let’s see the 2025 Premium 50th Anniversary Brody edition Jaws with ball eating shark make an appearance

All they are trying to do is drive the LE sales harder by introducing an element of certainty into the market following recent poor uptake.

Don't believe them for one minute, they'll milk an anniversary Godzilla and Jaws somehow ( wouldn't you ? )

The DMD is emulated on the LCD screen for test routines, so it could easily just be reproduced on the Spike hardware with LCD. They might even colour it themselves!

I’d welcome some older re-releases, as long as they come with backwards compatible software upgrades. They did it with IronMan after 10yrs.

All they are trying to do is drive the LE sales harder by introducing an element of certainty into the market following recent poor uptake.

Don't believe them for one minute, they'll milk an anniversary Godzilla and Jaws somehow ( wouldn't you ? )
Tend to agree, on the first part regarding pushing LE's harder and the pretence of certainty.
But if they start milking an existing model ie anything in production prior to their 50th as a 50th, they are being rather disingenuous.

Even if it is not marketed as an LE but a 50th Anniversary, it would be an affront to existing LE owners after such a press release.
Time will tell I suppose.

The DMD is emulated on the LCD screen for test routines, so it could easily just be reproduced on the Spike hardware with LCD. They might even colour it themselves!

I’d welcome some older re-releases, as long as they come with backwards compatible software upgrades. They did it with IronMan after 10yrs.
Re-releases are well and truly a thing, existing MM owners had to get used to it first didn't they, but now we are all prepared for it on any game already. LOTR could well come soon.

However because LOTR already had the blinged up gold LE, from now on they have promised only to produce Pro or Premium remakes. Thus the LE remains a genuine rarity.

That is not in question, it is all about LE's and them not being LE's really when there are so many LE's for the same game ie EHOH a prime example. It stops people trusting Stern with an extra few extra dollars at the release date when an initial LE is released, only to be followed soon after if they found the first LE to be a success on the back of the underlying game being great.
That second run of LE's is ungentlemanly greedy company behaviour.

Next they should as standard put toppers on LE's

Where I sit is simple.

Go back to the days when all machines are the same model.

Knock this pro/premium thing on the head.

Spiderman and Family guy if released today (for example) would be considered Premiums. Family guy PRO would not have a mini playfield on it. Spiderman PRO would not have doc ock etc.....

Then do a limited run of each game if they wanted to with alternate art and powder coat.

People are paying over £8K for a pro. That is A LOT OF CASH. I do not care if you earn that in a week - my van was £12K. My wife who works part time gets a little more than 8K after tax a year.

This idea would mean it is cheaper to make. They only have to make one playfield, one lot of mechs etc.

I think they need to up their game!

Just read an update on this, and George Gomez has now said:-

"Looks like lots of confusion on the topic of future LE’s…to clarify, the magic words are LE. We may celebrate anniversaries with Prem level art packages or create other Premium level editions like Vaults, or remasters.”

🤔

Last edited:
Just read an update on this, and George Gomez has now said
"Looks like lots of confusion on the topic of future LE’s…to clarify, the magic words are LE. We may celebrate anniversaries with Prem level art packages or create other Premium level editions like Vaults, or remasters.”
So the other announcement was nothing. They'll still do ones like JP and Elvira

So the other announcement was nothing. They'll still do ones like JP and Elvira
Yes, they’ll redefine a different art package with powder coating (and a shaker motor) as an ’anniversary premium edition’, as opposed to the different art package, powder coating (and shaker motor) on the LE.

That means the anniversary edition can be cheaper than the LE, which will remain a cool £15-16k for a nice numbered plaque…

Just read an update on this, and George Gomez has now said
Lest we forget topper-gate.

Screenshot_20230110-221213_kindlephoto-841380078.png

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/st...eant-by-no-more-limited-editions-after-launch

Look forward to seeing future Premium anniversary VE's look better than LE's 😂

The announcement that they won't be running any other additional versions of LE's are good for collectors. Elvira Blood Kiss & JP 30th will now be very sought after I would think.

Looking forward to seeing the 70th Godzilla / Mecha Godzilla 50th Premium Anniversary Edition later this year 😜

Back
Top Bottom