What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Have Woken Up

I’ve heard even Neil has had enough of this nonsense and has finally made a stand!
He is now only ordering 1 LE to go with his Premium and pro😜
😂🤣😂 post of the year so far, bravo Col.

Neil did post publicly on Pinside he is done buying LEs from the U.K. and will be importing them from now on.

Just read an update on this, and George Gomez has now said:-

"Looks like lots of confusion on the topic of future LE’s…to clarify, the magic words are LE. We may celebrate anniversaries with Prem level art packages or create other Premium level editions like Vaults, or remasters.”

🤔
Interesting so for example if we got a tron vault Ironman or lotr then these would be premium games with a price tag of 11k ??

Interesting so for example if we got a tron vault Ironman or lotr then these would be premium games with a price tag of 11k ??
I reckon so Chris, I read the supposed confirmation as we won’t limit things and charge 16-25k for anniversaries anymore but we will charge premium pricing for old DMD models, that didn’t have a pro moniker that fall under a premium BOM costing.

Last edited:
So a new LOTR will be say 11k in the best exchange rate scenario and the one I sold my mate close to me for 6k had.

Genuine ColourDMD
Gold Plated Armour (zinc)
Speaker Lights
Palintir Mod
Full 24 piece protector set
Full Comet LED conversion
Titan Rubbers
Super nice Topper

It was lovely example HUO too

My Metallica Prem similar to above spec was £7.5

So why on earth would anyone pay 11k unless it had been CGC’esk blinged with topper?

Maybe stateside is full of Neil’s but I can’t see many making it to our shores.

So a new LOTR will be say 11k in the best exchange rate scenario and the one I sold my mate close to me for 6k had.

Genuine ColourDMD
Gold Plated Armour (zinc)
Speaker Lights
Palintir Mod
Full 24 piece protector set
Full Comet LED conversion
Titan Rubbers
Super nice Topper

It was lovely example HUO too

My Metallica Prem similar to above spec was £7.5

So why on earth would anyone pay 11k unless it had been CGC’esk blinged with topper?

Maybe stateside is full of Neil’s but I can’t see many making it to our shores.

As you know mate, I'll be in the market for one soon enough and would ideally like that spec or similar.

However, LOTR probably the one game I'd consider paying top money for but only if Stern did the fully business on it with LCD and all the bits inside. If Stern released a blinged modern version I'd have to get it.

Hearing that Ghostbusters may be the number 1 re-run from Spike1 to newer platform.
Def would be interested but not sure if it’s BS.

Hearing that Ghostbusters may be the number 1 re-run from Spike1 to newer platform.
Def would be interested but not sure if it’s BS.
Wouldn't they be reluctant as that's seen as celebrating the paedo game designer

Just read the article below and I have to say I am pleased. In stating that Stern will no longer make LE's after the initial run, they have finally done what should have been the status quo from the outside, thus they have stopped dumping on their customers love for a game and their wallet.

Whilst I have not been in the situation of owning an LE that has subsequently been proven not to be "such" an LE, if I had owned something like EHOH LE, I reckon I'd have been peeved that there ended up being 40th Anniversary and the Blood Red edition, I can't remember, was there another too.
It was an abuse of their customers hopes of individuality and in my opinion a total p*** take.

I am hoping that somewhere in the ether, Stern happened to listen to its customers either by direct complaints or reading the forums on this topic.
Quite possibly though, the awful looking Blood Red Kiss LE was the final straw for customers and nobody purchased in any meaningful number to make it worth their while and they finally took heed due to receiving a bloody nose from their fed up customers.
I know that I have always wanted an EHOH LE, but the BRKiss was never an option, I hated it from the moment I saw it, and at the very same time, I thought to myself, WTAF would I think if I already owned an LE and it was watered down by the additional subsequent LE offerings.

Only time will tell, but when it's their 50th, will greed get the better of them once more, will they be able to resist a 50th Anniversary LE on the super sell top 5 game of all time which when released during their 49th year, had its very own LE...

The thought has not fully entered my head that they may introduce 2 different LE versions of the same game right at the outset, at the same launch.
Strangely though, I would feel far less cheated, in fact wholly acceptable if this was the situation and each had a run of 250 sequenced games.
At least there would be full disclosure from the outset 🤔

Are they going to finish up indy and wheel of fortune, lol...

Where I sit is simple.

Go back to the days when all machines are the same model.

Knock this pro/premium thing on the head.

Spiderman and Family guy if released today (for example) would be considered Premiums. Family guy PRO would not have a mini playfield on it. Spiderman PRO would not have doc ock etc.....

Then do a limited run of each game if they wanted to with alternate art and powder coat.

People are paying over £8K for a pro. That is A LOT OF CASH. I do not care if you earn that in a week - my van was £12K. My wife who works part time gets a little more than 8K after tax a year.

This idea would mean it is cheaper to make. They only have to make one playfield, one lot of mechs etc.

I think they need to up their game!

My thought for ages has been they should just start making playfield kits. All stern cabs are the same with the same hardware in, so buy 1 game initially then you can pick and choose what playfield you want from the next release, pro or premium. Forget the le ****e..

Would be cheaper for everyone and less frikin hassle moving games on/putting in games rooms. All you have to sell /trade is a playfield in a box etc not a full machine..

Any lets be honest who is really looking at the cabinet art anyway when its next to other games. So you dont need to bother with any decals to include etc, even a translite is not that essential, though probably better to include

My thought for ages has been they should just start making playfield kits. All stern cabs are the same with the same hardware in, so buy 1 game initially then you can pick and choose what playfield you want from the next release, pro or premium. Forget the le ****e..

Would be cheaper for everyone and less frikin hassle moving games on/putting in games rooms. All you have to sell /trade is a playfield in a box etc not a full machine..

Any lets be honest who is really looking at the cabinet art anyway when its next to other games. So you dont need to bother with any decals to include etc, even a translite is not that essential, though probably better to include
Well it is not a new concept but back in P2000 days machines were of course on site. Home use now is a massive market - in the UK it is the main outlet as you are well aware @myPinballs so perhaps it could work....

Be nothing to stop you having a box under your stern pin with 2 other populated playfields.

Make a 'Stern' branded cab - do most collectors out there see any side art?

It is also maybe time for Stern to bring out SPIKE 3.

😂🤣😂 post of the year so far, bravo Col.

Neil did post publicly on Pinside he is done buying LEs from the U.K. and will be importing them from now on.
Yeah - we will wait and see on that one.....

The amount of people who import one pinball machine - then realise it is hassle with all the customs/vat/any damage etc.....

Electrocoin wont help you with any faults/replacement parts under warranty as it is a grey import.

I also remember the same Neil mentioning he wont pay more than £10K for an LE.

Wouldn't they be reluctant as that's seen as celebrating the paedo game designer
Unknown, maybe Stern make a few changes by another designer who takes ownership to sort flipper gap etc…..
Loads of peeps love the game, don’t really see them boycotting, refusing to play their existing ones or selling them off to get rid

Hard to say without doing it but would changing the flipper gap negatively affect the shot geometry?
It seems to be the biggest complaint with GB.
I think if they upgraded from Spike 1 it may be something they look at - what we talking, around 5mm either side?
it’s a cracking license / theme

The US still play Gary Glitter songs at pretty much every sports match. Presidential candidates have come on stage to his stuff. Can’t see massive outrage over a pinball designer.

The US still play Gary Glitter songs at pretty much every sports match. Presidential candidates have come on stage to his stuff. Can’t see massive outrage over a pinball designer.
I did Disco’s for friends in the 80’s, one was a wedding disco for a work colleague who loved Gary Glitter as did his mates. I had to play a load of his tunes!
Also met his daughter on a River Thames disco boat by Westminster, she took a liking to me but my wife (then girlfriend) wasn’t happy😂

Hard to say without doing it but would changing the flipper gap negatively affect the shot geometry?
I don’t think so as the gap was incorrectly read going into production, so if anything it should improve the shot geometry, although a standard flipper gap would be much more ideal.

I can’t remember the exact specifics but I recall the talk about it over on Pinside (from a podcast or interview I think) that the gap in ghostbusters is actually bigger than the usual flipper gap from Trudeau.

Something was read or miscalculated making the Trudeau gap even bigger due to an error being made when producing the playfields. If you search Pinside you could probably find the info.

Last edited:
I don’t think so as the gap was incorrectly read going into production, so if anything it should improve the hot geometry, although a standard flipper gap would be much more ideal.

I can’t remember the exact specifics but I recall the talk about it over on Pinside (from a podcast or interview I think) that the gap in ghostbusters is actually bigger than the usual flipper gap from Trudeau.

Something was read or miscalculated making the Trudeau gap even bigger due to an error being made when producing the playfields. If you search Pinside you could probably find the info.
I don't doubt it but hard to believe there weren't more checks in place to prevent such a huge blunder.

Ref Ghostbusters - Stern dont give two hoots about Trudeau.
He would of been paid already - on a wage or contract.
Stern will own the game.
But seriously? Why look back on old games?
You didnt get the Beatles record 4 albums and then just keep re-releasing them.
Or do they know an awful lot of post 2000 games lack imagination?

But seriously? Why look back on old games?
You didnt get the Beatles record 4 albums and then just keep re-releasing them.
Or do they know an awful lot of post 2000 games lack imagination?

A song doesn't require you to own a £6k bit of kit to enjoy - so the majority of people who wanted to enjoy that album could listen to it until the vinyl went bare if they wanted to. The market is demonstrating that there are people are willing to buy LOTR, GB etc., at NIB prices, so it's a fairly safe bet to remake them. Plus if I want any beatles album, I can walk into a shop (or tap on my phone) and get it, they didn't stop selling each previous album the second the next one came out did they? :p

A song doesn't require you to own a £6k bit of kit to enjoy - so the majority of people who wanted to enjoy that album could listen to it until the vinyl went bare if they wanted to. The market is demonstrating that there are people are willing to buy LOTR, GB etc., at NIB prices, so it's a fairly safe bet to remake them. Plus if I want any beatles album, I can walk into a shop (or tap on my phone) and get it, they didn't stop selling each previous album the second the next one came out did they? :p
James - you miss the point completely.

It was an example......

If the Beatles stopped after 4 albums and not released later works (that in most peoples eyes are better) - then they wouldnt be selling stuff in 2024.

What if CGC made 5000 more MM - would they all sell?

People always seem to want (and pay thru the nose) for something they can not have,

James - you miss the point completely.

It was an example......

If the Beatles stopped after 4 albums and not released later works (that in most peoples eyes are better) - then they wouldnt be selling stuff in 2024.

What if CGC made 5000 more MM - would they all sell?

People always seem to want (and pay thru the nose) for something they can not have,

I don’t foresee Stern stopping making new games either though, do you? The question is whether they’ve hit that difficult second studio album phase, or are going acid jazz for some reason and actually everyone wants their older stuff on the reunion tour, not to be shilled the newer filler.

UPDATE BELOW:

"Looks like lots of confusion on the topic of future LE’s…to clarify, the magic words are LE. We may celebrate anniversaries with Prem level art packages or create other Premium level editions like Vaults, or remasters.

We won’t make additional version LE’s...

I’ll be reiterating that stuff on podcasts."

He went on to add: "Any future anniversary edition will be based on a Premium game and not numbered or limited."

UPDATE BELOW:

"Looks like lots of confusion on the topic of future LE’s…to clarify, the magic words are LE. We may celebrate anniversaries with Prem level art packages or create other Premium level editions like Vaults, or remasters.

We won’t make additional version LE’s...

I’ll be reiterating that stuff on podcasts."

He went on to add: "Any future anniversary edition will be based on a Premium game and not numbered or limited."

Sounds like a load of old guff. The LE buyers are still highly likely to see better versions than theirs produced.

So they anniversary editions will be Premiums . . . in essence they can still make something like the Elvira blood red edition but they're just not calling it a limited edition 😂

To quote the best line in cinematic history, "Don't p1$$ down my back and tell me it's raining"

Back
Top Bottom